1 2 3 4 5
Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
1/9/18 9:42 p.m.

Where would I find plastic for a project like this?  I like what you've got going on here.

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
1/9/18 11:27 p.m.
Nitroracer said:

Where would I find plastic for a project like this?  I like what you've got going on here.

Most bulk plastic stores. Redwood Plastics is where I got it locally in PG

fused the halves together with self taping screws

test fit the driver side scoop and found I needed to make some modifications post-mold with a heat gun and my level. also cut the angle at which it will mount to the bumper

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
1/12/18 11:27 p.m.

UPDATE:

Intake ducts are complete. Passenger side is larger due to on the driverside the brake duct will be sharing the foglight hole with the ram air-intake

air intake

Tillerman
Tillerman New Reader
1/13/18 9:14 a.m.

Ingenious!

Love your Fox project. yes

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
1/13/18 12:12 p.m.
Tillerman said:

Ingenious!

Love your Fox project. yes

thanks man its really starting to come along

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
1/15/18 11:42 p.m.

UPDATE:

installed finally

realize Ive hardly posted any pics of the car post-paint

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/16/18 3:57 p.m.

Totally dig it! Keep up the awesome work.

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
1/28/18 9:30 p.m.

UPDATE:

Finally fabricated up the spindle side of the brake ducts, took a bit of work as Ive now learned that a jigsaw wont work for 3/16 plate steel haha. So had to do it all with a grinder.

Front Suspension is all bolted together Im just waiting on the duct tubing itself which should be here tuesday and a few bits to convert the newer master cylinder over to my older car which will be here end of the week hopefully. Then its just finish bolting in the last nut on the brake booster, bolt on the master and plumb the lines. go over the battery cable headed to the rear to make sure its all good nothing going to rub on anything. put all the driverside wiring back together. bleed the brakes bolt wheels on check fit. and then pull it out of the tent to make room for another project Im picking up for the girlfriend wednesday hopefully if the snow gives us a bit of a break here

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/1/18 8:39 p.m.

UPDATE:

Front brake coolers are complete

Made some light covers

As well as after searching for about 2 years we finally found my girlfriend her "Dream car"... A 1975 Pontiac Astre, 4cyl-Auto. Was 9 hours to go pick the car up and take it home was a long long day of driving. 

Car is in fairly decent and complete shape. surface rust in many spots. hood is probably in need of replacement as well as the battery tray area but other than that for a 43 year old unrestored daily driver up until a few years ago car... its in pretty solid shape. We've been donated a 350 small block chevy and a 700r4 out of a van to take the place of the 4 cylinder engine.

I'll post updates as she goes on her build here as well. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/3/18 2:21 p.m.

This right here will make me never complain about my too busy (3car  garage with room for only one) cement floored grosh ever again... This is one bad 'Stang' great work!!!!   Stay warm!!!!!

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/3/18 6:59 p.m.
759NRNG said:

This right here will make me never complain about my too busy (3car  garage with room for only one) cement floored grosh ever again... This is one bad 'Stang' great work!!!!   Stay warm!!!!!

Haha man! Im just excited Ive got a tent this year. Last year i was building it in the snow by the time your finished doing something under the car my body heat wouldve thawed the snow under me and id be swimming in a puddle of cold ass water. It sucked! So having the tent is great, christmas lights lighting my way.

Im actually quite surprised that the girlfriend has got most of her Astre engine torn down on her own in a snow storm today hahaha. Someday I'll evolve into a garage with a cement floor by then though I'll have all my projects done! Thanks for the comments man.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/3/18 8:43 p.m.

Keep an eye on yur GF.....next thing you know she'll be throwin' a beat down on Sally F  wink Man love the duct work part of this .......I'm helping my chiropractor with his CMC Camaro and you've given me some great ideas, what is the pos/neg material you used for the ducts?....... thanks RushC

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/4/18 9:10 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Haha I already heard she' going to be faster than me!

The material for the vents is a pcv foam core plastic called sintra. 3mm thick. It' normally used on vacuum tables which I don' have access to so I made a inner mold out of wood. And made and outer mold to press the plastic down over the inner mold. Heat the plastic up in the oven for 10 mins at 280 degrees. Pull it out onto the inner mold. Press it with the outer. Hold for 10 seconds. And pull the molds apart. Done... repeat. I made several of these duct halves in one shot. Time consuming part it trimming and assembly

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/4/18 9:29 p.m.

Do you know how this stuff compares to Kydex? 

You mold it in a very similar fashion. Very popular for knife sheaths and gun holsters. 

I was thinking of doing something similar for making the HVAC ducts in my wagon. 

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/5/18 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Im not familiar with Kydex. In a little search it appears to be a bit more capable of molding intricate pieces than the Sintra I used. I'd be a bit concerned with the molding of larger items with it tho. Both products are normally used with a vacuum table tho. Most people molding Kydex appear to use some sort of foam table, probabaly could use my wood molds as well. I'd like to try it.

-RC

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/5/18 8:59 p.m.

Rush C what am i missing on the passenger side high beam lamp not being there in the 'nose'.....you showed us the intake ducts (quack.. ikill myself)????

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/9/18 2:48 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I've got the light removed as well for an air intake. The passenger side foglight is shared for the brakes and air intake

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/9/18 6:15 p.m.

RushCk, do you have any pics of your  air intake ....how you made it all werk.......yes i'm a PITA, but there are very few ford products that garner my attention...but this is one of them, all due to your dedication/execution and commitment to Sally ....well done!

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/9/18 8:36 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Not a pain at all :)

So what Ive done for the air intake is stolen the air intake found on a 87-96ish ford Truck. you can see it in this pic its the part that mounts just over the rad and then runs to the air box

So I took that intake and flipped it upside down, did a cool slash cut and mounted it into the foglight hole upside down.

and molded the brake duct to work around the intake. this side fender is a bit busy now as the top pipe is for the air box intake, and the bottom is the brakes. and I just used some sore of plumbing pipe I got from canadian tire. You can also see my cheap widebody turnbuckle which is used to push the fender out to fit 275/40R17 in these tiny 4 eye fenders

the plumbing runs into the air box next to the cone filter. made a neat plate to seal off the rest of the sizable hole in the side of the fender skirt. The headlight also feeds air into the box. All I did for the headlight is shape the bucket a bit smoother, and attached a screen over it.

Lastly is the box itself, just a sheet of thin steel thats been cut, bent and painted.

Thanks for your interest 759NRNG, hopefully Ive answered your question haha :)

UPDATE:

So the last few days have been a bit hectic, we just received about 3ish feet of snow over the past 2 days. The snow storm warning was finally lifted today but it sounds like there will be more on the way lol! This is a path to my tool shed

Girlfriends Astre is under the tarp

parking at work

And my 95 bronco with a 6" lift and 35" tires....... yeah its up to the mirror

Anywhoo on to the update. For the first time since the 5 bolt swap Sally is on its tires with the new master cylinder installed

The fit of the tires is almost perfect, will be running a 1/4" wheel spacer up front on each side and turn the fenders out a bit but it looks absolutely insane. The goal was to have the car out of the tent this week but... snow has stopped that. still a fair bit more to accomplish such as the rear brake cables, re-install a bunch of wiring under the hood, strut tower brace finish the underhood clean up

-RC

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/9/18 9:36 p.m.

Brrrr Brah I can't even imagine going into the tent to do any thing but SHIVER my ARSE OFF....thanks for the intake reveal . Got firewood????

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
2/9/18 9:47 p.m.

A Pontiac Astre is your girlfriend's dream car? That is hardcore.

Good thing you live out West. I don't even know where I would start looking, you probably got the nicest one in the country.

Amazingly nice now-four-eyed Fox. I love it, though I also loved the very clean aeronose it started out as. Some great work here.

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/10/18 12:41 p.m.

Brrrr Brah I can't even imagine going into the tent to do any thing but SHIVER my ARSE OFF....thanks for the intake reveal . Got firewood????

Nope no firewood, little electric heater

In reply to ssswitch :

Yeah shes always wanted a Vega but Vega's Astre's, Monza's are all terribly hard to find here particularly if your after a car thats not already complete done  and built or a complete and utter rust bucket. Shes got a solid shell, a bit of rust up front where the battery is mounted. She'll have her work cut out for her but it will be awesome when complete

Thank you man. The aeronose hid its flaws well. had some bad cancer in the fenders developing, my ball pean rolled fender lips also showed. and a dent in the hood basically lead me to either swap to the four eye nose I wanted or replace it all

_RC

JimMurphy
JimMurphy New Reader
2/12/18 8:58 p.m.

As I initially scanned through your blog of all your hard work over these many years, you say that you love autoxing but I failed to see all that could be done to help the suspension like the biggest matched pair of swaybars available at both ends along with 4 piston calipers on the rear brakes to help the car not nose dive but rather squat down under heavy braking and allow you to turn better in the middle of braking.  And I do a strut bar in the rear to balance the strut bar in the front.  It is NO fun to have all this HP without a frame/suspension, optimum steering (includes a smaller steering wheel), alignment and brakes to control it.

HTH,

Jim

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
2/12/18 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Rushcanuck :

Love the car and the almost-outdoors build site.  Well done!

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/13/18 4:36 p.m.
JimMurphy said:

As I initially scanned through your blog of all your hard work over these many years, you say that you love autoxing but I failed to see all that could be done to help the suspension like the biggest matched pair of swaybars available at both ends along with 4 piston calipers on the rear brakes to help the car not nose dive but rather squat down under heavy braking and allow you to turn better in the middle of braking.  And I do a strut bar in the rear to balance the strut bar in the front.  It is NO fun to have all this HP without a frame/suspension, optimum steering (includes a smaller steering wheel), alignment and brakes to control it.

HTH,

Jim

I did briefly go over suspension mods earlier I think halfway down page one. basically just with a few photos. Ive done what I can do for the current budget. I am running a larger sn95 Cobra rear sway bar, which its a significant increase in size over the stock Fox bar. Front bars in these cars were already quite massive so aside from polyurethane bushings and links I havent touched it.

I do wish I spent a little more money back in the day and got H&R supersport lowering springs instead of the Eibach Pro-springs i did. Just for the massive increase in spring rate to help control the nose dive a bit better and these cars have an inherent design to have camber loss as the suspension is compressed. stiffer springs wouldve help enormously.

No strut bar in the back was a choice because the rear ends of these cars use shocks instead of struts, bracing the towers Ive heard doesn't do a terrible lot to stiffen the rear just due to the fact the towers are barely structure to the car. However the panhard bar mount links both sides of the subframe which from what Ive heard even without the panhard itself to the axle really helps the car in turns. I do plan on get a panhard once I can afford too

It does have caster camber plates, and over 3 degrees of camber and the caster adjustment is maxed out at about 4 degrees. toed out slightly. and it does have subframe connectors

car goes good, I do agree that lots of power without the means to control it doesnt do a hell of a lot. It is fun still to muscle a larger more powerful redrive car around a course designed for much smaller nimble cars

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YiKpGeuILxsBqI5e210AR68I9XG1HoxmoQFhbzyawT4ByjHEkotpr6mjbRv7yEGv