1 2
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/27/18 8:19 a.m.
Somebeach said:

Got out tonight and put the new rotor and cap in. And it runs. I think firing on all 8. 

https://youtu.be/pragNgBSPSQ

defiantly have a exhaust leak 

And is the fan fan supposed to run this slow?

https://youtu.be/iTwxmmAmzzQ

next is to get some more jack stands and jack it up so I can take of the bottom splash guard. It is full of leaves and other stuff. Don’t want anything to catch on fire. 

Congrats on getting it running!

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
10/27/18 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Thanks.  Maybe I will try to get the tires pumped up. And play some Tetris to get it out of the building and see if it will drive at all. 

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
11/11/18 5:04 p.m.

Got tires pumped up. Used air compressor to hose out the spark plug wells. 

Now or I am pretty certain I still have a misfire somewhere. I started it up and pulled one plug wire  at a time on the drivers side, two I could hear a noticeable difference in sound and two just sounded about the same even when unplugged. But they were sparking? 

I may just do new plugs and wires? And see if that helps anything.  

Also still no codes popping up. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/11/18 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach :

That's a good move.  You're going to want new plugs and wires in there when you transplant it into the Corolla any way.

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
11/20/18 11:41 a.m.

Update. I think I have a guess of where some of the issue lies with not running great. 

There is a idle up control valve, I think used to bump rpm up when turning at slow speeds on the power steering pump. 

It seems mine is leaking, not only on the floor of my garage but also up the vacuum lines into the throttle body and the front of the engine. 

The tape is just there so I remover where that line goes. 

My plan is to just plug those vacuum ports for now, clean out the throttle body and do new plugs and wires. 

some Point I will have to figure out that leaking valve, and if I can just delete it or what. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/20/18 1:49 p.m.

If it's the little valve on the power steering pump, I deleted it in my '92 LS400 with no ill effects. I capped the lines on both the pump and the intake and never had a second's problem. I thought it had to do with the speed sensitive power steering but I could be wrong. It's possible that I removed the valve from the power steering pump and put a threaded plug in the hole, as if I remember right the valve was leaking.

You do need to cap or plug the pump end of things as otherwise power steering fluid leaks out. Also, only run Dextron ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and not "Power Steering Fluid." Mine whined up a storm when the wrong stuff was put in. Swap back to Dexron (iii, I think?) and it quieted down.

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
11/20/18 8:35 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Thanks for the input. I am trying to understand that air control valve. Is it in its own “port” on the pump housing? 

Bc when I look at it (from under the car, in my poorly lit garage) it looks like it is in line with the fluid line that goes from the pump down to the rack. 

If it is in in its own hole on the housing, how do you find what size of plug or where do you find the plug for it?  Is the plug just a bolt? Or something special in itself?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/20/18 11:07 p.m.

I can’t speak to the SC400 pump specifically but on the LS400 it was a valve threaded into its own hole on the P/S pump. I don’t remember the size of the bolt I used but I used a bolt or plug to fill the hole in the ps pump and then vacuum line caps to cap off the vac lines on the intake manifold. 

Some online guide here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/261358-the-first-gen-power-steering-bible.html mentions 14x1.5 plug and slim gasket to fill the hole but then says that didn’t work for someone else. I probably dug something out of my parts bins to plug it. 

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
11/21/18 10:40 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Thanks!

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
11/27/18 11:01 a.m.

Got some work done. 

New plug and wires are in. 

Ended up ordering a new cap and rotor for the passengers side. (If the drivers side looked as bad as it did I figured not much cost to do both. )

i also didn’t have an opened ended wrench to fit the idle up valve. But it is just as Dclub has said should be able to back it out and plug that hole. For now I just deleted the vacuum lines and then looped between the ports on the valve. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GFZcUCaTM6ZBtPbH3MO0olJEDEf4mziiPs5BNuZF7MhRaayEIE0ImwUOzadZ2qpT