oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
12/7/18 8:33 a.m.

I'm sure you checked, but one of my pet peeves is inside mirrors and a surprising number of them have the socket on the glass end of the arm adjusted nearly all the way down and all anyone ever adjusts is the mirror end socket when they drive.  I regularly take the whole arm, swing it up towards the roof on the windshield end socket, and move the head of the mirror 3-4" up in work vehicles. Does a lot for the blind spot. 

Most times they stay that way, but somewhere I have a work nemesis I have yet to identify that likes to swing the mirror in my usual driver down so I have to readjust. I like to think it's the same IT guy who messes up my classroom computers when nobody is looking, so I only have one nemesis. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/7/18 8:34 a.m.

About the mirror - it has a double articulated arm, so you can move it up and down to some extent. Modern mirrors are packed with tech, however, and there are limits to how small they can be. There’s at least one camera behind it which may also affect the amount of adjustment. Mostly, it’s just a small car so there’s only so much windshield to go around. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/7/18 9:06 a.m.

Finally the Porsche sighting ... man that thing is great 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/20/19 1:34 p.m.

If a cars ultimate desire is to be driven, Rufus is a happy car. Mrs. Deuce puts 2-3k miles a month on her primary driver. Fairly long commute, sharing the kid hauling, and just general running around. I'm getting ample opportunity to wash the car and if any of you were hoping for a low mile cream puff in 4-5 years, I have bad news for you. This car is great and it's getting miles. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/20/19 8:15 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I’m just hoping she’ll let you borrow it to drive to the Challenge this year. ;-)

mazdeuce - Seth
1/21/19 7:26 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I'd love to, but what's probably going to happen is I'll end up with a huge load of stuff to bring for the Gastropods and will end up driving my lame ass truck for the third year in a row. I could drive Rufus, or I could bring an ez-up, a dozen chairs, and a cooler. 

bluej
bluej UberDork
1/21/19 7:36 a.m.

Rufus + borrowed tire trailer?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/21/19 7:36 a.m.

Rufus and one small overnight bag.  My ex- has an ND and she marvels at how little cargo room there is.  Makes a Spitfire feel positively cavernous with cargo space.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
1/21/19 10:04 a.m.
Ian F said:

Rufus and one small overnight bag.  My ex- has an ND and she marvels at how little cargo room there is.  Makes a Spitfire feel positively cavernous with cargo space.

It's crazy how little cargo room they have. I switched from a  C5 Vette which I have hauled lumber in (6 foot sticks ran from dash to back of hatch), to an ND which doesn't even have a glovebox.

Gram Strategy BRO

boileralum
boileralum New Reader
1/24/19 9:34 a.m.
bluej said:

Rufus + borrowed tire trailer?

This!  Paco Motorsports has a nice hitch for teh ND.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/4/19 9:20 a.m.

Rufus just crossed over 18k miles. Normally I'd do an oil change right when I get a new car home, but this is FM and I totally trust them so I didn't do one until this past Saturday. It's a neat car underneath. First time I've really poked around the bottom of an ND. The front suspension/knuckle is a thing of beauty and I no longer have any desire to use NA/NB pieces for anything. 

Then yesterday I took it to a PCA autocross. I'm an instructor with them and I always get handed the absolute new people because it's a job I love. The 911 is still on jack stands, the Accord is a work in progress, and the Rallycross car is like wearing a dirty coverall to a wedding. So I took Rufus. And didn't drive. Nope. Since we bought it I've been insisting to my wife that this isn't a car for that. She even told me to take a couple of runs, but I need some clear boundaries or I'm going to end up trying to make it faster and choosing the next set of tires based on lap times. The next person who buys this can take solace in the fact that I'm finally developing restraint. 

What I did get to take a couple of runs in was my friend's BMW coupe clownshoe thing. It's not the M, it's the 330 version, I can't remember the proper name for them. It's a neat car and very ND like as far as cabin volume goes. With the seats up the seating position is about the same as the ND, a bit more leg room though it seems about as narrow. Where it wins is the ability to lower the seats with a handy little button and gain helmet room. 

Dynamically, though, what a different car. It's like BMW built the car, drove it, and requested the engineers numb every control. Then they took the revised version out and said it was still too BMW like. Third try is a charm and everything about the car is vague and squishy. It still grips well and there don't seem to be any weird handling traits, it's just vague. This led us to a conversation that revealed that of all the cars my friend owns, this is his wife's favorite and he's not allowed to mess with it to make it better. It was a fun day. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/4/19 1:46 p.m.

I know I am in the minority by liking the looks of the Clown Shoe, but the name should stick.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/4/19 6:50 p.m.

The shoe. I love'm Will own one someday.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/6/19 6:33 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I know I am in the minority by liking the looks of the Clown Shoe, but the name should stick.

I believe Clownshoe is the industry standard term for this car. 

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
2/6/19 7:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
TurnerX19 said:

I believe Clownshoe is the industry standard term for this car. 

I’ve also seen “elf hearse” used recently. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/7/19 1:33 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This led us to a conversation that revealed that of all the cars my friend owns, this is his wife's favorite and he's not allowed to mess with it to make it better. It was a fun day.

Funny Backstory on the comment from his wife, don't know if he told you this part. 

He ruined their NB by modding it, and she grew to hate it because it became less and less comfortable. 

Told me the story when I took him out in my ND shortly after I bought it in 2016.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/13/19 1:50 p.m.

Just got a call from Mrs. Deuce that the AC is blowing warm. sad

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/13/19 1:59 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Just got a call from Mrs. Deuce that the AC is blowing warm. sad

be thankful it's still a R134 car and not a R1234YF car... 

well... here comes the fun part of deciding do you fix it yourself or take it to Mazda and attempt to warranty it? i believe you're still inside the 36 mo and 36k miles of factory warranty? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/13/19 2:05 p.m.

AC in February: Texas problems :)

The AC in the car should be fully stock, so there should be no warranty problems. We have had them discharge on a couple of NDs for some reason but we took care of it in-house.

It is possible that an AC line rubbing on a turbo component could damage the line - we’ve seen that on a customer install or two - but I’d like to think our guys wouldn’t do that. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/13/19 2:32 p.m.

I'll throw the gauges on it and see if we have pressure and go from there. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/14/19 1:01 p.m.

Mrs. Deuce left the car home for me to look at today. So I looked at it. With gauges. 

Pressure was loooooooow. Not atmospheric, which is good because that means that moisture hasn't gotten in (probably) but it also means that the R134 is going somewhere. I put more in. It makes cold now. We'll see how long that lasts. I'll probably need to add some dye the next time it runs out so I can trace the leak. I could bring it to the dealer, but they'd do the same thing and then I wouldn't be able to drive it around. 

Anyone who doesn't own a set of AC gauges is missing out. So far I've used these on:

R63
Insight 
Forester
Crappy Mustang
NA Miata
ND Miata

and I'm almost certainly forgetting a few cars in there. AC guages are the best. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
2/14/19 1:26 p.m.

Learning to do AC work was one of the best/worst things ever, now my trash 300k beater cars even have AC.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/14/19 1:44 p.m.

I do wonder if Mazda has some funky seals in these cars, because something like this has happened a couple of times. Significant discharge, then when we recharge it's all good. I think Rufus might have done it a year+ ago, and I know Andy's done it at least once.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/14/19 1:50 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Learning to do AC work was one of the best/worst things ever...

Accurate.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/24/19 1:30 p.m.

Mrs. Deuce finally left the car home long enough for me to work on, because it's the weekend. I put in dye. It was leaking where one of the hard lines attaches to the compressor. I pulled it apart, put a new O-ring on and put it back together. It's not leaking there any more. At least for now. Probably. Going to send Mrs. Deuce off into the world with it and see what happens. At least now there's dye in the system so I just have to look around with the UV light if it stops working again. 

Our Preferred Partners
zyRUmci4cz8PK1dOac3bU0lYghdcgItww5D83sWx9tmuIq4rhIdVJhwzZXj3hGh6