9 10 11 12 13
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/9/20 12:19 p.m.

By starting fluid I mean like ether spray in a can. If the carb isn't getting fuel but everything else is right, you can spray a little down the carb throat, and the car will start and run for a few seconds. 

It's a good way to check that everything else is working if you are suspect of the carb.  

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/9/20 8:24 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

I agree. Soley going off what edelbrock states as suggested. Plus it's a might as well sorta thing since I flubbed up the install. Lol 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/9/20 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

At this point. It's hindsight. We should have tried that but condemned the carb. Either way it was too big a carb and this allows a blank slate so to speak. I will keep that in mind!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/16/20 11:20 a.m.

Well my 07 GTI (Hans) is giving issues which are laid out in the other thread.....but the truck cheered me up! Feeling a little down I started tinkering with it.  And well.......this happened.

Then, I tinkered some more.....

So the squealing noise went away.....no clue.  Have to check fluids now that its been run and circulated.  Further I did check the trans to see if it went in gear and it did!  Started burping water outta the radiator so I cut it off but....well....its running fellas!

EDIT - Obviously I hadnt planned for it to run so the hoses, wires and cables are rather haphazard.....will correct.

Burnout vids hopefully soon!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/16/20 11:35 a.m.

Nice!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/17/20 11:58 a.m.

Base timing at 10. Idle sorted. Dizzy sorted. Let's go!  

Took it on a tiny little run down my development. Shifted a couple times. Need to relocate the trans dipstick. Double check fluid. Etc. getting closer to burnouts!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/18/20 11:00 a.m.

Fixed some more of the wiring. Also wired up the cooling fan!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/20/20 8:13 a.m.

Had an issue which I hope has been resolved.

1. I forgot the vac advance was connected when I set the initial timing.  So I went and redid it. Went to 8 degrees BTDC with vac advance disconnected. Reconnected and all seems good.

2. Need to check the trans fluid levels again.......

3. Found the engine was cutting off at WOT bursts. Haven't driven it really but if you go WOT it dies and comes right back.  Found the tach signal wire wasn't secured and was grounding out on the manifold. Hope that's it. Reason I found out was when I was setting timing above it randomly quit and wouldn't restart.  Fixed that, hope thats what it was. It fired off after I moved it. Hope that was the issue when I went WOT it died like i cut the key and came back.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/22/20 11:28 a.m.

Big day!  Drive the truck to the muffler shop for something low key. Quick vid. Haven't tuned it fully and need to sort some things out but can't really until I get it to the point I can drive it properly. Read. WOT and not an attention magnet. 

At the shop. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/22/20 12:16 p.m.

I've been lurking on your build...Congrats getting it more road worthy! I love the poverty grill and steel wheels with a v8 lurking under the hood. Is the WOT cut out issue resolved? 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/22/20 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Sorta.

1. It was a tach wire that was grounding out.....fixed

2. I haven't really gotten on it. Reason being as exhaust is open headers, I want to be able to hear and tune the truck. Currently I cant hear spark knock or anything really!  So once it gets more civilized........we will see! 

Waiting on the exhaust and then I can lower it, full poverty look as you say.  Lol.

Thanks!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/27/20 3:33 p.m.

For now even though it's likely to stay the exhaust is done!  Drove to work today!  Y pipe with 3 inch outlet to single 3 in dual 2.5 out dumped. 

I can't wait to get it tuned!  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/27/20 3:40 p.m.

refresh my memory:  how big is the cam? it sounds lumpy!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
10/27/20 4:19 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Summit 1103

bonylad
bonylad Reader
11/3/20 8:58 a.m.

I've made some progress. Added initial timing to 12 BTDC. Carb needs tuning. Has a lifter tick or rocker arm tick as well as an oil leak. So yeah!  

Also deleted the ac delete assembly. It was raising cane. So now I'm just running a shorter belt. 

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
11/3/20 9:21 a.m.

Glad you could get this truck put together.  Troubleshooting the little things shouldn't slow you down at this point.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
11/4/20 6:37 a.m.

Apparently a trans line came loose. Lost all gears. Drove it a short distance like this so here's hoping I didn't fry the trans. Smh. Told the son to pose near the carnage. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
11/4/20 7:48 a.m.

Fixed!  7MM socket and trans fluid. Figured I got a free trans flush.......

Once filled I checked it out. No slipping and seems fine.  Thank you Lord!

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/4/20 12:41 p.m.

Looking good!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
11/10/20 12:27 p.m.

Switched out the valve covers. Went to a edelbrock style. Hope the normal thickness gaskets will fix the oil leak. Plus can run the spreaders now.

Also redid the throttle cable.  

Dad has the truck and fit them. He's tinkering with it. Also going for a different style air cleaner. Looks legit!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
11/15/20 4:47 p.m.

So started in phase 2. Which will consist of refining the whole swap. Little tweaks here and there. Mounting some things different. Etc. largest part is lowering the truck. Soooooo. Yeah. This is fun. Reminds me how luv I have suspension work. 

Also a quick video now the exhaust is sorted and no longer leaking.

Had to cut a spring out on the passenger side. And both shocks and both front lower ball joints need replacement. Will update!

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/15/20 5:21 p.m.

For some reason, I recall front shock replacement on my 2003 being a total pita, but I can't exactly recall why ... maybe access to the top mount?  Looking forward to hearing what you experience there.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/15/20 7:18 p.m.

Id look at bilstein shocks (used from pullapart) and tall ball joints (proforged) for your replacement stuff. Will definitely be a noticeable improvement 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
11/16/20 5:48 a.m.

Thanks fellas. The shock was a pita. But I went around the issue. The bottom bolts came out easy. Top didn't. So I cut it off along with the stud and they just fell out. Obviously as I'm replacing them I didn't care. Passenger side was leaking badly and both were shot. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
11/21/20 11:15 a.m.

Looks good?

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DpwBBqAFw22aDqnW71M9NhFi9GGyhKsctWSAv1PQxO2R1AQyb5Dz7srOwWcQNFlm