3 4 5 6 7
slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/12/20 7:33 p.m.

Sitting with it's slant 6 stablemates..

F body EFI'd volare in back, 69 Dart With Hyperpack goodies next to it.

Will be Autox'ing the 69 Dart on Sunday with SCCA Allegheny Highlands Reigon.

Car is not really set up for that but it will still be fun.

I think next month I will take the 64 for an autox.. I just have to be aware of oil starvation with no windage tray / scraper/ baffle in the stock slant pan

Greg

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/12/20 9:50 p.m.

On the rear end how are you keeping it centered without a panhard bar? Or is one there and I just can't see it? Like how this has turned out. There is a white one like this running around out here.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/12/20 10:34 p.m.

Its a triangulated 4 link.

I am not sure if it needs a panhard bar, the kit did not come with one.

Greg

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
6/13/20 11:37 a.m.
slantsix said:

Its a triangulated 4 link.

I am not sure if it needs a panhard bar, the kit did not come with one.⁹

Greg

The upper 2 angled links do the job of the panhard bar. No need in a triangulated setup. In a parallel 4 link. You need them, as there is no way for the parallel links to control the side to side motion of the rear axle, which is what the panhard does. The upper 2 on a triangulated setup not only keep the pinion from rotating but also help keep the axle centered. 

When you really get into dealing with being able to adjust instant centers, and such thats when things start to get murky and deep, quick. Triangulated setups are great as they introduce no bind. And can often be setup properly to have the instant center near the middle of the car and by playing with the angles of the upper bars you can achieve a proper roll center as well. But again, now you're getting into deep water and more than I care to type on a phone and begin to try to explain. 

The short is, on a triangulated setup, as you said, ita not needed. 

Great car by the way. Looks like an awesome project. 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/13/20 6:57 p.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

Thanks! Will be Autox'ing the 69 Dart tomorrow.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/17/20 6:51 a.m.

6/17/20

Over the weekend, my buddy Lou cam up from Blacksburg VA and we did some Auto X togther at an airstrip about 5 miles from muy house. I ran the Auto X in the 69 Dart. I went off more that stayed on course, but We had a great time and it was sure a learning experince for me!

We also got the Rear Disc Kit installed, Bled sorted, as well as the 3.91 with a Eaton Trutrac Center section installed in the 8 3/4 Rear Axle.

Everything went smoothly, however now the 3.91's don't necessarily play well with the stock wheezy 1 bbl, stock head, stock exhaust etc.

Bye Bye Drums... You may get used again on a Big bolt pattern swap or something, but to the attic you go!

11.7" Rear Discs in place:

Looking a but' tangy... Mustang that is.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/24/20 9:55 p.m.

6/24/20

I was Working on Adding some slowness.

Going from 10.87 Single Piston MoPar Discs and Calipers  to 13" Baer 6 Piston Calipers.

Gotta Get the Other side installed and Then Hoses Connected and then Bled.

Greg

wawazat
wawazat Dork
6/24/20 9:57 p.m.

Very nice!   If I can ask, why did you choose Baer brakes for your car?   I really like their new ReMaster brake MC.  

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/24/20 11:40 p.m.

Ok now I see the upper arms are at a angle to center. I missed that on the other pictures. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/25/20 7:02 a.m.

i like big brakes, and i can not lie

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/25/20 7:24 a.m.

Man, this is a really cool build. Can't wait to see what you do to the engine. smiley

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/25/20 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the Kind words Ian,

I will Taking the Car to the Chrysler Show in Carlisle in few weeks. They are supposed to have a Little AutoX on Friday So I am going to try to get involved there.  The Motor wont be built by then but a Shakedown with the New Discs an the T5 Will be fun!

I do Have to get some semi-Bespoke Goodies for the Engine Build....   Probably Next Summer or 2 I will get to that.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/25/20 2:26 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Well, It's a Bit of Ignorance on my part Probably..  But With the 17" Wheels you can't go Much Bigger than 13" Rotors.  Wilwood might have some stuff but I couldn't find a Bolt on Kit from them with the F-J-M Volare/Aspen Spindles that I am using on this car.

The Baer Stuff has been featured on other Protouring and serious MoPar Builds that I Have seen... specifically the Tim Werner "Red Brick" 68 Valiant that was built for serious track days and open Road Races etc.  Also the Way I understand it the Baer 6P Caliper uses the Same Brake Pad form factor as the C5? corvette.  So I have Plenty of pad selection to choose from!

Greg

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
6/25/20 5:57 p.m.

In reply to slantsix :

I had not seen the Red Brick before but boy do I approve!  Pretty sweet!

Thanks for putting it on my radar. 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/25/20 6:20 p.m.

In reply to jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) :

From what I understand the car has changed hands a few times over the last few years. I have the for sale ad listing all the car's options and goodies from the fabo forum on my home office wall...... It has guided me in the build and some choice$.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/28/20 7:48 p.m.

6/28/20

I got a bunch of small things done over the weekend;
In no particular order..
- Went through the distributor..  Found that It was a "Re manufactured" unit... the Advance Cans seem to be busted in the remaned units.  It was in this one.  The Advance springs were trash too.  The Slots in the Remaned unit did have the 0.400" slots so it limits the centrifugal advance to about 20°.

- I recurved the Dist with Charles' Spring Kit, and Found a working Advance Can on one of my distributors in the parts pile. It was an early 60's unit and it had the DpCiD stamped on the Diecast.  Amazing how a ~60 Part still works and the "new" Overseas garbage failed almost instantly.
- Also Installed a pertronix Ignitor II and Corresponding Coil.
- Did the Fuel Line Mod
- Installed a Tach with Sfift Lite. (setting the shift lite at 4200 RPM is Hilarious).
- Re-Bled the Front Calipers
- Might Have a Leaky Master Cylinder - New one is on order.
- Polished some more Stainless Trim.
- Removed the Dingus End of the Old 3 on the Tree Shifter and Replaced it with a Smooth Can on the steering column.

I Plan to do the Autox At the Carlisle Show in 2 weeks... should be a blast and Hopefully I don't have any issues with the Smalish not deep, not baffled stock Oil Pan.

Pics:
New Rev counter helps keep track of that screaming 1 barrel all the way up to 4,500 RPM's!!

No More 3 Speed Shifter Bits here...

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
7/1/20 7:51 p.m.

7/1/20

Replaced the Parts Store Aspen/ Volare Master Cylinder with essentially the same unit from Strange Engineering. Hopefully better build quality and longevity than the 1.25 Years I got out of the parts store unit.. the Front circuit on the Master started leaking into the side of the firewall etc.

I took it out for a drive and wow! A properly functioning master cylinder with those 6 piston discs up front will throw your fillings through the windshield :-)
- I had some severe front lockup on heavy braking on dry pavement so 3 turns of the prop. valve to send Bias to the rear fixed that!

Braking now seems fierce, balanced and linear.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
7/12/20 5:12 p.m.

7/12/20 Back From The Inaugural Weekend and It Didn't Disappoint :-)

Just Got back from the Carlisle Chrysler Show, and I feel like I had a pretty Epic Weekend.

Did the usual stuff, swap meet, bought parts, looked at cars, Wore a mask to keep the pandemic away....

But I also Did the AutoX (Carlisle calls it the Real Street Shootout) Car did well. Everything stayed together and was faster than some cars but slower than others. Had a Fuel starvation issue (I suspect on the Tight Corners the jet must get uncovered).. but Kept enough Earl in the bottom of the pan to not have an engine grenade with a stock pan.

Some other Highlights:
Drove ~ 670 Miles this weekend with hardly any interstates. >90% State and US Routes. Took a few friends up the Mountains and back.  

This is the most fun I have ever had with a 1 Bbl equipped car.
as James says.....  It needs Mo Powa Babeh! 

Sunday Morning we came up with our own Little 90 Mile Rally Route and Went over the mountains 4 times.
Awesome Test Weekend. 

Here's the proof:
In the Grid for the autoX:

Some Footage of the Car avoiding cones.. The thing is slow, but fun!

Then, Ryan, David and I went for a tour of the mountains:

We got out of the heavily populated areas during our motor tour.

Arrived Back at our meetup point; Ryan's Shop.

Some windshield shots on the way..

Greg

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/12/20 6:46 p.m.

That sounds like a hell of good weekend. Thanks for sharing all the great pics.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
7/12/20 7:07 p.m.

Car looks great and it looks like you are having fun!  Keep on doing what you are doing!

Scott

slantsix
slantsix Reader
7/13/20 12:25 p.m.

In reply to trumant (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks It was super fun!  Still grinning.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
7/13/20 12:25 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

10-4  ... Will do Boss!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/13/20 1:43 p.m.

very cool!

slantsix
slantsix Reader
7/26/20 7:24 a.m.

7/25/20

I have really been enjoying the Car lately... Went to the Bike trail on friday. 2 large mountain bikes can be fit in the trunk with some disassembly.

Also went to a drive in theater last night.
Took the girls and had a blast!
Brought an old school boom box along  'cause there is no Radio or speakers in Grüne Hölle.

Greg

slantsix
slantsix Reader
8/10/20 4:41 p.m.

8/10/20

Battery Is Moving to the back.

Making a Large, Low Battery Box that will fit a Group 24 Battery In the rear... hope to Get a smaller Braille or Odyssey Or equivalent $ometime.

Started some Fab Work on it today. Need some more Sheet Metal to complete the Box.

Hope to have it all burned in tomorrow... then run the Wire to the Starter.

Greg

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6C7JcGL1oi6JWQQtFKMNqMxQFUArJChJxdlqPLEbTGY069H86zXfaN8XVRWrwlpF