5 6 7 8 9
vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
1/25/20 9:11 p.m.

That intercooler position doesn't appear to allow much airflow behind that fascia. Is there an opening underneath that allows air to come up?

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
1/27/20 2:47 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

There is a large opening and a factory 'air dam' (re: black plastic trim piece) that runs the gap of the bumper. Hard to see in this stock photo:

And the bumper has a bit of a downward angle to its shape as well. The plan is that the majority of the intercooler will be in the opening. I'll need to get better picture because there is a distinct lack of low angle views of the front bumper of these cars...

Future plans I would 'like' to design a splitter/airdam combination that helps direct some air through the intercooler then the rad AND under the car... but that's a far ways off yet, need to get a proper amount of seat time. I do plan on 'ducting' to direct air into the rad from the intercooler, tho that will be after I get all the charge piping sorted out. So much to do to increase reliability and survivability...

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/1/20 10:43 p.m.

There's a better picture of the underside of the bumper. It's not fully installed as of yet so I can easily remove it as I get other little jobs finished, and still need to mount the inter-cooler yet as well, but there is a lot of engine bay reassembly to do as well yet too

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/28/20 10:52 p.m.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/6/20 12:41 p.m.

So the other weekend I was able to pull the engine and transmission from my parts car. This weekend I hope to split the engine from transmission, and then the plan is to clean thoroughly, replace seals, transfer over the a couple sensors, and replace the filter and install it into the car.

Also need to tackle a few more things in the engine bay, hose clamps, belt, hoses, rad fan assembly, and I think a single horn needs to get mounted yet as well. 

Slowly plodding along and getting excited to drie it again soon.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/12/20 5:32 p.m.

So I was able to split the pulled engine and transmission from each other, only really had to fight with one bolt. Next step its a heavy duty cleaning. It's absolutely COVERED in grease and gravel road grime, BUT no sign of a visible leak, and fluid that fills the transmission is bright red and smells fresh, even tho the car has sat in my yard for 2 years (and about 4 years in a different yard prior to it getting to me), so plan is to clean it and throw new seals and filter inside then fill with fresh fluid. 

**Hopefully** get it fully functional in advance of the end of May so I can troule shoot any issues from it sitting so long and recieving numerous/various changes and upgrades to the vehicle overall.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/15/20 2:46 p.m.

Yes, I split the engine from transmission on a pre cut pallet, and the decision to split FROM the torque converter was because I had never heard the engine run, was told it 'made noise' and had pulled the heads off it 2 years ago so I wasn't certain that the engine would turn over. Upside, it does spin over easily so it should be a decent starting point for a rebuild.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
4/20/20 10:39 a.m.

Another update! Life got in the way with the world going crazy, so updates took a bit longer to happen, but they are here now!

Transaxle got loaded and taken to the carwash to get a few years worth of road grime removed, and next step is to throw some new seals and transfer over some sensors then it should be ready to go back into the car.

Also got my final door panel installed after having to source one from a junkyard. Did not swap over the chrome handle or window switch just yet, there is still a future plan for changing the door panel cover with suitable fabric down the line to make all the panels match and sharpen up the look.

A glance through the dusty window

Really can't wait to get these mounted!!

I will need to record a close up with the GoPro and make a video for the channel of the depth of this colour!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
5/18/20 10:15 p.m.

***FINALLY*** got my mirror mounts back. 

Not real carbon fibre, just wrap on the aluminum mounts I made. I think they turned out great! High quality vinyl.

Not as high gloss as the mirror, but it looks good. Looks much better on the car.

Note the Superbee and Sattelite in the background.

This next picture is positioning the phone facing forward on the door panel and not aimed at the mirror glass.

Can see a large portion of the CRX behind the car as well. This is almost where the mirror will be. I will probably spend a lot of time trying to figure out the exact position I am happy with for my driving position, then mark it and tighten down the main arm then use the nyloc nuts I have to mount the mirrors so its set. Downside/upside they will be exactly were I want them to be and aren't easily adjustable so other drivers can't adjust them at all, but they are convex and very wide angle so that may not be an issue unless they are really short.

The passenger side mirror is awaiting proper new glass since it got cracked and the first glass to arrive was too large for the housing.

Hopefully this week I will tackle the oil cooler hoses and get a proper measurement so I can make the new washer fluid line from the trunk and swap over the rear wheels and do a good amount of the assembly I need to do so I can get it back on the road soon and enjoying it.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
6/18/20 10:18 p.m.

Threw my 18's back on, and I am super happy how this looks. I also took care of the oil cooler lines and got the upper rad support bolted in, next step is to tackle mild things on the transmission and get it ready to be installed

I'm really glad I chose this colour and would not 'just settle for something on the shelf' And the red accents look striking

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
7/16/20 10:36 a.m.

This car is still going, I just rarely open the dropbox app to transfer photos from my phone over to my PC. 

I have done the front main seal on the transmission and swapped over known 'good' input/output speed sensors from my old transmission. Also installed the transmission harness. Still need to change the ouput seals and 'gears' and do a basic fluid change on the transmission once it's installed. Then its the hoses and intake and exhaust and I still need to modify the washer fluid reservoir and and and... I swear the list of 'to-do' is getting shorter....

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
7/30/20 8:43 p.m.

Small side project for the car. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
8/25/20 11:00 a.m.

Hammered out a bunch of work on the transmission this past Saturday: 

Drained the Diff, pulled the cover and differential gear, 

pulled the transfer shaft, 

pulled the seals. 

Then it was reassembly time, thankfully having pulled apart my other transmission and cleaned a few parts previously saved some time! 

Installed a new bearing (SKF - 6907-VAW) on the transfer shaft I pulled from my first transmission, 

Installed the new seals into a clean diff cover, installed the output / transfer shaft seal, 

Installed the transfer shaft,

Reinstalled the diff, and the diff cover. 

Then spun the transmission around and swapped over the rear gear-set for the set of 3.89 gears from my old transmission. Other than being a bit hard on the back, it all went swimmingly well with the transmission on a milk crate.  

And finally I put the torque converter in.

Just needs fluids in the differential and she is ready to be installed. I'll add pictures to this post or another post after. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
10/2/20 1:05 p.m.

So, my car is finally home. Still doesn't have the transmission in, but its home, inside my own shop space. So the next step is to install the transmission right? 

Not exactly, I need to first crawl underneath and see why there was only 3 of the 6 subframe bolts to hold the transmission in place. Always great fun when someone else touches your car but doesn't keep hardware organized other than 'tossed in the trunk'

After I sort that issue out (already sourced 6 new grade 8 bolts with washers), the next step is going to be inter-cooler mounting and pipe routing, which may make no sense at all, but lacking a hoist at home, the easy button for transmission install is going to be pulling the engine, attach the transmission into the engine (and the starter, transmission cooler hard lines etc..) the reinstall everything as a single unit which means the engine bay will be open and clear again so I can fix my engine bay paint job that I'm not happy with (was rushed to get it done so prep work was sub optimal) and since intake piping may require some cutting and welding in the engine bay, I may as well get that planned out ahead of time then clean everything up while I have the engine out right?

After reading through an article on Mishimoto about inter-coolers (Linky) I am thinking I will go with 2.25" to feed to the inter-cooler then run the rest at 2.5" up to my throttle body, supposed to help maintain flow after pressure loss across the inter-cooler. I am fairly certain that with my power numbers currently it won't make a huge difference, but may assist with any lag that adding the inter-cooler to the setup may have incurred. 

Photos coming soon, especially as I start cutting and making things happen! 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
10/31/20 11:50 a.m.

Photo dump extravaganza! And maybe some deeper thoughts about my car.

First, photos from tackling a mild servicing on the transmission.

First, had to ratchet strap the transmission to the hoist to be able to pop the rest of the cv shafts off. Lots of banging was involved. But I was successful. 

Victoly! Now, as for why these ends were on the transmission, when the parts car came to me, the one side was already pulled apart, and when we were pulling the transmission and engine, I had no plans of keeping the old CV shafts, and not having the proper sized socket for the axle nut, I cut the clamp and pryed it apart. 

Transmission service pics!

And buttoned back up. Still need to drop the pan and change the filter and fill with fresh fluid. It already has fresh 80W90 in the differential. The shinier parts are from my other transmission that I had already cleaned. I changed the front pump seal, seals on both sides of the diff and replaced the bearing on the transfer shaft (the shaft that transfers power to the driver side wheel, I don't know the 'actual' name)

When I pull the engine to mount the transmission, I will be mounting the cooler lines and replacing the pan with the one we added the temp sensor to. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
11/18/20 8:20 p.m.

I do find updating via video a bit easier since it focuses my time in making the video since the battery only lasts so long in the cold.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
11/19/20 11:00 a.m.

The absolute, glorious randomness of this project is an inspiration man. I hope you're having as much fun doing this as I am reading about it. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
11/19/20 11:37 a.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath :

I am greatly humbled that my project (when compared to the content on this forum) is inspiring to anyone, and for that, I thank you!!

I have a plan sort of, but its really just 'ready by spring-ish' since the yard tends to get super soft early spring by the shop when everything starts melting, so I kinda jump around randomly based on what bits and pieces I have and to keep myself motivated to get things accomplished. The blessing/curse I'm fighting with right now is hardware, having parts cars (or spare engine to be built), that are partially stripped means I will *always* find the correct bolt, but at the same time I end up second guessing myself wondering 'Why do I have 4 bolts but only 2 holes, what did I miss?' 

I'm having some fun, but mostly anxious to get this car back together so I can enjoy it and then maybe have a car I feel confident in to take to the track and get some seat time and start properly planning future changes.

Hopefully I should be able to pick up the engine hoist from my brother this weekend and I can get my engine out and transmission bolted together, then install a few auxiliary pieces (starter, alternator possibly) and clean up some spliced together wiring, add some loom and clean up the bay a tiny bit more then get it all back together to fire it up for the first time in over a year.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
11/21/20 9:34 a.m.

Here's a better close up/ stationary shot of the front of the engine. With my spare bits and pieces I will slowly transform the engine, or may just wait and make the replacement 'built' engine look 10000x better. 

Then I got bored and unmotivated a bit, so I cardinal sinned and wiped off all the dust from it sitting outside in the rain and such, and assembled it enough to have the headlights in and bumper on and laid out the banners I have to go on, and made some fender stripes with some tape...

Did I make fine scratches with a micro-fibre getting the dust off? Probably. Am I really worried? No. Has it reignited a fire to get this thing done? Yes. I have a new desire to get outside in the cold and put in a few hours at a time to get little jobs done here and there. It does have me excited again to actually drive this thing in anger... after I get used to how it feels again of course.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
11/23/20 9:13 a.m.

Engine is out! Now to figure out how to attach the transmission to the engine essentially on the floor...

I do have a couple ideas tho. Pictures in a future update.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
12/7/20 5:09 p.m.

Engine and transmission have been bolted together. Tonight when I get home I will probably tackle the flex-plate to torque converter bolts then its just the brace cover thingy on the bottom side, then tackling some wiring repairs on the harness before she's ready to pop back into the car. Getting closer! Still a bunch of parts to order to get the intercoller mounted into place yet as well... hopefully be running by spring. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/5/21 9:09 a.m.

When scope creep hits, it hits. But a clean aluminum engine looks better. Probably lost a few ounces of grime and dirt so that's a plus right?

Transmission attached, and transmission serviced. New filter, clean pan. All bolts went in nice and snug, so should be leak free! *knocks on wood* slowly getting it sorted out and ready for spring. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/23/21 8:10 a.m.

Some videop links to share!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/23/21 8:11 a.m.
DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/25/21 2:54 p.m.

And another one! It's been too cold to take video AND photos lately so I've been more focused on the video aspect of documentation. 

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hq0BXAGO9FPsGx5sgO9T4iXEOfSN8nq8jhy53hKQqhF4A7axbCp05JtMIby77IXR