pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/21/22 11:15 p.m.

Fingers crossed!

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
9/5/22 2:31 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Fingers crossed!

Yep, Havent Been able to Properly flog it with a good fuel load in there yet.

Will report when I do.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
9/5/22 2:31 p.m.

9/5/22:

Happy Labor Day!

I was busy Futzing with Stuff today. - No events to go to around here, as there is a stalled weather front dropping steady rain on us for the last day or so.

I adjusted the valves a few thou tighter a few weeks ago and in doing so the torque curve / power band moved up - It made the engine have a really smooth idle, but it was like having a Drag race engine as the seat of the pants power feel was moved up above 4000 RPM.

I Redid the valve Adjustment and went back looser - This Time Settled in at 0.024" for the intake and 0.028" for the exhaust.  I like a the torque  band a bit lower to get the car moving, not slipping the clutch as much, and it's useful when street driving with a trailer or something of the like. 

I also Finally got to use the 4 corner scales that I bought back in April... I hauled them to CMP but never got around to weighing anything, as I was busy with lots of various stuff here and there.  I had the flat / open / level space available in the garage were I like to do alignments and scaling open so I set it up.

I had added  or swapped a bunch of stuff since I last scaled the car, in July 2021 - on possibly a not level surface too :? .
Total Weight Last Year in Race ready Configuration without Driver or Driver Gear was 3028# - that was also with the Enkei's mounted which are about 8# lighter per corner than the Mustang Wheels Enkei's 16.X# vs Mustang wheels 24.X#

- Swapped the OE Hood for a 10# Fiberglass one
- Swapped the OE Seats for the Sparco's
- Added Proper Racing Harnesses on the Front Seats
- Added a Harness Bar an d Fire Extinguisher
- Added a Trailer Hitch
- Swapped the Mechanical Fan for an electric one.
- Added the Fuel Filler Valve.
- Added the S10 Lower Airdam

I weighed it today with all of that added or swapped stuff as well as the Mustang Wheels  ~+32#
2964# Total with 1/4 Tank of gas and the Heavier Mustang Wheels.

53.5% Front 46.5% Rear

Left 49.5% Right 50.5%

Hope to get some driving and autox in soon.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/7/22 12:43 p.m.

Would it be possible to improve the cross weight with some torsion bar adjustment?

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
9/7/22 10:12 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

I would think so, but then I think it would sacrifice consistent ride heights after the adjustments.  I am not sure which would be more useful or beneficial to how the car would be used. 

MadScientistMatt
9/8/22 12:43 p.m.

Should be possible to get both, although it may take a few iterations. Although I wonder how axle torque affects cross weight when actually racing. That's pretty impressive weight distribution for an A-body.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
10/12/22 11:15 a.m.

10/12/22:

BOOM!

I was getting ready to take the car out a show and drive in a few weeks, as I have not driven it in maybe a month.. Checked all the fluids... All good. - Adjusted the curb idle on the Carb, reset the toe,  and got the steering wheel back close to straight / center with the new steering box that was installed earlier this summer.

There is a road 4-5 miles from the garage that has ~300 foot elevation gain with twisties that I like to just wring out the car on.

I get to the top of of the hill and through some twisties and boom, no power - sounds like a piston is banging into the head and there was 10PSI oil pressure..  all without warning...

I shut the car off and drifted it to a clearing alongside the road... well crap, I left my phone at the garage for this joy ride. Fortunately, as I put my Hitchhiking thumb out,  the first guy driving past stopped to help. I told him to just ride me to the bottom of the hill on the outside of town, but he took me to the garage..  He was working on a '65 Ford comet.  Nice of him to give me a lift.

I got the car winched up on the trailer in an hour or so and rolled it off at the garage.  
This toy is broke for now, so time to pull the engine and see what happened - will do an autopsy report later.
AutoX and Fall Driving will hafta wait until the spring.
Hope to have some fuel injection installed with the next generation of the engine.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/12/22 11:20 a.m.

Boo!

MadScientistMatt
10/12/22 12:54 p.m.

Sorry to hear that.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
10/13/22 9:36 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Yes, thank you.

Well, as you know with your own project, it will afford the opportunity to improve things. I do want to add Either Port Or TB EFI to the Engine, so hopefully that will get done. The Short block was on loan to me anyway from a friend. I hate to give back the broken parts, so I will probably get this one fixed and then build my own. I have lots of core engines, cranks, Rods and Blocks around.  I do need to get a Cam Ground from Oregon Cams to match what is in there now.

I will miss driving the car for a while as it's the most exciting and fun to drive  of the vehicles I own currently. Not sure if I will ever get to own a Real sports car of any flavor.. so It's the Dart for now.

I just have to Save my Nickels and Dimes to buy parts and upgrade things where needed.  I have A MS3 ready to go for the car, just need the small bits and wiring as well as a fuel pump module.

I think I know what my winter project will be this year.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/1/23 9:54 a.m.

1/1/23:

Happy New Year.

Last year was full of ups and Downs for Grüne Hölle;
April - July:
The good:  Lots of Driving and Towing, a Track Day at CMP, A trip To Missouri and Back in 4 days with Daughter and trailer, and A trip to Carlisle.

Mid July - October:
The Bad:
I had the Fingers on the Pressure Plate Break, making the car undriveable... got that sorted out and fixed, then the engine went south.  Hopefully this will be a better year!

Starting off with selecting a Block to build:
Here is the Core Block, Greasy, Nasty, Full 'o Sludge, Fresh from my collection of things slant 6 - It had already been broken down in the attic, and I Boxed up the cam and sent it of to Oregon Cam Grinding To get a replica of the cam that is in the car now.

Cleaned and Ready for some prep work.
Let the degreasing, cam bearing removal, drilling, tapping, and grinding begin:

'Till Next time!

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/1/23 9:52 p.m.

Making Some Progress:

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/5/23 8:01 a.m.

1/5/23:

Making a bit more progress before it goes to the Machine Shop:

Broke out all of the porting tools..

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
1/5/23 8:12 a.m.

Sorry, when I saw Grüne Hölle in the title I thought of the Nürburgring.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/5/23 9:01 a.m.

I'll be very interested in seeing some dyno numbers on the 225 when you're done

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
1/5/23 11:00 a.m.

Looks great! following along

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/6/23 7:15 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Yes, Thanks I will be interested  too. One of my other Projects Dynoed' @ 189HP to the wheels - It's not a lot but way more than stock, and in a lighterish car it should be plenty of power. If I had a bunch more power I would get into a lot of trouble.... if I know myself.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/6/23 7:18 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Yes it's kind of something like that.  I did not met to confuse anyone, It's the project name i chose for the car. I would sure like to go back there again someday for touristenfahrten. It's doubtful that it would be with this car, I would just rent something on the content.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/6/23 7:19 a.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

Thanks, I will update as progress is made.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/6/23 8:21 a.m.

A heavily ported slant six with a lumpy cam and high compression at full song would sound amazing. Whats the whole motor plan for those of us who can't remember what day it is?

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/6/23 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Hi Michael, Basically the same as you saw it in April 2022 on the return trip from CMP.  - A fantastic 45cc Chamber Head with ~ (cant remember the exact sizes) 1.8" / 1.5" Valves fully ported head.  Same cam that is in the car now, ( I can never remeber cam specs without looking at my notes) Custom built by me oil Pan with all the oil control that I will need, Crank Scraper(s)  Stockish Block and +0.060" Replacement Pistons on reconditioned stock 225 Rods. Freshened stock crank as well.

Compression will be about 9.5:1.

You are sure making some progress with your Dusted Nascar body swap!  Too bad I could not have provided a body for your project!

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/6/23 9:39 a.m.

In reply to slantsix :

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...  once This engine is in and firing properly I have a Megasquirt III and intank fuel pump module that is ready to replace the Carb for my eventual transition to EFI.  First iteration of the EFI will be TBI, then to 6 ITB's .... DCOE Style with injectors as budget$ allow.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/6/23 11:20 a.m.

Itb slant six is a GLORIOUS idea.

And you did find me a body. Getting it back was cost prohibitive though. I appreciate your effort!

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/15/23 8:46 a.m.

1/15/23:

Block prep is completed with the tools and abilities I have available to me. Its now off to the machine shop for the final deck truing, boring etc.

Every time I build an engine, I invest a bit more in tools... This time a Scale that reads to 0.1g and a Connecting rod Balancing fixture.

Got all of the reciprocating and rotating weights matched to within 1g, and will be sending that information along with the Crankshaft to the Machine shop soon to be balanced.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/15/23 1:46 p.m.

Straight 6 engines sound glorious when wound up!   I'm excited about your new power plant!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e0TP1zUFM0pKgn62plrAjPQddrzLMfrF0Zu4Q24tzRhz9NRQnLdjGGXv5Odu5hiA