8 9 10 11
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/24/19 8:25 p.m.

That’s not universal, I’ve seen a denied warranty engine replacement reversed by the rep. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/24/19 8:35 p.m.

Either way, I didn't think this was worth it for me. Had I put dye in the system and had it come out under the dash or from the guts of the compressor, it would be a different issue. This looked like an O-ring. Then it looked like a $60 pipe that took 8 minutes to replace. These pieces looked like they had been apart before and since it's not the original engine we know it's been out. In this case I didn't think it was Mazda's responsibility. Crossing my fingers that I've got it sorted and I still feel this way in a week. As much as Mrs. Deuce likes driving with the top open, she does like AC. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/26/19 11:02 a.m.

By the way - TSB 07-004/18 identifies this exact problem. There's a new part number (NA6W-61-466A) for a pipe with a thicker wall. "Engine vibration" is tagged as the reason for the failure.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/19 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I checked my receipt. 

And now we have a data point for "where did all my refrigerant go?"

bluej
bluej UberDork
3/26/19 12:32 p.m.

Jose must be a wizard partsman.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/26/19 1:11 p.m.

I'll bet you can't even buy the old one anymore. If you plug in the old number, the system bumps you to the new one. "A" suffix numbers mean a revised part.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
3/26/19 2:00 p.m.
bluej said:

I'm wondering what Seth did to Jose to get the almost $30 discount.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/26/19 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/19 2:26 p.m.
Stampie said:
bluej said:

I told him I wanted to buy it from him because I thought buying local was better than buying online but it was $55 online. He talked to his parts manager and made it happen. Pretty rad. 

bluej
bluej UberDork
3/26/19 2:48 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Stampie said:
bluej said:

I told him I wanted to buy it from him because I thought buying local was better than buying online but it was $55 online. He talked to his parts manager and made it happen. Pretty rad. 

Definitely a better approach than killing his father and taking it.. wink

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
3/26/19 3:19 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

*golf clap* well played. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/19 3:40 p.m.

I'd rather not be responsible for anyone's decision to study the blade. The guy is good at parts, go see Jose at Gullo Mazda. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/26/19 5:24 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Stampie said:
bluej said:

Looks like you essentially got a "jobber" discount.  The price a parts house gives to shops and other B2B customers.  The percentage varies, but typically about 30%.  That was my life for a few years back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/26/19 7:19 p.m.

Wonder what the price would have been if you'd have autocrossed it twice to qualify for Mazdaspeed membership.  Ahem.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/19 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I do autocross (and rallycross) my other Miata. I'm not totally lame. I should sign up for Mazdaspeed stuff again. I'm still on their email list from when I had a membership with the 2.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/26/19 7:33 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

You can only buy parts for the vehicle that you have registered, no?

This is why when I signed up, I pointed out that at any given time I could have one of five different species of rotary in my car, and that it has a front suspension from something else.  (not that they ever seem to check anything, like ignoring my RX results until I physically call and talk to someone.... But good news!  RX is no longer supported, so I can take all those decals off)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/26/19 9:50 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Wonder what the price would have been if you'd have autocrossed it twice to qualify for Mazdaspeed membership.  Ahem.

$44.47.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/27/19 5:49 a.m.

So I need to tell my wife that I can't afford to NOT autocross it? Seems reasonable. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/27/19 6:13 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Umm... sure.  Let's us know how that conversation goes. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/11/19 7:37 a.m.

After 4k miles of driving that same AC pipe has failed. I need to go talk to the parts people. Good that I don't have to track it down, but not really acceptable to have it fail a couple times a year. Maybe I got a bad one?

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
9/11/19 8:26 a.m.

Bummer dude......is Parkway Family your dealer of choice?

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/8/19 7:41 p.m.

YO yO yO master Cbone blaster update?

mazdeuce - Seth
11/8/19 8:02 p.m.

I feel like I should have updated this? 

The first pipe I replace failed, the dealer replaced it under parts warranty and I put it on. Easy peasy. Hoping this one lasts longer. 

The Yokohama tires got LOUD and were replaced with some Michelin PS4S and we're all very happy with that choice. Car is quieter and nicer to daily.

I took it in to pass emissions yesterday, which it did easily. The more I drive it the more I like it. Mrs. Deuce is still on the fence after a year. She likes it, but hasn't bonded with it in the same way she has with other cars. She can't think of anything that would be nicer to replace it with, and it's paid for, so we're going to keep in in the fleet and it will still be her commuter about 4 days a week. When it's rainy she still drives the FJ mostly so that people can see her better. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/8/19 8:19 p.m.

Amen on seen and be seen ........is the 911 still in the infirmary?

mazdeuce - Seth
11/8/19 8:23 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Semi permanent garage decoration. It's on the winter list along with a whole bunch of other things. The collarbone has put pretty much everything on hold. Life is like that sometimes. 

8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fiYccgflkqwFHo27DYBOBPfgMW1cQKV9Tcp5PQXhshZAftKERwXSSZIvLO7qhnFy