5 6 7
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/30/21 10:37 a.m.

Once we got all the windows back from being powder coated at Blastmasters, it was finally time to start buttoning up the Shasta. Assembly was the reverse of disassembly, as they say, with some caveats:

1) These windows predate fiberglass screens, and as a result the design of some of them depends on metal screens' ability to crimp around a frame. So we went metal all around, and learned the hard way that you really, really want to wear gloves when rescreening with metal. Those screens can really slice and dice.

2) If you do powdercoat your screen frames and use metal screens, prepare for some extra bull work to get that spline back into the channel. Also, wear gloves. Really.

The powder coating was really worth the extra work:

Oh hayy, is that a wing? Yeah. The good stuff is ahead.

Marjorie Suddard
3/30/21 11:14 a.m.

But first, a word about windows.

Anyone who lived in Florida in the mid-seventies, as I did, is familiar with jalousie and awning windows, both of which can be found on the Shasta.

Jalousie window (above) and awning window (below)

These were super-appropriate for Florida homes because they could remain open in the rain while keeping the water out and also were super-efficient... at letting the AC out. Granted, these were popular in the days before air conditioning was common or double-paned windows were a thing, so it's somewhat understandable how constructing a window like the jalousie, which had absolutely no weatherstripping or draft stopping ability and instead relied on a couple pieces of glass being cranked closed for a seal, could ever be a thing. Like, you're in Florida. What are you gonna have to do, turn the heat up higher on those 50-degree days?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/30/21 11:33 a.m.

In 1968 I was still in the Navy. I lived off base in a Shasta. 16 foot.   Mine was set up perfectly. It had a rear bath tub (knees up sort) almost a shower with a high step over ) a sink and toilet. 

Then a pair of twin beds that later pulled together so my young wife and I could actually sleep together.   The front was all kitchen.  I'll dig around and find a picture of it. 
 Yes I lived in it full time. First with a buddy and later with my wife. 
Before you think I'm heroic I bought it from a Chief Petty officer who  lived in it from new for years with his wife and 3 kids. 
I'll dig around and find a picture 

Marjorie Suddard
3/30/21 11:36 a.m.

Our Shasta has 3/4-inch rigid foam insulation panels behind the birch paneling now, which is worlds better than the one-inch water-damaged fiberglass we tore out of it. Not to mention insulation on the wheel arches (that are under the kitchen cabinets and rear bunk) where there was none, and on the outside compartment doors where there was none. But we are realists about what this is and what it can do, so the Shasta is not weatherproofed for extreme cold. And it will not be the most efficient unit in the campground on hot days. Nor will it be the worst. So we didn't hesitate to go with the original windows. (We fiddled around with trying some clear urethane seals that slide onto the edges of the glass panes--you can see one window above with these on it--but found they keep the windows from cranking fully closed and thus seem like they'd be prone to letting water push itself in at the sides, especially when the thing is going down the road. So they're coming back off.)

All of this is an extremely long-winded way to say we rebuilt the windows to original condition. That meant learning how to repair them.

The most complex need was to get a couple of the jalousies so they would crank open and closed again, meaning we needed to fix or repair their operators. Fortunately both options were available--Lowe's and Home Depot both sell a variety of them online.

Smooth operator, not the Sade kind:

But Tim dug in and, after some study, realized he just needed to reattach a couple of the lever arms where the through-bolt rivet that held them together had broken.

See that little screw head on the left inside the window frame? Levers, man. That's where they join. (Also, see the corner of that screen there? That's where they keep the murder. A professional would have no doubt done a better job. And bled less.)

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/30/21 12:15 p.m.

Love the windows !

When that Shasta was new what did it weigh and what was the weigh limit loaded ?

Are you going to put on heavy duty springs ?   and do they still make trailer tires that size ?

Marjorie Suddard
3/30/21 12:36 p.m.

Original weight was 2275 lbs. from the factory. As it sits now, the Shasta is right around 2500 pounds. So no plan to go to heavy-duty springs, although the entire chassis--springs, brakes, wheels and tires--is either new or refurbished. The wheels and tires came from Coker Tire.

Margie

Marjorie Suddard
3/30/21 12:40 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In 1968 I was still in the Navy. I lived off base in a Shasta. 16 foot.   Mine was set up perfectly. It had a rear bath tub (knees up sort) almost a shower with a high step over ) a sink and toilet. 

Then a pair of twin beds that later pulled together so my young wife and I could actually sleep together.   The front was all kitchen.  I'll dig around and find a picture of it. 
Before you think I'm heroic I bought it from a Chief Petty officer who  lived in it from new for years with his wife and 3 kids. 

That wasn't a Shasta (or any other canned ham)--in 1961 only a few Shasta models had showers, none had bathtubs, and the only 16-ft model with a shower was our 16SC with a wet (marine) shower. I don't know of any trailers of that vintage that fit twin beds and a rear bath, so it would be super cool to see some photos.

Margie

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
3/30/21 1:34 p.m.

I wonder if for hot or cool days you could use a rollable plastic sheet with magnets on the edges to add another layer of insulation on the inside of the camper. Still let light in but not be see-through?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/30/21 5:07 p.m.
The 2016 version of Keith Tanner said:

This has the potential for a really fun build. Personally, I can't wait for the wings. Not enough campers have wings.

I would like to point out that good things do indeed come to those who wait.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/30/21 6:50 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:
frenchyd said:

I dug through some of the newer pictures nothing yet from back in the late 60's .  I do think one of my negatives has a picture though. Have no idea how I'll get a picture out of an old negative  

There might be a little confusion.  Mine was from the 1960's but probably not a 1961   I suspect it was later than that  I got it in late 60's and The chief got it a few years before that.  The interior was all Birch and I loved that woodwork.  (Always loved wood ) 

That wasn't a Shasta (or any other canned ham)--in 1961 only a few Shasta models had showers, none had bathtubs, and the only 16-ft model with a shower was our 16SC with a wet (marine) shower. I don't know of any trailers of that vintage that fit twin beds and a rear bath, so it would be super cool to see some photos.

Margie

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
3/30/21 9:09 p.m.

As a kid, my family started camping first with a Rambler station wagon and a utility trailer with tents and camping gear. Mid-60's. In 68 we got a Shasta trailer like pictured and a 68 Dodge Polara station wagon. 3 kids in the top bunk. In 70 moved to a 21' Pace Arrow motor home then in 73 moved up to a 25' Pace Arrow. That one I used to help dad drive when I turned 16 in 74.

Marjorie Suddard
3/31/21 6:49 a.m.

Shasta Astrodome. Absolutely awesome. I love those, but every time I see one at a trailer rally, I shudder a bit. There are a lot of people in the vintage trailer scene who think "restoration" means painting the inside to hide extensive rot and water damage and then stuffing a lot of pillows in there--seems like a great way to end up with the cab over bunk on a 60 year old wood-framed trailer launching itself into oblivion.

"Astrodome, you are cleared for takeoff."

Margie

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/31/21 6:59 a.m.

I grew up in St. Pete in the 50s & 60s.  Did you know jalousie windows also come in translucent?  Light but semi-private.  I'm surprised there isn't enough flex in any canned ham that windows don't crack and fall out.

Marjorie Suddard
3/31/21 7:18 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Oh yeah, every Florida house I lived in through the mid-'90s had frosted panes in the bathroom jalousies. Good to let out shower steam while keeping the privates private. And yeah, our Shasta had a few cracked panes; more concerning is the way many others are just rubbed/nibbled on the corners. When that thing's a-rockin'... it's moving, somebody's in it, the wind is blowing, you name it.

Margie

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/31/21 10:21 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

In reply to 914Driver :   When that thing's a-rockin'... it's moving, somebody's in it, the wind is blowing, you name it.

Margie

Can you put the Go Pro in the back sometime so we can see how everything is bouncing around when you go do the road :)

Maybe the most boring web stream  until you hit the bad part of the highway !

Marjorie Suddard
4/16/21 8:40 p.m.

I have some more updates to add, but spoiler alert: We're camping this weekend! Shasta is having its first party :)

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nveiIxTHoN4E9zaERXSSlpoL4vrnqJcRqcV09qRr4yTSNvkPZHjg2WN5VaiBAG4B