4 5 6 7 8
RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/15/18 2:26 p.m.

I am posting here only to remind myself that my baby girl is finally sleeping through the night and I've been watching tv in bed rather than working on Stinky Bert at night. Bad Ross, albeit a comfortable Ross. I didn't get my gas fireplace installed yet so it's still a bit cold.

A week later EDIT: I opened my big ugly mouth. The baby has been waking up once a night minimum. We have a 'high needs baby'.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/15/18 3:31 p.m.

Oh French oddness. I love it! And R8s look awesome.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
4/2/18 4:07 p.m.

Here’s some inspiration for you Ross. 

coexist
coexist Reader
4/2/18 11:49 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Looks fun, and I like the car, but the first thing that came to mind was this:

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
4/4/18 8:59 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

That camber change, tho...

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/28/18 1:28 p.m.

Stinky Bert was evicted to the machine shed while the Ranger got some front axle work done in the garage. My dad offered to do the work since the kids are so demanding yet. He finished up on Saturday so we rolled Bert back.

The conversation my wife and I had turned to "can the car go down a 70mph road?"

Followed by "...ahh maybe?"

"Then fix it with a different transmission that has parts available"

"That would a Porsche transmission. Minimum $1500."

"Ok then, do it."

My face grinning. I love my wife.

With wife enabled scope creep:

1.  911 transmission
  2. VAG hubs for rear (possibly front struts) with 4x100 and decent aftermarket support. Should have 10" rotors
  3. Miata front spindles with 10" rotors.
  4. VAG CV axles
  5. Kennedy adapter kit
  6. Turbo
  7. MS2
  8. Engine...

The last one. I think I want a Ford 4 cylinder. First thoughts were Zetec then Duratec. Then to Ecoboost 1.0, 1.6, 2.0... 

Then thoughts of high revving... Mazda 1.8 V6 from the MX3? Or...?

To be continued...

MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
5/28/18 1:51 p.m.

A tiny V6 would be fantastic! 60mph is about the limit of comfort in my R10. Let me know if you need any pics or info. I might get a few 688 manifold flanges laser cut as well

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/4/18 3:11 p.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

I don't think I'll need any 688 manifolds flanges, thanks for the offer. Are you going to need any 688 parts? Or suspension or brakes ...

I am currently awaiting for the arrival of this:

Included is a flywheel and a bunch of hardware. Only used in a mock-up. Thanks Olli in NJ!

I hope to go look at a Type 1 IRS beetle transaxle with a 3.83 ring gear this weekend.

It looks like I will be purchasing another Zetec! lol! The last one I bought was for a Locost that never got past the parts gathering stage. At least this time I already have the car in which it will be installed.

The turbo build might wait until a later date. I'm not sure I want to push more than Zetec's stock 128 hp and 135 ft-lbs through a stock beetle transaxle.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/5/18 12:33 p.m.

128HP/135 ft-lbs will motivate that car nicely.

This is a great project!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/5/18 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Especially since it's almost 3 times the original horsepower!

In other news, we had a bit of a leak in our roof and the roofer took my car fund away. So I'll have to wait on the transaxle shopping until the coffers accrue a bit more. #longestbuildthread #monthsbetweenprogressreposts

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder New Reader
6/5/18 2:51 p.m.

Love the car, and that shifter! lols

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/5/18 2:59 p.m.
BirgerBuilder said:

Love the car, and that shifter! lols

Quoted because that's how I'll have drive it! laugh

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/5/18 4:17 p.m.
RossD said:

In reply to Mezzanine :

Especially since it's almost 3 times the original horsepower!

In other news, we had a bit of a leak in our roof and the roofer took my car fund away. So I'll have to wait on the transaxle shopping until the coffers accrue a bit more. #longestbuildthread #monthsbetweenprogressreposts

Central air replacement did that too my car fund last summer. It sucks but the house is priority! Sometimes it feels like no progress but atleast the cars paid for!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/6/18 8:54 a.m.

A driving car would have a higher financial priority. Being a non driving project car, it's one of the lowest priority hobbies at the RossD family homestead, contrary to how much time I spend on GRM. My wife hit it on the head when she said that the Renault is there to keep my mind busy.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/16/18 1:13 p.m.

I bought that Type 1 transaxle with the 3.875:1 diff. Just waiting until some time to pass before buying an engine.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/6/18 6:57 p.m.

So I was working in the garage when I needed to stash my scaffolding off to the side, when this happened. It will easily clear. But what does it mean? I honestly don't know...

coexist
coexist Reader
9/14/18 11:36 a.m.

YES

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/14/18 6:24 p.m.

In reply to coexist :

Thanks for sharing. I was hoping more R8 prose but was still a fun read with pretty pictures.

I haven't forgotten about Stinky Bert. I am about to buy a zetec and some more suspension parts.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/27/18 6:40 p.m.

I have this:

And I want to get to a macpherson strut style upright with a 4x100 bolt pattern.

I am not well versed in CV axles, but I feel like it shouldnt be hard to find an off the shelf VW solution.

I guess I should validate using a front strut on the rear of the car. This is all for the Renault 8.

Another concern is axle length and trying to get the correct rotor diameter. Neither of which I have the dimension decided. I do want to use a miata front upright to keep the 4x100 going.

One thing about the renault is it has a single circuit brake system with the same rotors and calipers front and rear. So I will be selecting a new dual circuit master cylinder, and will be trying to select the parts to equalize the clamping force front and rear.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/27/18 6:50 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

I’m not an expert, but I can’t think of any axles that would have had a 4x100 pattern and bolted to those flanges stock. It should be cheap & easy enough to have a set redrilled to that pattern though. Unless you need to shorten them, in that case it may be just as easy to select the hubs you want & have the machining done to make everything fit. 

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
9/27/18 7:50 p.m.

What year transmission is that? I'm not sure about newer transmissions but Scirocco axles have 4x100 hubs and bolt up to a mk3 transmission. You can also mix and match some hubs as they use the same splines. 

acheron64
acheron64 New Reader
9/27/18 11:20 p.m.

keep going !! enjoying this ! familar with these as 100mph rockets through corners, something to do with being the size of a roller skate lol. reckon the driveline upgrades are going to be awesome.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/28/18 5:23 a.m.

In reply to BirgerBuilder :

If Scirocco axles work, shouldn’t all A1 chassis axles fit(Rabbit/GTI/Golf)?

Addicted
Addicted New Reader
9/28/18 6:44 a.m.

Being a type 1 trans it should have 94mm inner CV's which are the same as A1 chassis cars (Rabbit/Scirocco), the exception being the Scirocco 16v that has 100 inner CV's which are the same as type 2 and type 4 trans.

Reference:

http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/cv_joints_101.htm

https://www.vwheritage.com/171498103c-inner-cv-joint-kit-16-18-vw-spare

https://www.vwheritage.com/191498104-inner-cv-joint-kit-100mm-right-vw-spare

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/28/18 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I am trying to find an OEM solution even if I need to use multiple axles to get it to happen. I'd like this car to be easily repairable incase it breaks on a road trip.

In reply to BirgerBuilder :

The "AT" code translates to "AT, 1600 cc engine, 3.875:1 final ratio,Type 1303 and Verts from 1973"

The 1303 is the Super Beetle, if I'm reading that right, the axle flange and axles should be the same as the normal beetle.

From Rockauto, I'm finding two different, well maybe three different size axles for the Mk1 Rabbit. 100mm IB (In Board) Housing Diameter, 90mm IB Housing Diameter, and 94mm bolt hole pattern. The beetle axles state the 94mm bolt hole pattern.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bbLyvU8eYYhgKoTsAPNBgXRM4ZoWlGzFXEYFq3Zj7T1snfqatzsrRvKVOZvXBnCb