1 2
Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/1/16 8:15 a.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce): It really is a personal choice. If I was about to start a build and didn't have my zetec, I'd grab a Duratec from a junkyard. It probably be either a 2.3 from a ranger or the more common 2.0 from a focus. If I was doing a build and buying a new engine, I'd seriously look at the Ecoboost and controls package for $5500 and a Miata transmission. I'd also look for any parts swapping ability for the M5OD family of transmission to get the Rangers front half, thunderbirds shifter location and some strength from any of them including the F150.

Keith said that the Miata transmission would grenade behind the Ecoboost with the motorsport controller. Too much torque.

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
4/1/16 10:02 a.m.

for the original question - inline 6 with good RWD trans, I would take a BMW 2.8l aluminum six from a 96-99 e36 to start. Easy enough to use the original ECU from a 92-95 e36, or a little harder to backdate to carb. should be good for 200 hp stock, 300-400 easy turbo mods.

For a locost though, I would definitely start with a FWD engine trans and put it in the rear like midlana. The Saab 2.0/2.3 from most turbo saabs 94-2009ish is worth about 200 hp stock and can easily crank up the wick.

I think really though, if I were building a locost, i'd be looking to do a mid engine 60's sports racer type deal, and I would lean heavily toward a VW/Audi longitudinal FWD setup so I'd have a mid engine longitudinal RWD. People make adapter plates for those Audi trans' for just about every engine ever (if you don't want to use one of the many great audi engine choices), and then add ITBs for all the glories. Here is a common one, a BMW v12 motor to audi longitudinal FWD transaxle (GT40 kit cars do this a lot).

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
4/1/16 12:24 p.m.

^this. It would not only make for an amzing looking/sounding car but it would handle very well.

Plus mid engine is just sexy

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
4/1/16 2:08 p.m.

Next time I build a front engine/rwd car I'm going to take a hard look at a gm 3800SC (L67) mated to a Camaro/Firebird 60 degree bell housing 5 speed trans. I'd ditch the M90 supercharger and replace with a big turbo like an HX40. That's the combo, albeit in automatic transaxle form, that I'm using now in my mid engine Rabbit. You can make 400hp to the wheels for chump change. One of the most expensive parts of a project like that would be the injectors, at about $300/set. I don't know of a good JY alternative that will flow enough fuel, although I might look into adapting Ford CFI injectors once I start making more boost than what my stock injectors will flow. I'll bet you could build a 400hp drivetrain for less than $1200 from radiator to trans with a new clutch.

The previously mentioned Ford 2.3t Lima is hard to overlook, though. You can make 300hp with one of those with JY parts (+ a Holset HX35, which you can probably get for $200). The aforementioned CFI injectors are a direct fit. A stock long block can take 20psi and the stock ECU can take care of things. Those are getting kind of old, though.

Gokarter91
Gokarter91 New Reader
4/8/16 12:37 p.m.

What is with all the fuel injection? Definitely won't be fuel injected. I don't want to have to mess with all that wiring or electronics. No smog, no O2 sensors, no AC, and no automatics. If something breaks then generic hand tools will fix it.

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
4/8/16 2:01 p.m.

Go big or go home. Cadillac 500.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/8/16 2:13 p.m.

I can't fathom not going with EFI. I have a car with a carb and if it weren't for the goofy siamesed intake ports I would've already converted it to EFI.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
4/8/16 2:14 p.m.

to the OP:
Okay here's a real suggestion that I think hits your requirements: 1983-1984 Chevy S-10 2.8 Liter V-6 with the T-5 manual transmission. It's a 60 degree V-6, so pretty narrow and makes packaging easier. It's Carborated with simply distributor ignition (simplest wiring your gonna get). The supply is good: You can pick up these things all day long cheap around here. Gets you on the road quickly and can be a single donor setup (use the rear axle too). Plus you have expansion room. Don't like the truck tranny gearing? No problem the transmission from v-6 camaros and firebirds bolts right up? Need more power? They make four barrel manifolds that bolt on for bigger carbs. Headers are easy to come by too. Plus if you want to tackle the electronics in the future, the 3.4 liter fuel injected engine from the camaro/firebird will be a bolt in later too. (also they are very cheap and plentiful too).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vLGMTK9gUyeedpPXnbPelb55NlhQTT01dIUOlTpEhwHwTVxt8KmadIRkSqtT25jw