Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/4/18 11:48 p.m.

I wouldn't complain about pulling transmissions given your set up. 

In fact, if I lived closer I'd do it just to borrow your lift on occasion. LOL

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/5/18 3:29 a.m.

My 12 year old is still too short.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/5/18 4:00 a.m.

In reply to Crackers :

You're right, I shouldn't be complaining.

If you can and pull the transmission, I'd let you use the lift on occasion!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/10/18 7:26 p.m.

Exciting news, everybody!

Still chasing the death noise....

I really didn't want to pull the trans again to swap the converter, so I figured I'd experiment and try the poly trans mount again. Maybe the rubber mount is garbage, and stuff is touching inside?

Nope. But some of the driveline vibration came back.

So today, I pulled the transmission (again.  How many times is this now? 5? 6?), and swapped the original converter back in.

Haven't road tested it yet, I'll let y'all know tomorrow. If the noise is gone, it's the converter for sure. Here's hoping.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/11/18 6:39 p.m.

It's not the converter, so I'll swap that back in this weekend.  QUITE a different driving experience in snow with the stock converter over the high stall converter - the stall hides a lot of throttle input on the slippery surface.

So I think I've come to two conclusions:

1) the vibration/noise is clearly not important, since it cannot be found.

2) the mufflers are clearly WAY too quiet.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/11/18 6:49 p.m.

That sucks! I had a similar issue with a customer car once. It was a late TBI S10. 

That poor guy spent a lot of money, and we never did find the issue. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/13/18 10:04 a.m.

Last night I pulled the trans out to swap the high stall converter back in, but figured I'd sleep on it before I put it back in.

I cannot find ANY discussion ANYWHERE where a low-roller clutch would make noise.  I have two books on rebuilding automatics; nothing. Lots of forums; nothing. Lots of creative Googling; nothing.

Now, I was given one of them heavy-duty wide-700R4 low-roller/case-saver jobbies from the trans shop I bought my parts from. And I confess, I didn't dig deep into that when I had the trans apart over Christmas (an idiot move on my part).  I mean, I gave it a cursory glance, but didn't disassemble it.

I think at this point, I would be a fool not to pull it apart again, and either give it a thorough inspection, or just swap it out of the OEM goodness of less power-handling.

Film at 11.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/13/18 10:54 a.m.

The 44-year-old Tecumseh motor in my Snow Thrower just gave itself to the Great Snow Bank in the Sky.

This weekend is looking busier than I expected, what with the ABS having just quit on the family cruiser as well.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/13/18 2:00 p.m.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the low-roller clutch:

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
1/13/18 4:30 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

The 44-year-old Tecumseh motor in my Snow Thrower just gave itself to the Great Snow Bank in the Sky.

This weekend is looking busier than I expected, what with the ABS having just quit on the family cruiser as well.

I had an old tecumseh engine in my 1962 Ariens get tired, so I bought a Harbor Freight 212cc to replace it, under $100 with a coupon.  I was amazed to find how easy it was to put it on, the engine bolt pattern was the same, the crank nose was the same size and same thread inside, and in exactly the same location so the stock belt and everything all just worked.  

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/14/18 12:12 a.m.

Truck is back together.  No difference.  For what it's worth.  I am fast losing interest in this truck.

Picked up a Honda Clone from Princess Auto to put in the Ariens snowblower, only to discover (poor planning on my part) that the Ariens uses a twin-output Tecumseh to run the machine - one for the wheels, the other for the tines. So...... I may be on the lookout for another snowthrower.

I think I fixed the ABS issue on the family wagon.  There was a blackened ABS sensor connector pin at the left front wheel.  I cleaned the snot out of it and tweaked the connector to have a better connection.  We'll see if that works.  

Didn't really have a good run of things today.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/14/18 9:13 p.m.

Deciding what to do with the Ariens....

The local classifieds coughed up an FMC Bowlens 8hp of questionable antiquity (probably late 70's?). Some thorough proper adjustments, and it's throwing snow again!  Yay!

I like that it, too, is all metal, and devoid of safety features.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
1/14/18 10:43 p.m.

Wrenching in the winter sucks. Even if you're inside on a lift- all that snow and slop makes it unpleasant at best. Keep up the good work, don't lose faith in the old girl!

Unless it's really time, in that case send it down the road and move onto the next thing!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/14/18 10:50 p.m.

I'm losing faith in the old girl. The FUN is has been reduced to just FU.

I have my eye on a '64 C10 down the road.  The more I have to work on the '77, the more both eyes start to look at the '64.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/15/18 10:58 a.m.

Manual trans  wink

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/15/18 3:43 p.m.

Doesn't the V8 Firefly also have a TH350? Could you borrow it and throw it in the truck to confirm the trans is the source of the problem? 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
1/15/18 4:00 p.m.

Is there a driveline shop you could have give it a once over to try and pinpoint the issue?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/15/18 8:20 p.m.

The Firefly has a short-shaft TH350, and the truck has the medium-shaft TH350, so that won't work quite as well as we'd like.

I have a pair of braided exhaust flex joint coming, in case there's the off-chance that teh exhaust system is what is vibrating and tranmitting that vibration in through the driveline.  I will eat my shorts if that's the case.  Angrily.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
1/16/18 4:15 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

The Firefly has a short-shaft TH350, and the truck has the medium-shaft TH350, so that won't work quite as well as we'd like.

I have a pair of braided exhaust flex joint coming, in case there's the off-chance that teh exhaust system is what is vibrating and tranmitting that vibration in through the driveline.  I will eat my shorts if that's the case.  Angrily.

Hey now!  How would you know how I eat shorts?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/17/18 10:27 p.m.

SkinnyKid1 and I pulled the dual-shaft Tecumseh snowblower engine apart this evening.

The Tecumseh's last lunch was itself.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/17/18 10:38 p.m.

Just needs a rod and some rtv. Itll be fine.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/18/18 12:27 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

No way. 

You need JB weld to fix that hole. 

But seriously, the window being on that side means it probably didn't smack (and bend) the cam, if it wasn't run low on oil (i.e. will the rod journal clean up) this one might be saveable.  Or get another old Tecumseh engine and swap over the side cover and cam. Or use the predator engine with both belts on the same shaft and figure out how to get the thing driving forward again.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/18/18 12:40 a.m.

Naw.

Pic half-way up this page you'll see the snow blower I bought to replace it with - cost about the same as fixing this one. Old one was less "snow" and more "blower."

Didn't run out of oil. Yeah, it's saveable - but not by me.  Not worth it.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
1/18/18 7:31 a.m.

Damn, go big or go home! Sweet carnage, sucks it let go but cool it let go in such spectacular fashion? 

And I for one hope your flexy exhaust joint helps your issue, just because I always hate hearing about phantom driveline problems that go unsolved. Well heck any unsolved problem is no fun. So, here's to having shorts for dinner! 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/20/18 5:09 p.m.

The boys and I went to go look at a 60's Chevy truck today.

This is the second truck where "yes I have papers" actually meant "no I don't have papers."

Here, that means it needs an inspection to be insured and road legal, which means I disassemble the whole truck, fix everything (rust, mainly), then get it inspected, then take it apart and molest it properly. Not really the path I want to go down.  I really want something with BC registration, so I can go straight to molestation. If it has to pass inspection, I might as well pick up something from Texas/Arizona/California.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
esquuceNuqEpEpqZlv5qg0OcjupFhGXmAM3LMklPFC52zuQkI8yeSo8yImF68Umo