759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
8/13/20 9:45 a.m.

A thing of beauty and a joy to behold.....

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/13/20 12:24 p.m.

LOVE the coffee table!!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/13/20 6:45 p.m.

Is it me or is that a really porous block casting?

8/13/20 6:48 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:

calling FrenchyD please report too the front desk!!!!!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/13/20 6:52 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:
Jerry From LA said:

calling FrenchyD please report too the front desk!!!!!

laugh

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/13/20 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA :

Yes, it does look rather porous in places. I should have gotten it soda blasted instead of sand blasted. The local media blaster wanted way too much money to use crushed walnuts on it so I did a test spot with my little sandblaster. it looked good so I got them to use regular old sand and it was a little too aggressive.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/13/20 7:46 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:

JaguarV12 blocks are not sand cast. They are die cast. Can't be porous. 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/14/20 5:48 p.m.

Ah, so it's me.  It looked about the same as the aluminum head I took off a Triumph Dolemite engine that used to come in pre-'73 SAAB 99s,  Those were wicked porous.  I haven't read a Jag V-12 post on this site since the heady days of mguar so I'm not up on my V-12 casting techniques.  Meanwhile, that's a hell of a table so it was worth it.  Funny how this one started as a race engine and ended up as furniture.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/24/20 8:39 a.m.

There are 3 events and some repairs packed into this video and I tried some new camera angles CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

8/24/20 12:07 p.m.

Awesome vids/views......keep the phone outta the wind.....wink. Good on you for finding these potential show stoppers now.....shame there wont be Lincoln this year.  frown

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/27/20 3:32 p.m.

Wow, big news in your new video.

If I may make a suggestion....

Since you want to have a competitive car to do all of your things, once you figure out what classes to look at, then examine the Nationals results to get a list of suggested cars that will be competitive in autocross (which should then cover track events), then you can narrow that by looking into their drag racing compatibility- and then that list you can go through and figure out which is the coolest of the cool for you two.

Unless you already have a car in mind, and just need to understand the rules to figure out which class it would be the most competitive in....

nocones
nocones UltraDork
8/27/20 3:50 p.m.

Good video.  I understand why your doing what you are and think it's a good plan. 

I think the CAM route is one you would enjoy and meet your goals.  It's a true open builders class and I think where the winning is for that class is in building something just a bit more extreme and a bit more optimized then your competition.  That seems like it would be the sort of thing you could get behind.  And the cars can easily be good at Drag racing, Time attack and Cruising with some suspension changes.    The only disadvantage is that you basically have to build a hammer, big HP, Big Tires, which means Big $$ to track, though any unlimited type build is big money to track.

I'd try to start with something a bit more unique then a 60's Camaro though..Maybe a nice AMX?

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/27/20 4:00 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I know some of you OG's miss the Jaguar V12, well, here it is as a coffee table

Since it's a table why not spray paint it clear to keep the beautiful looks?  Oh  and you're absolutely brilliant how you used the pistons on the rods to provide a flat surface for the glass top . Very Well done!!! 

It should also have a placard made with its story how it was a gift from your father and the rest of its history. Me? I'd be tempted to semi assemble it using the timing cover but definitely leaving the heads off. 
I hope you don't mind if I use that idea  to make a bar ?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/27/20 4:07 p.m.

This video is going to upset some of you and I'm sorry about that but hopefully you can understand where I'm coming from. When Covid-19 hit and my business was forced to close for 2 months, I really thought my days of racing were over. I also thought the doors to my business could be locked on me at any moment so I moved all my projects and the parts for them to my garage at home. This really hit me how many toys/projects I have and made me realize that all of them have to be insured, maintained, stored,etc and were all a drain on my finances. So, after thinking about this for a good long time, I decided that I want just one car that will do all of the things I like to do. I like cruising around town on a Sunday night, competing at Nationals in Lincoln, doing Time Attack with the local sports car club and even doing some 1/8th mile drag racing. I have nothing that can do all these things and that's going to change. I have narrowed down my list to a 1969 Camaro that I would do in a pro touring style or a Datsun 510 that I would do in the style of a BRE race car. New Project Plans

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/27/20 4:40 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Good for you!  Change is hard and accepting it prior to its absolute required implication shows maturity  and wisdom. 

Thinking in advance if auto cross is your real goal  realize that weight is your enemy. Width  forces you to travel further. In a race with cones a car a foot wider forces you to travel 2 foot further every cone.

Length  increases tail swing putting cones at risk in over steering situations. , And aero is your enemy.  You already know how to generate downforce.  The same principles apply no matter what the car.  
Can you race a muscle car ?  It's heavy and wide and the early ones really suffered in the handling , brakes, and steering departments.  That class demands horsepower. Horsepower is expensive. But if it's what you want then take your best shot and go for it.  

You got a lot of interest and support when you raced the BGT with the Jaguar V12.  I think you could gather similar support with another British car.  No not a different version of the pink panther. 

But how cheap and light is the supercharged Jaguar V8?  Stock it's up to 560 horsepower and pulley changes away from much more. ( all aluminum. 4 valves per cylinder)   The later chassis are all aluminum Buy a wrecked one and cut the body off  replace it with a fiberglass replica of a XKE? Or even the D type?  
If you want something more streetable than pull out the dents and damage of the wrecked car 

Watch  the insurance auto auctions. Both IAAI and Co-part have regular sales of insurance claims.  They sure are tempting price wise. 
Realize how much strength a rollcage adds to a car, easily  more than enough to offset the accident damage. 

8/27/20 4:55 p.m.

Tough call.  And I'm glad I'm not the one forced to make it!  Totally understand the want to change.

The one major difference I see in the potential two cars is the "restomod" ability in terms of autocross classes.  That I'm aware of, there's not an equivalent CAM class for imports or small cars.  I guess there's a SM class for the 510 where you can put a modern Nissan powertrain in it.

But I very much hope you can post your internal debate on which car you choose.  That's an interesting process, and would even make a good GRM article.  

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/27/20 5:41 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I hope to find a forever car so it has to be something that I really, really like. I dig 60's musclecars and the SCCA now has CAM-T class for them so I would only be competing against other big, ungainly cars. I also like the idea of a Datsun 510 for SCCA's new XS class. The rules are pretty open, it just needs to be street legal, have full interior, working lights,wipers, HVAC,etc and run 200 TW tires. There's a minimum weight and the 510 easily makes XS-B weight. If I get a 510 at a good enough price, I wouldn't even have to sell the MGB. I'm currently in negotiations on a 510 that already has a lot of work done to it and is ready to race. A 69 Camaro would be great but I have to realize how much more expensive it would be to buy, modify and keep up. A 510 has cheap everything and a bonus is my wife prefers the 510 over a Camaro.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/27/20 5:53 p.m.

Good luck on the new direction.  I totally understand the interest in a reboot, and sometimes in life that's what's needed.

I'm sure whatever you end up with will be super cool and I look forward to reading about it!

8/27/20 8:08 p.m.

sent you  a PM ...

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/27/20 8:53 p.m.

Amen about the really really like part. Plus one other part.  It's got to be cheap enough that you can't  sell it for enough cash that it makes a difference should hard times happen. And sooner or later they do  

That's the hard part keeping its value down while improving the car.  A suggestion?  Paint and pretty is the last thing to do. Also make it outside the normal. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/27/20 9:05 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I'm pretty open to all sorts of cars. I'm not particular to one brand or anything. Like I said, I just want one vehicle that does everything I want to do. It doesn't need to be the best at everything, just capable. The car that I have personally driven that checks every box is a Porsche GT3RS but that's way out of my price range, although I did find a first gen GT3 that is maybe just within range. Maybe I can pull a Wheeler Dealer and find a rough GT3 and fix it up? I dunno, I'll keep all of you in the loop because I like your feedback.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/28/20 8:16 a.m.

Listen, Jack!  There's only room for, like, 60 more cool Camaros around here.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/28/20 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

LOL, don't worry, I'm probably going to a Datsun. I negotiated on this Datsun 510 and was set to go pick it up but after Googling images of Datsun 510's with this widebody kit, I decided that I like stock bodied 510's better so I'm going to let this one go.

8/28/20 8:55 a.m.

Is the new XS class described anywhere?  Sounds like a cool new class.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/28/20 9:08 a.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

Is the new XS class described anywhere?  Sounds like a cool new class.

Unveiled in a town hall of autocross event planners and participants at the SCCA Convention in January, the Xtreme Street (XS) category is the newest classing of cars eligible for SCCA Solo competition. The category will be divided into two classes – Xtreme Street A (XS-A) and Xtreme Street B (XS-B).

The category is essentially comprised for competitors who would like to compete with a modified car, on street tires, but under the current rules would fall within a more technical and more challenging rule set class. At its heart, XS is targeting street legal cars with modifications that move it beyond the Street categories of the traditional autocross class.

As an example, all cars must be licensed and insured to drive on public roads. Typical features such as lights, wipers and heaters must remain, and the car should have a “finished” look on its interior. While modifications from OEM parts are allowed and even encouraged, they should be replaced and not simply removed, with some exceptions spelled out in the full rule set.

Nearly any wheel is allowed, but allowable tires are those with a UTQG Treadwear Grade of 200 or higher. Minimum weights are outlined in the full rule set.

The XS category has been deemed a Supplemental Class for 2020 and is mainly aimed at Regional/Divisional competition initially. While it will appear as a class at Tire Rack SCCA National Tour and ProSolo regular season events this season, the supplemental class designation means that it will not be eligible for contingency awards, Super or Ladies Challenges, or ProSolo points.

Linky Link

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zRy2m981SWAmnapFdrQTf3AhVjinNrvtL0BycQEPPy2mHUJL3plOQ9x4gDZlIAzP