2 3 4 5 6
danvan
danvan Reader
2/15/18 12:03 a.m.

I don't believe it another P G racer on this forum . I do not remember seeing you at our events,we would love to see you and your car , if you not all ready set up  with us check us out on face book our page is under Corvettes North / Northern B.C. auto cross we will have our 2018 schedual up in the next few days, looking forward to meeting you if you would like more info PM me.

Dan

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/15/18 7:34 p.m.

UPDATE:

So I pulled the car out of the tent for the first time since September to give myself a bit more room to do a quick toe alignment and dump camber/ slam it all the way back for caster haha.

Its not perfect and will probably need to be done again on flatter ground but at least its close for pulling in and out of the tent for now

SNOW RACING ANYONE?!?! joking

Girlfriend is happy that we can now focus on her car and getting it ready for spring. Hoping to have her up and running by July

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/15/18 10:04 p.m.

Y'all are troopers....when's spring there in Prince George ?

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
2/16/18 11:20 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Long way away from what Im told lol. My first winter here.

We've had some weird weather.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
3/10/18 12:43 p.m.

Have you thought about adding some brick or concrete pavers to the floor of your "garage"?

Might be more pleasant and shed moisture better than the dirt..

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
3/13/18 12:47 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

I have, only issue is Im renting here so if I have to move whatever I build/put down Ive got to move with me when I leave. I have thought of building a wood floor that can be separated in 4x10 panels and stacked into my truck and moved, placed down wherever the tent goes in the future. but I never did think about large concrete pavers see if that could be cost effective for me.

Havent done much on the mustang in a month, the Astre has taken my attention away for now in hopes of seeing it complete by july. Will start posting on that build maybe tonight

-David

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
3/19/18 9:03 p.m.

UPDATE:

Car is done for the most part and it finally appears that spring is here. Racing is set for May with the Corvette club. heres a little video, love this sound! cant wait to get it back on the road.

Brake cables are in, gotta modify the factory handle slightly as well as just wrap up the wiring under the hood. otherwise I could probably drive it tomorrow if I wanted to. Time to get the Girlfriends Astre started so there will probably not be many updates here til later in April

-Thanks for following

-David

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/5/18 10:56 p.m.

UPDATE:

So finished the rear brake cables, and installed the hub centric's on the rims finally as well as the front wheel spacers. pulled the isolators out of the front and finally pulled the car out onto the street for its first scoot since september. I gotta say its a real shock compared to my diesel truck, and holy smokes the brakes are touchy. still need to correct the alignment on a flat pad before I can start daily driving it and work out the bugs before the first race on may 13th.

Heres some video of the first scoot! 

New braking setup looks amazing! hopefully I can get it all dialed in by the time racing starts

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/9/18 9:49 p.m.

UPDATE:

Cars insured, def a few bugs to work out. set the toe however its not perfect. Might get it properly aligned at a shop which I really hate even thinking about it but I dont want to tear up my tires and would rather "set and forget". Im hoping that I'll get some clear not sand covered roads to setup the rear brake bias before racing

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/12/18 12:15 p.m.

UPDATE HELP:

So Im planning to get the alignment done next week. Curious if anyone knows somewhere to start in terms of getting the alignment set too?

USE: Primarily Autocross, longest drive is 1 hour to an event once a month. I'd prefer to just set and forget the alignment

CAR:

1989 Mustang LX

Engine: 

-1989 5.0 shortblock

-Cast iron GT40 heads and intake

-Cam

-Longtube headers

Front Suspension:

-Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates

-Poly urethane bushings in stock FOX control arms

-Eibach pro-springs

-KYB AGX adjustable front struts

-SN95 (1995) front spindles

-poly sway bar bushings

-1/4" wheel spacer

Rear Suspension:

-Maximum Motorsports lower control arms

-New rubber upper control arm bushings

-Eibach prosprings

-SN95 sway bar

-SN95 axle shafts in stock foxbody axle (.78" wider per side)

Chassis:

-Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors

-Maximum Motorsports strut brace

-Maximum Motorsports Kmember brace

-275/45R17 BFG Comp2 tires front and rear

-2001 GT brakes front and rear. adjustable proportioning valve

probably forgetting some mods done but this should be enough to get a base.

I'm thinking

-2.5* camber

+2.5-4* Caster

dont know where to set the toe too

thanks in advance

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 New Reader
4/12/18 1:12 p.m.

start with 0 toe, maybe the alignment shop will help you take notes on how many turns it takes per side to get each 1/8" toe out? 
camber looks like a good starting point.  
probabaly would shoot for as much caster as you can get without compromising camber.

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/13/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to stylngle2003 :

I'll see if they will take that note. problem is just because the car is "Lowered" they are charging me by the hour. rather get it on and off the rack as fast as possible.

I found on a mustang forum these specs:

-2.8* Camber

MAX CASTER

zero or 1/16 toe in

very close to yours so I think ill do yours thanks man

Ive also installed a set of camber bolts now. car is sitting parked til I can get her in at the alignment shop next week at like -5.5* of camber. Looks like a track car lol

Project86fox
Project86fox New Reader
4/13/18 9:55 p.m.

Might of missed it, but if you don't have subframe connectors and torque box reinforcements those would be my next mods.

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/14/18 12:53 a.m.

In reply to Project86fox :

I do have subframes. Lower torque boxes are seam welded for strength uppers are stock but soon planning on torque arm/panhard bar. Never had an issue but don't launch the car hard with slicks

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/18/18 1:19 p.m.

UPDATE:

Alignment complete. thanks to Fort George Alignment

Only had an opportunity to take it for a short spin in a parking lot as Im quite sick again. but the car wants to be turned now, begs to be turned. had a very similar alignment done on the car prior to the spindle and 5 bolt swap and I can say the spindles make a huge difference on turn in. the car bites in hard and will take a bit of fiddling to make neutral again or relearn what I have learned

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/19/18 11:59 p.m.

UPDATE:

Doing some testing, had a bit of a noise coming from what I thought was the front end. tore it all apart, jacked it up and couldn't find the culprit so took it to a quiet parking lot and ran a few tests with the gopro taping to see if maybe the tire was rubbing the fender. couldn't manage to get the tire to strike the fender front or rear but did find that the axle is for sure moving far more then I would like. potentially thinking about doing the panhard bar swap I've been wanting to do for a long time.

I did just before arriving at home the girlfriend mentioned that it sounds like it was coming from the rear of the car. turns out the passenger rear brake was hanging up

and yes the car does go faster, this was in town in a public parking lot I didnt want to attract too much attention to myself by disturbing the peace or being a danger to myself or others.

And I had a better opportunity to take some pics of the amazing tire fit Im very proud of :)

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
4/20/18 7:36 a.m.

For alignment on my 92 I run -3 camber all the caster that my plates will allow and toe straight.  This works for commuting and track days.  We run the same our Lemons 89 notch.

1996 spindles, 04 cobra brakes, steeda X2 ball joints, 1/4" shaved off that back of the rack, CC plates, poly bushings.

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/20/18 1:25 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Sounds like a very similar build to my own. and I went and did -2.8 degrees of camber, max caster, and zero toe very simular. least I know its a good starting point. 

what do you mean by shaving a 1/4 off the back of the rack? 

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
4/20/18 1:58 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
4/20/18 2:03 p.m.

I used the stepped round to locate the rack mounts, then removed 1/4" of material to move the rack closer to the K-member.  

This is on a manual rack for the Lemon's car, I also did this to my 92.  It add a small amount of much needed ackerman to the geometry.  I think the 96 spindles also help some.

If you want the jig just Paypal me for shipping and it's yours, I'm done with it and can make another if needed.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
4/20/18 2:05 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
4/20/18 2:06 p.m.

This is what is looks like when it is not covered in track filth and brake dust.

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/20/18 5:03 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Akylekoz what does the jig look like? I dont know if I'd be prepared to pull the rack out this year again but maybe for next winter. Your car looks great, what are you running for springs/shocks?

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
4/20/18 8:21 p.m.

It has a set of Tokico blues with matching Tokico springs.  The X2 ball joints lowered the front a bit so I cut the rears to match.  This year it’s getting Koni DA’s with MM coil-overs 375lb front 250 rear.

The jig is the round thing next to the rack.  You just drill a hole in the mounting ear to fasten it to the rack then mill down to the surface.

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck New Reader
4/30/18 11:17 p.m.

UPDATE:

first cruise of the year, its been too long. but i survived a winter in real canada so Ive got that to say aboot myself.

Car got keyed on Friday night from the rear edge of the drivers door, to the taillight, jagid up and down deliberate motion as well. Believe me I was beyond livid after being only able to drive the car since painting it a little over a week. Car was parked in my driveway when it happened, guess ive got an enemy in the neighbour hood. will be the last time I park it outside the tent.

Anyways the car is again all stripped down due to this and the few dry spots where I missed clear coating the car when I was in a rush last year during the wildfires that ravaged central BC. was in a rush due to the change of wind direction the next day which blew a ton of smoke into PG. it was dark by 4:30pm in the afternoon in August very scary. My friend, owner of Concept One an autobody shop downtown offered to help me out repair the scratches and the dry spots. really hoping it turns out amazing...am nervous after seeing the damage done

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
32WPGel8Rdtz76tD0jTa4u6sQhykK6Rz4iVIm2qvJ7B6EjsSNRaejPiS4TgZ7dYc