spacecadet
spacecadet New Reader
1/29/18 9:20 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

You absolutely NEED the van. Then you can have as much HP as your Autox ride! 

honda1
honda1 New Reader
2/27/18 8:17 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Check BaT, there may be something that interests you, hope all is well!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/27/18 8:37 a.m.

In reply to honda1 :

At first I thought you meant the E63 Wagon, but then I saw the White R63. The market is truly saturated. sad

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/27/18 10:10 a.m.

Not in any way to diminish the heroic repair you did, because that was awesome on a lot of levels, but of all the projects you have done, the Merc  has captivated me the least as a finished project. A bazzilion dollar Merc that looks like every other minivan is just not a vehicle I can relate to owning, and if I did I would be eternally scared of it getting dirty or dusty. The idea of letting kids in the thing is just wrong; they would have to go in a trailer!

Fergus or Ferdinand on the other hand, I can totally relate to; they are like a keg party on wheels, or at least what you would drive to a good keg party.  Moving forward, I will begrudge dollar one and any time that goes into the Merc rather than the COE. Maybe you should have killed two birds with one lug-nut and done a "Buy one Panzer-Mini- Van and get a "FREE Fergus" special?

Pete

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/27/18 10:36 a.m.

My CLS has a slight lifter tick when cold and sitting for a while, so once the weather warms up and I get the NSX out of hibernation I’ll going to replace the buckets, head bolts one by one, and Intake manifold gaskets.   Thankfully, you nicely listed all of the parts I’m going to need to make shopping easier, and I’ll re-read the relevant bits of the thread for any watch outs.  

mazdeuce - Seth
2/27/18 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

When you do, make sure you follow the directions and lock the timing on the cams by putting in the screw on the backside. If you don't then you have to go through all sorts of shenanigans to get things lined up again. 
If you want to borrow the cam holding tools I can send them out. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/27/18 1:06 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to honda1 :

At first I thought you meant the E63 Wagon, but then I saw the White R63. The market is truly saturated. sad

I wouldn't worry too much about that. From what I understand about the BaT process, if you submit the car to sell now, it probably won't actually list until a week or so after the current listing sells, unless they already have another one waiting.  Unlike eBay, BaT seems to work more on the "quality vs. quantity" premise and having two auctions competing for the same buyers at the same time is of no benefit to them.  

And lets face it - EVERYONE knows about your R63.  I think you might be surprised at the amount of interest it could generate.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/27/18 1:14 p.m.

I really want to sell it to someone I can talk to first. Even though I'm ready for it to move on, I'm still emotionally attached. If the V-wagon sells first I'll probably hold onto it for a while longer. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/27/18 2:04 p.m.

I can understand that. You have a lot of blood and tears invested in that van.  

honda1
honda1 New Reader
2/27/18 2:06 p.m.

You are selling both cars??

mazdeuce - Seth
2/27/18 2:10 p.m.

In reply to honda1 :

Yes, a reorganization of the fleet now that my oldest kids are starting to drive. We've decided to focus on cars that we can drive with them instead of cars to drive them around in. My oldest daughter legitimately loves the Volt. Kid#2 is bouncing off the walls waiting to get his permit so we can go rallycross the Accord. I still have the 911, and I have a couple of other cars that I'm thinking about when we reach empty nest stage. I'm not done having fun yet. laugh

honda1
honda1 New Reader
2/27/18 2:15 p.m.

I fully understand the kid thing. Good luck with both of the sales, they both should do very well. Thanks again for the threads you wrote about those two cars, myself and I know many others really enjoyed them!!

mazdeuce - Seth
2/27/18 3:00 p.m.

In reply to honda1 :

I'm genuinely happy that so many people have enjoyed reading this. I threw both cars up on a closed FB group for odd cars and the number of people coming out of the woodwork commenting that they read the thread in real time is humbling. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/27/18 4:33 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Sonic :

When you do, make sure you follow the directions and lock the timing on the cams by putting in the screw on the backside. If you don't then you have to go through all sorts of shenanigans to get things lined up again. 
If you want to borrow the cam holding tools I can send them out. 

When I get close to go time on the project I certainly will!  Thanks

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
2/27/18 4:40 p.m.

I'm in that group and honestly never thought that someone I know might be in the same group too. Seeing your name made me do a double take.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
2/27/18 5:19 p.m.

Damn. I saw the two cars and was like.. mazdeuce?

mazdeuce - Seth
2/27/18 7:02 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

There are quite a few of us there, like m4ff3w. laugh

If you think about the people that hang out here there should be a LOT of crosstalk. Bunch of weirdos the lot of us. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
2/27/18 7:28 p.m.

Yeah I think all my GRM Facebook friends are in that group. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/6/18 9:08 a.m.

The R63 ad is submitted to Autotrader and should go live shortly. I feel very weird. 
I listed it there instead of doing a BAT auction because I want to be able to talk to a potential owner first. I like it to go to an enthusiast but anyone who shows up with money is likely to take it home. I know selling it is the proper thing to do to adjust things for the fleet to work better with the kids driving, but just the process of listing it is very emotional. 

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/6/18 11:32 a.m.

Good luck with the sale! 

davefla
davefla New Reader
3/6/18 12:51 p.m.

You have pictures, words, and friends to help you remember. My advice is to drink some coffee and look at ads for sturdy, reasonably priced cars with manual shifters... and please do keep sharing. Not sure what the world will look like when my kids (currently ages 6 and 4) are ready to drive, but I will keep trying to share my love of things that go!

mazdeuce - Seth
3/6/18 2:32 p.m.

In reply to davefla :

Yes. I've already picked up the Accord and Duecekid#2 is chomping at the bit to mount some snows and get it on a rallycross course. Current rules means he has to wait a couple of months until he gets his permit, but I'm looking forward to sharing that with him. I'll keep writing, keep drinking coffee, keep having fun. Thank you. 

editus
editus New Reader
3/8/18 8:39 a.m.

And there it is in all of its glory on AutoTrader. What a great story.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
3/8/18 9:56 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
3/8/18 10:11 a.m.

In reply to editus and dj06482 :

I pull that up about five times a day just to look at it. I did have someone email me about it yesterday asking about receipts for headbot and lifter work. About that....... I'm going to sell this 100% honestly even if that makes it more difficult. 

Glamour shots. 

The entertaining part about trying to photograph a car right now is that the pine trees are dropping pollen. Great clouds of pollen. It takes about an hour for a clean car to look dusty. You have to wash it and IMMEDIATELY take pictures. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cpT3e3bc48kkocqIHAXmiQfT8lEpd6tdQf9lUaeVibSzPq6mlUCDv8bppxhE0p5Z