Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
6/23/15 10:38 a.m.

After reading the GRM Facebook entry, it dawned on me how time is flying. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how anything built around 1990 would require restoration. It seems like yesterday but it's 25 years ago.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
6/23/15 10:31 p.m.

Wanted to replace the 25 year old clutch and add a lightened flywheel. After getting into the job, I decided it was time to just pull the whole engine and trans . Horrible job!

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
6/27/15 12:52 a.m.

Engine is all together. Lightened fly wheel on, clutch installed. Next step is to mate the trans with the engine and drop, it all into the car.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/27/15 10:47 a.m.

In reply to JohnnyBquick:

Just so you know, I'll be stealing this idea at some point...

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
6/27/15 2:15 p.m.

I got it from these guys.... http://www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
6/27/15 2:16 p.m.

Got the trans and engine mated. Now that lunch is over going to try to install it into the car.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/4/15 9:17 a.m.

Its been a trying month. Got the new engine in and everything working. Started the car and ran great. But there was a noise like a rod knock. This engine was one built 8 years ago and had it sitting on a shelf. Can not remember if I did the engine or let the machine shop finish it. But it did not work out the way I planned. My trip to the Carlisle event was cancelled of course.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/4/15 9:42 a.m.

Took that engine out. Bought forged pistons for the original Consulier engine and had them installed on the original rods. I assembled the engine and installed that back into the car. This engine has a forged crank, so guess its better anyway.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/4/15 9:44 a.m.

Got it all together and right away the clutch master cylinder went out. Changing that was fun :( . Changed the slave cylinder just a couple months ago. I drove it about 20 miles and all seems fine. So then took it to get the alignment done. Then drove it about 40 more miles. All working great. Time to change the break in oil. AND time for a road trip....

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/4/15 9:56 a.m.

Had a couple we know over for the night traveling through, heading south on highway 101. They both wanted a ride in the Consulier. She said she had a ride in a McLaren last week and that the ride in my car was more fun...really? Thats her opinion any way.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
8/4/15 10:19 a.m.
JohnnyBquick wrote: She said she had a ride in a McLaren last week and that the ride in my car was more fun...really? Thats her opinion any way.

Probably because there was more sensation of speed plus the open cockpit buffeting.

bgkast
bgkast UberDork
8/4/15 11:09 a.m.

Glad it's running again! Bringing it up to Portland anytime soon?

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/4/15 12:22 p.m.

Maybe...hope so.

Storz
Storz Dork
8/5/15 10:52 a.m.

More updates!! I love this thing

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/19/15 10:46 p.m.

Replaced the clutch master cylinder. Added a much louder horn. While car was on the lift, I re checked everything. Has had a handling issue that the alignments have not fixed. Have replaced all the ball joints, bushings, shocks, springs... but the stage handling was still there. Checking the wheel bearings I found them all good BUT found a rear/inner tie rod bad. Replaced it. Handles great now.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
8/19/15 10:47 p.m.

The new horn... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNE7D6w0Y5E

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
9/17/15 8:26 p.m.

Car show this coming Saturday Sept 19th in Gresham Oregon. At Gresham Dodge. Come by and say hello!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle HalfDork
9/17/15 8:29 p.m.

Congrats on making the magazine

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
9/20/15 9:31 p.m.

Thank you!

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
9/20/15 9:38 p.m.

Added a little fun to the car for the car show.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/22/15 8:54 a.m.

I would have had a hard time not adding a clear vacuum formed cover for the engine bay. Show off all that coolness.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
9/23/15 4:32 p.m.

I would like to know if I did this correctly. Made a bracket for the catch can. Moved the PCV system that was not working to the passenger side. Is this plumbed right?

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
9/23/15 5:25 p.m.

If that little white thing is a one way valve and your certain its going the right way, yes thats correct. Im not used to seeing them have a filter and still go back into the intake but if its not bleeding boost your good.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
10/5/15 3:22 p.m.

The white thing is just an elbow. The white "ring" is just part of a coupler. The creme colored piece is the PCV valve. AND decided to take the filter out of the system, it works much better now.

Went to southern California and back with it last week...2000 miles round trip. Car did great. Here is a photo while I stopped in Modesto to visit for a couple hours.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
10/9/15 10:25 p.m.

Wanted new seats. That last trip made me want something better. 25 year old Recaros are not that great. Bought a pair last week while in California (had them shipped home) and installed them this afternoon. BIG pain to adapt. New sliders would not work at all. Modified the original Recaro sliders to work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dUHVhE4hIOAPjmCDNjdS1zNeE6IYr10Y7v6rLcW61aoQwjpsIzheeUyJiJ3HToqF