6 7 8 9 10
bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/29/20 7:05 p.m.

I made a dump truck. 

Lol. Pulling the fuel sender to mod it for carb use. 

And gutted. Now to mod the pick up. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
7/31/20 6:23 p.m.

So two things. One. I need to clean the garage and two. I need to get moving. So much to do. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/6/20 7:37 a.m.

Hope to make progress next couple of days. Had to wait for the new mounts. Which arrived Wednesday. That whole hurricane/tropical storm crap which caused delays as were a coastal town and we've had our shares. Ever since Florence and Dorian were all gunshy. Either way. I did fit the dizzy and water outlet so that's done. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/6/20 10:08 a.m.

you're gonna want to change one of those valve cover breathers to an intake vacuum line.  if not, you'll drip oil out both breathers.  you can probably keep the actual breather in place, just block off the top of it internally and attach the vacuum line below that.  then you'll have (mostly) symmetric appearance plus functional PCV.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/7/20 11:26 a.m.

Mounted the fuel pump. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/7/20 11:30 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Great point. I was considering that. I deleted my earlier reply because my OCD was tripping out the reply was in BOLD.......

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/8/20 8:45 a.m.

Alright. Engine is in with correct mounts!  Not adjusted as I have to do that once I bolt the trans and remainder of the driveline in. 

Past that I pushed the truck out to clean the frame and get that done. 

Not a huge difference in the pics but a lot of crap came off.

Before. 

After

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/8/20 3:27 p.m.

So jealous of those cab corners and rocker  panels.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/9/20 9:11 a.m.

Mocking up. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/10/20 11:19 a.m.

So the alternator bracket fits the head only on the stud. No other provisions for the bracket bolts. It's pretty tight but once tensioned the bracket moves under tension and hits the corner of the intake. Over time this will cause the manifold corner to crack. So I fabricobbled together a bracket. This will go between the alternator bracket and the ac compressor bolts. That bracket is mounted correctly with three bolts and a stud. 

Work in progress pic. 

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/10/20 11:45 a.m.

Was the OE fuel pump toast? Why not go with the OE pump/assembly and then a nice FPR to drop the pressure down? I've never been a fan of those MrGasket pumps...

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/10/20 12:29 p.m.

In reply to iansane (Forum Supporter) :

I went with it as I didn't have a regulator and I had the pump. I've spent enough on this project that anything free works!

Plus from my I read the regulators aren't perfect either. Dropping fuel pressure from 45-60 to 5-6. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/10/20 12:40 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

I did 58-7.5 from an in tank pump to a Holley carb. Required some slight modifications to the bypass regulator (drilling the return oriface) to get me where i was happy and the adjustment actually was useful. 

I also hate clack pumps.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/10/20 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Whats a clack pump?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/10/20 2:23 p.m.

The little ones that go "clickety clack" for an indeterminate period of time before they go "clack" and stop working. 

Usually the cheapest universal electric pump at the parts store, of which yours is a more expensive version. 

Ive NEVER had a good experience with one. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/10/20 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Never heard of that before lol!  My dad ran this on a 396 Impala either before he swapped the 283 or after, I dont know which? Thanks for the tip though! Will update my slang :)

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/10/20 3:51 p.m.

Also I think I get to redo the fuel pick up. I was bored and checked into it. Apparently fuel line thats meant for fuel is not the same as hose that can be submerged in fuel.  So yeah.  Looks like I will be fabbing a metal pick up! 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/10/20 6:06 p.m.

Eyeballed the bracket. Works great!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/16/20 12:36 p.m.

Ok. Fuel system is plumbed. Tested with my little jump box to the pump and no leaks. 

Aftet that I ran some of the coolant hoses and capped the unused port on the water pump. 

I reinstalled the wheel liners. Still have plenty of room to install the headers which will probably be next. 

Waiting on flex plate bolts to install the trans and once that's done I will adjust as needed to get it all installed.  Then it's a matter of wiring and grounds and I should be able to start it!  

Edit. Plus the radiator and and all that. So. Maybe closer?

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/18/20 11:19 a.m.

Holley makes a bracket that fit perfect. Eyeball engineering at its finest. 

I did the carb backwards because the vac line is right next to the brake booster. Plus I didn't wanna have to get another cable so. 

Literally fit like a glove using the stock cable! I need to trim off some of the clips but that's the rough fit.  

I do need a way to cut the cable and attach to the linkage. Any ideas?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 2:04 p.m.

I'd be a little worried about the backward carb because of how they slosh on acceleration. In the forward config, the carb is engineered to deliver max power while fuel is sloshed toward the back of both fuel bowls. 

I dunno if it works or not backward. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/18/20 3:16 p.m.

I have seen them mounted all sorts of ways. I had checked and some say that in extreme cases such as racing or cornering you can have issues.  I spoke to the foreman whow builds circle track cars in his spare time and he said it will work.  Heck I have seen them mounted sideways! Good point though! Thanks!

EDIT - Only way to know is to run it and find out!  Appreciate your input, I do. Nice to see it :)

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
8/18/20 4:07 p.m.

About attaching to the linkage.  Holley sells expensive little studs that should allow your stock cable to attach.  That is to say, they seem expensive...but they're oh so easy.  

Start by looking at the specs of Holley part number 20-38.  If that's not the right one, it'll be in the same section of the catalog.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/18/20 5:33 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Thank you!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/19/20 6:56 a.m.

I basically ordered a universal cable just for this end. 

Also while I was on the bay. I found a authentic Mexican blanket to go over my seats. I have seat covers but this will finish it off. 

Have house work to do so I'll try to get something done today. May ground and wire up the fuel pump at lunch. 

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wjMBaotzv9HC9HZaLU5gEzstAafkBlDqinsaSuAhQ6hkxEyma3vFRFuOBVGP4xOw