bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
8/19/20 10:47 a.m.

Nothing completes the old man truck vibe more than a blanket seat cover.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/19/20 12:19 p.m.

In reply to bigbrainonbrad :

YES!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/19/20 3:01 p.m.

Sooooooo. Love this!

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/19/20 7:05 p.m.

I have the C/K set. Priceless. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/20/20 12:25 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Yep. Nothing better than thumbing through a book vs zooming in on a image on a phone.  

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/20/20 12:27 p.m.

The Holley (Mr Gasket) fuel pump is a Micro 12S. More than what I have need of and upon further research it only draws 2 amps at max delivery. So, since its not that much and I need it on a switched circuit. I will tap into a unused or not needed fused circuit in the fuse box inside the truck. Will solve the issues quite nicely. Then at that point all I need do is wire the fans and trans controller.  Boom.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/25/20 10:38 a.m.

Finally got the correct Flexplate. All I have to do now is put the trans in!  Maybe tonight if I can get time. Then it's slap the shaft in and adjust as needed. Then headers. Wooooohoooo!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/25/20 11:01 a.m.

Paper book is 100% better than digital.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/26/20 8:15 p.m.

Some progress. Took a couple hours mostly because the damn trans jack acted up. Ended up half way putting in the trans crossmember to rest the trans on and lifted by hand on the dowels. Anyhow. It's all in. Nothing is tight and so far it looks like it's how it needs to be. 

Had to mildly mod the tunnel. Rolled that lip and had to whack the tunnel a lil. 

All in. 

All in. Again. Nothing tightened but looks good. Tommorow I'll go through it all and adjust as needed and tighten it all up. Next step. Headers!  

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/30/20 2:04 p.m.

Headers are in!  

Also finished the throttle cable install!

Need to run trans cooler lines. Then start work on the radiator and all that. Afterwords tidy up wiring and fluids and she should fire up! 

Edit:  Waiting on starter. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
8/30/20 9:33 p.m.

Looking great!  Keep up the good work!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/4/20 7:49 a.m.

Picked up a TCI Fast shifter. Had not intended to but I was at Advance and was cruising the isles. It was sitting there opened. I took a peek and it was all there and only 80 bucks!  I looked online and it still sells for 160!  Yeah.

I was reticent about shifting the truck with the stock column shifter and had my eye on a shifter and this just worked out! 

Stock pic cause I forgot to take one. SMH.........

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/8/20 11:49 a.m.

Slapped the shifter in. Drilled the holes and installed riv nuts. Need to massage the shifter cable hole a tad. But coming along!  

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/9/20 8:53 a.m.

So I sold the Subaru and picked this up as a new daily. 

2007 Volkswagen Golf GTI. 99k 2.0T 6MT. 

Mods are maintenance focused.

Timing belt kit

Water pump 

Cam follower

Gfb diverter valve upgrade

PCV delete

R8 coils

New NGK Plugs

AEM Dry Flow Air Filter (read the stock airbox is best so it may not do much but at least its reuseable)

Car is fun, tight and amazing.  Door cards and headliner need to be reupholstered which is a common thing with VW's as I understand. Ordered Suede headliner material to do it all up right. 

Should I start another thread?  

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
9/9/20 2:25 p.m.

Personally I'm not a fan of these "combined" build threads people have started to do (where they post updates on all the different projects they have going in the same thread).  Not sure if that was what you were asking but it's 0 cents worth of advice for free ;)

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/9/20 4:03 p.m.

No thats what I was asking. Thanks!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/9/20 4:04 p.m.

Installed!  Nearly. 

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
9/10/20 10:00 a.m.

Messes with the grandpa truck vibe, cool nonetheless though. Would an OE floor shift console fit over it?

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/10/20 2:47 p.m.

No. I though of that. I figure if this is the only concession to having a positive shift. I wasnt confident in the column shifter being up to shifting manually, especially when Im getting on the truck.  This was the best compromise, but still. Your right.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/11/20 7:12 a.m.

Was blessed with a starter that will fit!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/11/20 7:14 a.m.

I have some boots from my army days. Could use a boot as a shift boot. Lol. 

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/12/20 4:11 p.m.

Lot of progress today. I really needed to get the core support on to get the radiator fitted. Was able to get it installed without cutting. I pressure washed it. Hit it with OSPHO and then bed lined it with the same stuff I had done the fender liners. 

Idk if I took a pic after I bed lined it. 

So here it is installed with the radiator mocked up. I also tucked the overflow line. 

I may not run the shroud. But the fans fit in the other side. 

Here is the front end back on 

Have to sort the grounds. Plug a hole in the intake. Install the starter and figure out the lines and hoses and start it up! So close!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
9/15/20 6:20 p.m.

Today I finished putting on the front end of the truck as well as finishing up all of the grounds and wiring.   

I also installed the dipstick for the engine oil as well as miscellaneous wires. 

as well today I was able to rig up a temporary starter signal wire and was able to get the truck to crank with the key. 

This was a big concern of mine as I had read horror stories about people not being able to get them to crank I was blessed and had none of those issues. 

At this point all I need to do is do a couple of more small wiring jobs put the spark plugs as well as spark plug wires fill fluids finish the radiator and I can start it. Past that point all I need to do to drive it is finish up the transmission shifter cable put the interior back in the bed one and that's it. 

Of course that doesn't mean it's done I do have a lowering kit to put on to complete the grandpa truck and figure out what I'm going to do with exhaustOf course that doesn't mean it's done I do have a lowering kit to put on to complete the grandpa truck and figure out what I'm going to do with exhaust

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
9/15/20 6:28 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Exhaust, something quiet with a single tailpipe give or take in the stock location. Maybe an electric cutout for when you want to hear it.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/16/20 6:45 a.m.

I can almost see the smoke coming off of the back tires now !!!  Man, you are making me miss my '03 S10 ... so much potential.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
30ectFneh6MknyhS1s4g0RPR3QeA9yVXlFOtnePZ6CfJbHJnGvlAPozFxLXLCKWd