6 7 8 9 10
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/8/22 12:12 a.m.

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any more awesome; it does! smiley

SanchinMiata
SanchinMiata Reader
3/8/22 8:06 a.m.

I dub thee "Mercenzo Benerrari". Go forth and conquer!

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
3/8/22 9:32 a.m.
SanchinMiata said:

Greatest. Name. Ever.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/8/22 11:58 a.m.

Whoof...  I might need a minute. 

What do you estimate your final weight would be around?

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
3/8/22 12:22 p.m.

Not the most powerful engine choice, but certainly one of the most unique and exotic. Any plans to squeeze some more power out of it after the install? 

This car is going to be spectacular when it's completed and I'm excited to see the results. 

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
3/8/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Targeting 3000 lbs. Fingers crossed...

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
3/8/22 1:52 p.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

No plans to extract more power. This build, as I suspect you can tell, is more about silliness than outright performance. I'll post some details about the team name and planned paint scheme, as well as what I expect is the last of the odd-ball changes being made to the car. Then it's "put up or shut up" time for me and getting focused on making this happen.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
3/8/22 1:55 p.m.
SanchinMiata said:

OK, I just may have to work this into the build. Then we'll need to figure out a way to meet up. Why? You'll need to sign the car as a contributor!

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
4/17/22 11:24 a.m.

The package has arrived. That trans looks big because it is: there is a cavity around the ring & pinion that's part of the dry sump system. And yes, I AM going to see if it might also fit in my 914. That induction system is likely a no-go for the Porsche but initial measurements suggests the length won't be a problem. And let me just get the obvious out of the way: "That's what she said!"

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
4/17/22 11:27 p.m.

Well, sorry about this. It turns out the Ferrari drive train DOES fit in a 914. So nicely that another 914 has been sourced to house it. Alas, Benzo Ferrari, she will not be.

Back to noodling on what to use. The originally planned LS/PDK? Or should it be a V12? I'll let you know as soon as I decide. Until then, enjoy the "proof of concept" fitting.

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
4/17/22 11:50 p.m.

Dude, you're killing me with these builds. Bravo

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
4/18/22 10:17 a.m.

And still mid-engined, at that!

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
4/18/22 10:48 a.m.

Please just leave it and build the 914..................thanks from a fellow 914 lover

CoolUserName
CoolUserName New Reader
4/30/22 10:01 p.m.

Whenever a Ferrari engine ends-up not in a Ferrari, it's a fun build. yes

hitek84
hitek84 New Reader
5/1/22 9:01 p.m.

I was thinking a V12/V8 from AMG/MB or something from another german source wouldn't be the wurst!

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
8/12/22 1:22 p.m.

Quick update. Apologies for the delays! RacerBenz is not forgotten! Other projects taking priority. I updated a ton of stuff on my LS/914 (see pic of the lovely engine bay) and attended the 914 West Coast Rally in July. In the meantime, RacerBenz was moved to a buddy's shop where I now have access to a 2-post lift. This will greatly simplify getting the suspension cradles set up and into the chassis. That said, it'll likely be a bit as I've started on the "F-NARP" project - the Ferrari 360 drive train into a 914. Those of you who know 914s know they have, in the past, been looked down upon and called "Not A Real Porsche" or NARPs. Stuff Ferrari into one? F-NARP! Anyway, if you want to follow along, I've started on the build. Link to the 914 World thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=359314

mfennell
mfennell Reader
8/12/22 3:44 p.m.

I just went through your 914world thread.  Epic.

Random comments (that you may already know):

You mentioned getting rid of the trans fluid heat exchanger for a traditional air-to-oil unit.  On the street, I suspect its primary purpose is actually to warm the fluid so you can shift into second relatively soon after you start the car.  You might not be happy with the results of a normal cooler.

I don't know how one would work on the engine in the car w/o an access panel from the interior but I know this is not your first rodeo.  Related: if you have them, mock up the coolant lines.  A factory hard line goes in front of the engine from top to bottom.  A minor position tweak might save some fabrication later.  

The exhaust cams are two position variable (10 degrees?), controlled by solenoids going into the heads.  It looks like the MoTeC should have enough outputs to handle it.  Just another thing to do. :)

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
12/25/22 12:59 p.m.

Hey all - I bet you thought I'd given up on RacerBenz. Oh, ye of little faith... OK, it has been seriously delayed, yes. My LS 914 and the 914 Ferrari have been center stage for a minute. But I am back on it - that's the good news. The less-than-good news is that in trying to finalize the rear wheel camber and toe settings ahead of final welding in the 'Vette frame sections, well, I couldn't get things to spec! After some careful analysis, it turns out the right side 'Vette frame rail section is bent and making it impossible to get proper camber values. Give that side was wacked, I opted to source replacements for both sides, just to be sure. Those should be here soon and I'll be back at it! 

Also, by the end of the year, I'll be launching "At The Red Barn", a more polished YouTube channel (vs the raw footage I've just been chucking up there) where I'll be updating this build and both the 914 projects. I'll post a link, once the channel is live - hope you join me there. In the meantime, I figured you'd at least appreciate a pic or two of the current state of the 914 Ferrari build.

Merry, Happy, everybody!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/25/22 1:42 p.m.

Well Golly, two of them?

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
5/7/23 11:34 a.m.

Apologies for the delay! I've been focused on launching my "At The Red Barn" YouTube channel, working on the 914 Ferrari and having a bit of fun with the LS3 914 -including having Randy Pobst drive it and it being accepted as a display vehicle at Luft 9. Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire called it out as one of his favorites at the event, and it even showed up in an on-line Road & Track picture review of Luft. So a few really cool things have been going on.

Here's a link to At The Red Barn on YouTube, for those interested.

Anyway, back to RacerBenz. Turns out one of the 'Vette rear frame sections is bent. I figured this out when trying to get the rear into rough alignment ahead of final welding in of the frame rails. Replacements have been sourced and that'll all be addressed soon. But I wanted to get started on the front - where it also turns out the 'Vette A-arm mouting width is a near perfect dimension to fit on the outside of the existing Benz frame rails. This means it should be possible to "simply" add mounting bosses to the underside of the Benz rails that allow for mounting the 'Vette cradle. Then the cage will tie into the top side and help support the upper A-arm mount. 

In short, progress! And a pic. It's good to be back on this build.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
5/28/23 1:20 p.m.

What are the odds? After some reasonably accurate measuring/eyeballing, it turns out the Benz frame rails are (essentially) the correct height and width to accept the 'Vette front cradle - minor "adjustments" aside.

The front cradle mount will sit right against the underside of the Benz rail while the rear is, conveniently, lower than the rail and will simply need some sort of extended pick up mount.

First thing was to clearance the underside of the frame to make room for this small plate. The spear (one per side) is a locator pin that is responsible for accurately locating the cradle. The plate has an all-but-snug fit to the pin. The tube is there to serve as a support sleeve that prevents the Benz frame rail from deforming when the cradle bolts on. You can see in the later pics how it pokes through the top of the frame rail. That'll get welded to a spreader plate that's welded to the top of the rail. Probably plated from there to the lower plate, just for overkill's sake.

The other cool thing is that I was able to add a slotted extension to the front of the plate. That slot allows it to be bolted to the Benz's factory cradle pick-up point. I can then easily slide the whole contraption back/forth to get it aligned where I want it. I love it when a plan comes together! In all, a really tidy install looks possible!

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
5/28/23 8:28 p.m.

More careful measuring, some CAD and plasma table action and I have a fixture that bolts to the factory Benz rear cradle mount and sets the distance to the rear of the locating plate I mentioned above.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
5/28/23 8:32 p.m.

With the fixtures in place on both sides and the 'Vette cradle leveled to the chassis, one might mistake it for factory. Might. cheeky

A final triple check of my assumptions and positions and I'll tack the front locating plates in and start fabbing the rear mounts. 

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
6/13/23 6:42 p.m.

Back at it after some time on prep'ing the LS 914 and taking it to the annual 914 World West Coast Ramble - this year in South Lake Tahoe. Anyway...

Today was spent fabbing the first of the rear mounts. Some cardboard templates, a bit of careful measuring and transferring the design to CAD, then fire up the plasma table and we have the components. I locked the 'Vette cradle in place and tacked the rear mount in place, using the cradle as the locating fixture. Just tacked until I can get the entire front suspension in place to check everything is where it should be, it can be brought into alignment, etc. 

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
6/13/23 6:52 p.m.

Then it was on to working out how to locate the 'Vette upper A-arm mounts. I decided to hack together a fixture that bolts to the cradle pick up points and two of the A-arm mounts. You can see (well, maybe you can't...) there's a section of the 'Vette frame rail that contains the mounting points as well as the upper shock mount. I'll slice this section off the frame rail (let's call it the "mounting location panel"), bolt it to the fixture then bolt it all to the cradle mounts on RacerBenz. It turns out these locations are (mostly) wider than the Benz frame rails by about 1/4", though I will have to clearance in a couple spots. With the fixture/mounting location panel in place, it's "connect the dots" and I'll have C5 front suspension!

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
grkFRNW2MBBBag9xdQquOpwSD3ldyL1Q65gcMzpNuu3gJhQIisCK6mOjom9v0dF9