Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/4/18 9:45 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:
759NRNG said:

I would think the spanner would qualify as a trophy for a job well done and worthy of a shadow box display in the 'grosh' sporting an appropriate brass plaque. wink 

....and the plaque should read, "In case of emergency, break glass."

"In case of Mercedes, break glass"

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
10/5/18 2:01 a.m.
Slippery said:

I’ll make Noah another wrench if he ever needs it ... there you go I just jinxed him cheeky jk this should be an awesome people hauler after Mazdeuce addressed all the issues. 

That wrench is epic!!  Though I truly hope there is never a requirement for it...if there is I promise GRM will be the second to know, after my spouse.  

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
10/5/18 10:32 a.m.

this place is awesome. I've been on a bunch of the ford/tbird/fordsix/mustang boards since the 90s, and always would lurk here, so glad I decided to get more involved. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/9/18 11:57 a.m.

@NoahWeb

Congrats on the new car! Looking forward to reading your familys adventures with The Van. Stay safe in the ME

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
10/9/18 7:39 p.m.

Yes prayers and thank you for your service .......peace out

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/10/18 2:26 p.m.

Of all the people that entertained the idea of buying the R63 but ended up not doing it, I consider myself lucky to be one of the few that ever had the chance to drive it! Since I knew Seth before the R63, the main thing I took away from the whole story was Seth's 'growth' from dormant project in a collapsing swamp/garage, through building the Grosh mostly by himself, to then taking on the R63 job and eventually getting to a point (whether he feels that way or not) that now all tasks are not to be judged by whether you/he can do them, but simply whether he wants to. I just think it's awesome to get to a point where you don't have much left to prove to yourself about what you can do with your own 2 hands and to look at 'mountains' before you as now just... choices. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/11/18 11:24 a.m.
Vigo said:

Of all the people that entertained the idea of buying the R63 but ended up not doing it, I consider myself lucky to be one of the few that ever had the chance to drive it! Since I knew Seth before the R63, the main thing I took away from the whole story was Seth's 'growth' from dormant project in a collapsing swamp/garage, through building the Grosh mostly by himself, to then taking on the R63 job and eventually getting to a point (whether he feels that way or not) that now all tasks are not to be judged by whether you/he can do them, but simply whether he wants to. I just think it's awesome to get to a point where you don't have much left to prove to yourself about what you can do with your own 2 hands and to look at 'mountains' before you as now just... choices. 

Wow very well said! For those of us that don’t have the talent (speaking for my self only), to see Seth do it was vicariously living through him - was an awesome experience 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
10/11/18 4:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Jerry From LA said:
759NRNG said:

I would think the spanner would qualify as a trophy for a job well done and worthy of a shadow box display in the 'grosh' sporting an appropriate brass plaque. wink 

....and the plaque should read, "In case of emergency, break glass."

"In case of Mercedes, break glass"

It's implied.

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
10/28/18 12:01 a.m.

Yesterday we had the Super-Van detailed and applied an Optimum Ceramic Coating.  I called a trusted friend and professional from Dallas who spent about 8 hours cleaning, decontaminating the paint and finally protecting.  His skills with paint correction far exceed mine.  If you need a true Detailer in Texas, call Scott!  http://www.scottwax.com/. I’m still planning to complete the interior when I get back to a first world nation...

Of course, both the kiddos were on hand to assist!

Final completed version - 

In-Progress - 

Completed - 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/28/18 2:21 a.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

Looks amazing. How much did that cost? 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
10/28/18 5:58 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to NoahWeb :

Looks amazing. How much did that cost? 

Ceramic Coating requires that any surface imperfections be first removed.  It makes it the most time consuming step in the process.  If you hand wash your vehicle, generally speaking, a 1-step correction will remove enough swirls and blemishes in the clear-coat.  If you use automatic car washes, generally speaking, it will require 2-steps or more...thereby making the price go up.  

Prices vary between Detailer’s.  Scott’s initial price is $899, but it purely depends on the condition of the vehicle and amount of time required.  On the plus side, future washing goes much faster and the coating will last for several years as opposed to a wax.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/28/18 6:10 a.m.

Wow. He really made that better. Give him a high five for me. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
10/28/18 6:20 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Wow. He really made that better. Give him a high five for me. 

Can do!  She’s getting parked in the garage until I get home in December for leave.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/28/18 8:13 a.m.

Nice! My ex- recently did ceramic coating on her ND. Prep pretty much echoed what she said. She did it herself, although she's no stranger to extensive wax sessions.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/28/18 10:24 a.m.

In reply to NoahWeb :

Thank you for the detailed price breakdown 

much appreciated ! 

hatchback
hatchback New Reader
12/1/18 12:43 p.m.

I saw this R63 this morning while walking through the parking lots near Dallas Cars & Coffee and wanted to share here. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
12/21/18 8:07 a.m.

Finally back in the United States for ~18 days before returning to Saudi.  The perk...I finally got to drive the R63, but not before having to follow behind it.  Thanks to United for canceling our flight from Houston to Killeen, so we rented an excellent Chevy Impala and drove the 180 miles home.  To return the rental I had to follow behind the R63...my wife thought it fitting to demonstrate the R63s power/speed while entering the on-ramp with me trying to catch up in the Impala.  

Anyway, the R63 delivers its power in a completely different fashion than my previous Audi RS4.  The RS4 was visceral and ripping through the rev-range blisteringly quick; a perk of direct injection and lower displacement.  The R63 is simply a beast in power delivery.  There is such a depth and reserve of power/torque in any gear that it is supremely capable of the school run and equally barnstorming down the highway.  A deep-breathing engine for sure!  First fill-up...11.7 MPG.  Loving it so far!!  

While taking my oldest to a grocery store, he said that “we’ll get there faster because the super-van is so fast.”  

I’m building a list of items to clean/service/restore and am planning to order parts while back in Saudi.  Also planning to meet up with mazdeuce and shake his hand for the great care he provided...plus get some lunch!  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/21/18 9:31 a.m.

Nice, be safe. I am headed out to Dammam my self. 

mazdeuce - Seth
12/21/18 12:21 p.m.

Mrs. Deuce approves of your family calling the R63 a van. That's how we referred to it as it always felt like a van to us. A super van is about the best description there is. 

Enjoy your time back with the family and I look forward to meeting up in the spring. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
12/28/18 11:58 a.m.

The rear of the R63

The super-van was rear-ended today in a three-car accident.  We were the front vehicle, with a Chevy 2500 behind us, who was struck by a Kia that was running a red light.  The Kia swerved to miss the truck, hit it on the left rear and pushed it into the R63.  The impact speed to the R63 was ~5 mph and my 4 year old is OK stating "we just got in an accident."  

The R63's liftgate does not have a single mark and works just fine!  The damage, from am initial look, is contained to the rear bumper, crash bar, and the rear chrome decoration.  Built like a tank I guess!  Dealing with the insurance now...6 days before heading back to the mid-east.  I trust that USAA will live up to their reputation. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/28/18 1:12 p.m.

Yikes 

glad to hear family is safe . My kids go around in a lx570 

mazdeuce - Seth
12/28/18 3:41 p.m.

I was always most worried about a minor accident in the R63. Front and rear bumpers are unique according to Mercedes. Are there any others available somewhere in the world? I wonder who knows the answer to that. 

Glad to hear that it's minor and 5500lbs of German engineering do what they're supposed to keeping everyone safe. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/28/18 4:53 p.m.

you reckon this is a Merc part, or an AMG part?

you're flying through Germany on the way back to the sand?  AMG and Mercedes around around Stuttgart... and K-town's not that far off (neither is FRA).  Before you leave, you might through a tape around your bumper and see if a box would case it and stay under the USPS 108" limit (circumference+length)

mazdeuce - Seth
12/28/18 6:42 p.m.

All of the R class vans were built in Alabama. Not sure what that means about storing spare parts for over a decade. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
12/28/18 11:36 p.m.

I thought Dallas C&C was going the way of the dinosaur due to the number of Mustangs smacking the tollway retaining wall..... 

Dallas has many gifted detailers.  I know another guy that does it too.  He learned from a guy that does it for some shop near here that has a TV show.  Not a fan buy these guys can do paint correction and protection.  I’m going to get my P cars done this year.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PDqgKSlLwUjZlnLafbL2lSq7SHuB2TKH2T8gMetrnBh8TKtzb81BH8URmEfbjd47