759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/24/18 10:18 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/what-race-seriescar-had-the-engine-set-back-into-where-the-passenger-would-normally-be/137310/page1/  You are mentioned in this, I know I'm a PITA, but the 'camaro' front end shock treatment was what I was expecting to see on the 'P'......I'm off to the 'docs' to put brakes on the CMC Camaro ...late (back to the top wink)

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
2/24/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I considered that style but decided that the payoff wasn't worth the effort, expense and weight-it does look very cool, though

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/4/18 9:12 p.m.

I can honestly say that the aerodynamics on my car were done by a Formula 1 engineer

Kyle Drives goes to Formula 1

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/5/18 7:01 p.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/5/18 8:22 p.m.

molto bene!!!  When's Lincoln NE?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/5/18 8:53 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

May 26-28 and I can't wait. All that is left to do on the car is add the front sway bar (should be shipped tomorrow) and do a checkover of every nut, bolt and fluid level. I am nervous because I changed so many things and they are all untested. Hopefully the weather warms up locally and I can do some shakedown runs before going to Lincoln.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
3/6/18 6:11 a.m.

I'm excited to see the results as well!  I imagine you'll be rewarded with a size-able amount of new found performance.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/6/18 10:22 p.m.

Ok, I messed up. You can see in one of the pics that I use wheel spacers on each side to get the track width I'm after. Since I had the lower control arms off for powdercoating, I decided to just turn the heim joints out 1/4" so I could eliminate the spacers. I had it all back together and everything re-aligned when I realized that maybe, just maybe that 1/4" could throw out all the careful measurements that Ron Sutton had given me. I punched the new numbers into the suspension program, moving UCA, LCA and balljoints out 1/4" and it significantly changed roll center, roll stiffness, camber gain and a few other things. Today I had to take it all back off to remove that 1/4".

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/16/18 11:37 p.m.

It's been a while but here is a video. This is not like other videos of mine

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
3/18/18 8:06 a.m.

It's simple. Your car, your decisions. Thanks for continuing to share updates.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/18/18 9:56 a.m.

"Woulda/coulda/shoulda - I didn't build it for you"

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/18/18 10:49 a.m.

What material did you use for your arms?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/18/18 4:21 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

1"x.95" wall DOM tubing. It is not chromoly.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/21/18 7:20 p.m.

Dude the LAST thing you need is mindless CHATTER about this build.....shut them out...focus on Lincoln in May . Bring P......sort......conquer!!! Having just now seen the ytube, I'm thinkin' jeffk's comment was a pysche against you........he knows you're way too close. I'm rootin' for you!!!!!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/21/18 7:58 p.m.

Just watched the video - forget the haters. I also enjoy your build and appreciate what you share. Specifically how you share your ups AND downs - this car has come a really long way and the transparency of what you share is admirable. Sure, it opens you up to criticism from the armchair QBs. The rest of us here appreciate you holding up this corner of the internet with your honesty.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/21/18 9:21 p.m.

Thanks guys, new video is processing now. I unbox some cool new parts!

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/21/18 11:52 p.m.

I went on a short road trip to pick up some parts and chat about why I am going to the USA to get parts and I pull out the parts to show you

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/22/18 6:55 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Your parts chasing over the border describes exactly my experience. In my case, I have a friend who also buys a lot of car parts, so the trips are worth the time and cost.

Pete

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/22/18 7:54 p.m.

I told a local speed shop owner that if he doesn't have the parts people want in stock, he should see if they can be shipped to the border then have a once a week service where he or one of his staff goes to pick everything up. That way, he can tell everybody that the maximum wait is a week. I would much rather do that and support local business but if I have to wait weeks for everything I order, my car is not going to be finished any time soon and will cost a lot more.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/22/18 9:25 p.m.

Did a bunch of work on the car today and even got to drive it-video coming. I started repairing the cracked front fenders (Mrs Loosecannon hit a frozen cone at a high velocity) and also installed the front sway bar. Wish the pics were better.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/22/18 10:15 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I told a local speed shop owner that if he doesn't have the parts people want in stock, he should see if they can be shipped to the border then have a once a week service where he or one of his staff goes to pick everything up. That way, he can tell everybody that the maximum wait is a week. I would much rather do that and support local business but if I have to wait weeks for everything I order, my car is not going to be finished any time soon and will cost a lot more.

That is what the local MOSS supplier does. It did save some money but I suspect it was just his pocket getting lined rather than UPS whom I hate with a passion for Canadian deliveries.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/23/18 9:13 a.m.

This comes hot on the heels of my last video but I actually get to drive the car! I'm really excited about it, you don't even know

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/23/18 9:37 a.m.

Lookin' good, don't worry about the trolls, never even heard of people being upset over not getting credit for suggestions before.

(I still think you should put strakes on your diffuser though cheeky)

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/23/18 10:02 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I keep looking at the diffuser and thinking the same thing. I haven't because Jeff Kiesel runs without them and he is the master of EMod, but most race cars have strakes. 

adam525i
adam525i Reader
3/23/18 11:45 a.m.

On the Canadian shipping thing I have been finding that the larger companies are catching on and offering good options to get things across the border. If Amazon.com will ship the part into Canada they charge you the tax up front and the shipping is reasonable. Rockauto is another that has figured this out and also charges the tax up front with competitive shipping rates, just watch what wharehouse the parts are coming from to cut down on cost, for standard car parts they are my go to now and there is always a 5% off coupon available. Lastly if you are not aware McMaster-Carr now ships into Canada as long as it is going to a business, I have mine go to my work, you obviously have Speedworld. Their shipping isn't bad at all and is really fast, like place an order Friday, see it Monday sort of thing. Obviously building an awesome racecar like this requires a lot of custom and unique parts so your dealing with a lot of small venders resulting in the cross border trips, I do this too through Niagara Falls when required. Hopefully someone like Summit catches on and gets this cross border shipping down as well.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to videos once you get it on course.

Adam

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SVaSlTULnYDp7X8JSymMFxQCSbEZ0E7RZBYJfQHParIYUzKn2RBU9yi4xcXTn8ce