4 5 6 7 8
sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/1/18 3:10 p.m.

deucekid#4 might not have seen ice like deucekid#2 did... but he might end up seeing more of mazdeuce's pupils in daylight than any of the deucekids

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
12/1/18 3:41 p.m.

Surprised you went that way. Hope all ends up ok. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/1/18 7:36 p.m.

That looks like Utah red rocks, which means it’s probably 128 or 191. That is the easy option today!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
12/1/18 9:26 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Miata stuff. 

It was 26 degrees and things were good here. We went up. It got down to 12 degrees with about 8 inches of snow. I did not stop to take pictures. Life is interesting when the car starts wiggling at 13mph so you slow down to 11. 

Quoted, just to bump this awesome pic to the next page. Safe travels.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/1/18 9:35 p.m.

Let me start by pointing out that I'm not a great navigator. I'm also not a great driver or mechanic which limits my usefulness, but for today it's the navigator part that's relevant. I woke up this morning at 3:45 and my brain wouldn't let me go back to sleep because I hadn't put  a route in the GPS. I knew I didn't want to take 191 because everyone told me it was lame. For some reason that escapes me now but made sense at 3:45, I chose 141 instead of 128. The locals can probably point out exaclty what magnitude that mistake was.

We did survive and it was one hell of a road all things considered. After making it out if the bad stuff there was still quite a lot of snow.  We got down to lower elevations but it wasn't until well after noon that we were on roads that were merely wet. Dry roads weren't to be seen until after 2:00.

We had fun. Stopped and looked at stuff. Played on the rocks which are always a novelty if you grow up within spitting distance of the gulf coast. 

We've got miles to make tomorrow, that's for sure. Car is great and I'm looking forward to about another 13 hours behind the wheel. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/1/18 10:10 p.m.

141! You’re nuts. That’s got some altitude. Adventure for sure. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/1/18 11:56 p.m.

I was just wondering how things went.  Snow scares me, and I’m very happy to hear everyone is well.  Be safe!  13 hrs of driving, cut it short if needed.  

I’ll tell you one thing I’ve finally learned.  I’d easily trade being considered a great navigator, driver, or mechanic to be considered a good (not even great) dad.  

mazdeuce - Seth
12/2/18 7:23 a.m.

This was us walking to the car at 4:30. I'll be honest, it's a little hairy out there. It looks like about 20 more miles until the roads go from icy death to just wet. We're holed up until it gets ligh. ND lights aren't warm enough to keep themselves free of ice. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/2/18 7:27 a.m.

Where did you end up spending the night? I mean, other than the Days Inn :)

mazdeuce - Seth
12/2/18 7:32 a.m.

Albuquerque.  Should have pressed on to Santa Rosa. Always easy to figure those things in retrospect. 

Edit: and to the forum member who offered food and shelter in ABQ, I'm hoping I don't have to call you. laugh

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
12/2/18 7:49 a.m.

I figured you didn't take 191 or 128 when you mentioned the snow. Glad you made it safe. I was beginning to wonder last night. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/2/18 9:05 a.m.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/2/18 10:50 a.m.

Man Seth, you're being a little sporty!  Take your time and be safe!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/2/18 11:12 a.m.

When I saw the first pic I thought "That looks like the Hanging Flume overlook on 141 - he wouldn't go that way during a Winter Weather Advisory."  Oops.  So did you then go over Lizard Head on 145, which would have been interesting in the weather to say the least, or head west near Uravan through beautiful downtown Bedrock to Utah?  Anyhow, glad you made it to 'Querque, by now you're lower and can hopefully make some time.

mazdeuce - Seth
12/2/18 11:13 a.m.

More Miata stuff. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/2/18 11:15 a.m.

It has the Rabies!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/2/18 11:18 a.m.

Like seeing car pics 

more please 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/2/18 11:59 a.m.
NOHOME said:

It has the Rabies!

you'll Rue the day you Taunt Rabid Turbo Rufus

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/2/18 12:42 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

More Miata stuff. 

Glad to see the cooling system is working well. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
12/2/18 5:39 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

More Miata stuff. 

I christen thee Rufus, the snowslayer

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
12/2/18 8:25 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

More Miata stuff. 

Remind me to tell you never to pick the route or tires for any vehicle we get into together....

wait...... oh crap....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/2/18 8:25 p.m.

Everyone at FM is impressed with Seth’s apparent driving ability, to have made it though 141 in those conditions without any ditch time. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/2/18 8:48 p.m.

If I remember the stories correctly, aside from growing up in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan, Seth attended college in the UP of Michigan.  I am sure that the snow had his attention but was not the worst he has seen.  

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
12/2/18 9:43 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Your memory has not failed you today. That is correct on UP. 

mazdeuce - Seth
12/2/18 10:13 p.m.

Tucked in. This is a great car. Mrs. Deuce wants to drive it to work in the morning. I told her it was ok to leave it home so I could drive it more, even after 15 and a half hours behind the wheel today. It's that good. 

4 5 6 7 8
Our Preferred Partners
mJmCRQ79Lc85U8zdWGhQ6zfIPVSCY58wqZUdtAAzUyXcjiPgn8OEmudXNUVh7y43