Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/24/16 11:59 a.m.

Well, it's very reflective. To the point I needed sunglasses for the last two coats and the camera in my phone doesn't like it at all.

The roof temperatures have dropped 20+ degrees under, what the primer was yesterday afternoon. I'm impressed. It's 82 right now and the roof temps are 87. The hood is 103.

Edit: The sun just came out from behind a cloud. Hood temps are 112, the roof is still 89. Still impressed.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
4/24/16 1:23 p.m.

Gotta wonder if chrome or something would drop roof Temps even more by reflecting the sun.

I know you won't do it, but just something to ponder.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/24/16 2:26 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I used to think the same thing. 10 years ago, I bought one of the stainless steel Coleman coolers to take out in boat. Sitting in the sun, that thing got so hot you couldn't touch it. I was a little disappointed in it, the white ones could be used as a seat, the SS one would burn the crap out of you.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/24/16 2:29 p.m.

Things are drying pretty quickly, so I went ahead and plugged some more of the holes in the roof.

Got to have some teardrop lights.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/25/16 9:32 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Gotta wonder if chrome or something would drop roof Temps even more by reflecting the sun.

Oddly enough, it doesn't work like that. While you would think mirror chrome would reflect everything in the color spectrum, it doesn't. I forget the exact data, but a mirror absorbs a surprising amount.

I wonder how hard it would be to put a white "wrap" on the roof of my minivan. After being parked in the sun yesterday while I was riding, I forgot how hot it can get inside. But I don't want anything as permanent as paint.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/25/16 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Does plastidip come in white?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
4/25/16 10:31 a.m.

If not plastidip, maybe some white vinyl wrap would work.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/25/16 11:24 a.m.

I believe it is the 'emissivity' of the material that matters.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/25/16 11:50 a.m.
RossD wrote: I believe it is the 'emissivity' of the material that matters.

Interesting. This list agrees with you. Polished metals have a much lower emissivity coefficient than un-polished. Meaning they retain heat rather than release it.

Emissivity Coefficient

So the paint I used is not only reflective, it's emissive.

I learned something, must be a good day.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
4/25/16 12:50 p.m.

Those are some pretty impressive numbers. If I ever have to repaint the roof of my pickup....

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/25/16 9:53 p.m.

For the taillights, did you try the layout of brake/tail a little further in and the turn signals to the outside of those? That might look a little less out of place with the lights you got.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/26/16 6:23 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: If not plastidip, maybe some white vinyl wrap would work.

Speaking of wraps...I was admiring this picture of the Bus and ponderingwide the final outer decor and what might look good.

A wrap down the center section, with some appropriate graphics, or in the section where the windows are blanked out, would open up a host of options.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/26/16 7:13 a.m.

I agree with the center section idea, makes it look longer, lower.

Scripto just came out with a felt tip pen that is resistant to UV. But there's always leopard skin mylar.

Dan

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/27/16 3:07 p.m.

The high today was 86 and the sun has been out all day, so I thought I would check the temps again.

The hood:

The roof:

That's almost a 35 degree difference. That's pretty significant. I'm very happy with that result. I'll have to check it again in the heat of summer.

Edit: Looks like the images are still down. Pretend there are two pictures up there. One of a inferred thermometer that reads 133.2, the other with the same thermometer reading 98.8.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/27/16 4:27 p.m.

That's really impressive

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/27/16 4:41 p.m.

Nice! Makes me want to look into that wrap even more.

(pics work for as of this posting at 5:40PM EDT)

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/27/16 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

They started working right after I posted the edit.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/27/16 7:55 p.m.

Polished looking vinyl would be an easy way to see if you want to put trim on the side. For wheels I like paint more than the simulators. Older ones seemed to fit well but the newer ones I've had all fit poorly.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/27/16 9:29 p.m.

Another option is to do a chrome wrap on the corrugated pieces that join the panels.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
4/28/16 8:48 a.m.

will it fit?

http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/5560359221.html

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/28/16 1:49 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: will it fit? http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/5560359221.html

At that price, even if it doesn't, keep the current frame, take the engine / trans / axles and go for it. Although it's only a DT360, so not tons of power. And the trans is probably the non-lockup, non-OD 4 speed AT545, which isn't anything spectacular.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/28/16 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

I'm pretty sure the DT360 is the same size as the DT466, so it won't fit in the engine bay. Tempting though. I might have to do some more measuring.

That would be a windy trip back to Charleston.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
4/28/16 5:06 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Mad_Ratel: I'm pretty sure the DT360 is the same size as the DT466, so it won't fit in the engine bay. Tempting though. I might have to do some more measuring. That would be a windy trip back to Charleston.

So about the same as your trip to bring the bus down :P

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
5/2/16 8:42 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Mad_Ratel: I'm pretty sure the DT360 is the same size as the DT466, so it won't fit in the engine bay. Tempting though. I might have to do some more measuring. That would be a windy trip back to Charleston.

IIRC, a DT360 is somewhere around 4 inches shorter in length than the bigger DTs of the mechanically injected era (408, 466, 530).

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
5/2/16 9:00 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: The high today was 86 and the sun has been out all day, so I thought I would check the temps again. The hood: The roof: That's almost a 35 degree difference. That's pretty significant. I'm very happy with that result. I'll have to check it again in the heat of summer. Edit: Looks like the images are still down. Pretend there are two pictures up there. One of a inferred thermometer that reads 133.2, the other with the same thermometer reading 98.8.

Ya gots to be careful using an infrared temp system when checking temps on things like this.

For the same reason it wouldn't get as hot in the sun is the same reason the system may read artificially low....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
61xow607ozvlsMkmIe8p2Cd58Q8KdDGvkbMfXrFzZCxfUh5qdVqZ8fdzhuJAqF5z