stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/20/19 10:16 a.m.

I like the mounts.  Simple and yet attractive.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/20/19 11:14 p.m.

Trans mount is 1.5" tube, with 3/16" flanges, 3/8" bolts. Driveline is about 3° down, and none of the driveline is below the frame. I will -probably- have to modify the top of the frame "X" (and cab floor?) for driveshaft clearance.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
10/21/19 8:30 p.m.

Just how much vibration will you experience with all this(engine/trans) solidly mounted?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/21/19 8:41 p.m.

I don't know.

I have OEM-clamshell-style poly mounts in my '77 and it's really no problem.

I did the motor mounts in the V8 Firefly just like this, and it was really no problem.

I don't want the motor flopping around with a big turbo hung off the side of it, and I don't want the exhaust flopping around behind it either.....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/21/19 8:46 p.m.

Although, you're saying "solidly mounted" but it's not solid mounted, it's poly mounts.  Solid would be metal-to-metal. Though, compared to rubber, this is pretty solid.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
10/24/19 8:40 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

Although, you're saying "solidly mounted" but it's not solid mounted, it's poly mounts.  Solid would be metal-to-metal. Though, compared to rubber, this is pretty solid.

SkinnyG sorry i wasn't wearing me cheaters.....but these poly mounts of which you speak, apparently there's enough cush in them to suppress vibrations thru the seat cushion? How thick are they?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/24/19 11:20 p.m.

They are poly 4-link bushes from Energy Suspension.

The bush itself is 1.382" OD, and 0.875" ID

There's probably going to be some vibrations through the seat cushion, but I don't anticipate it being awful.  I've run them before.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/25/19 7:23 p.m.

'68 column auto shift arrived. Yay!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/25/19 7:35 p.m.

A small victory is still a victory!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/9/19 8:59 p.m.

The "new" column didn't shift, and the wheel on it is not the right wheel, and the horn apparatus on the '61 does not work with the '68 column.

I took the column out of the '61, took both of them apart, and compared everything inside.  The '68 column is longer, but for the most part very similar.  I could put the column shift parts in the '61 column with very minimal work, or I could adapt the '68 column to fit the '61 dash.  I could even probably shorten the '68 column too.

One disadvantage of keeping the '61 column, is the signal light switch was designed by Rube Goldberg, and it may be beneficial to keep the later stuff.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/11/19 7:11 p.m.

I decided to keep the '68 column, modifying it to use the '61's mounting system.  I will figure out how to work the '61's horn to operate on the '68 column.

It took a LOT of time mucking around with the column to figure out why it didn't shift, and how it should go back together. But it's done, and it's in.

The spline on the column is the exact same as the spline on the Fox Mustang rack.  Interesting.  Another 3/4-36 spline u-joint on the way.  Anyone need a DD-to-DD u-joint?

Also removed the clutch pedal.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/16/19 10:41 p.m.

Waiting for the 1350 yoke for the 9" before I can order a driveshaft.

Waiting on a 3/4-36 to DD universal before I can finish the steering.

Waiting to decide if I want to have the front clip blasted now, or wait until I pull more things off, or what (I really don't know).

Waiting until my next trip into town to pick up a 3/8" rod end so I can make the shifter rod.

Waiting to decide exactly how to fabricate a hidden hitch.

I pulled the rest of the wire out of the cab, radio speaker, fuse box, removed the cowl and wiper motor, and the insulation. I never got keys (that actually fit anything) with this truck, so removing the ignition lock involved a hefty step drill.

Need to make adapter to mount hydroboost.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/20/19 10:35 p.m.

No progress lately, buggered my hand good at work.  Skin grows back.

3/4"-36 spline adapter arrived, so I can fit the steering shaft once I can wear gloves.

Started measuring to make an adapter to run hydroboost.  Haven't decided if I will integrate everything, or make it reversible.  Leaning towards fixed.

V-Bands for exhaust arrived, but have to decide whether to modify the LS manifolds in simple exhaust tubing, SCH40 pipe, or find 2.25 x 0.120 wall.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/21/19 11:25 p.m.

Driveshaft yoke is in.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/22/19 9:55 a.m.

Hydroboost ...is there a website?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/22/19 10:11 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Hydroboost ...is there a website?

HB is used in tons of OE applications where packaging or lack of engine vacuum dictate a solution other than a big vacuum canister behind the master cylinder.  typical HB installations share the power steering pump output as their source of assist force.   SN95 Cobra, tons of diesels, etc.

ASE description of hydroboost

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/22/19 10:25 a.m.

Thanks Angry.....carry on Skinny G

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/23/19 7:24 p.m.

Shifter is hooked up to the trans. PRND32 all line up, and 1 is just off the screen. It'll be fine. I -will- need to build up the P/R peg, as it's quite worn and too easy to slip out of park.

I got the steering connected, and had to chop a bit of the frame to do so.

Ride height also appears to be 11", measured from the front wheel center to the fender edge.  That's, um, pretty low....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/24/19 7:52 p.m.

Blasted and painted the power steering pump body, as well as the accessory mount.

Also ran a couple plugs and hung retracting extension cords in the shop, my only regret in the entire shop build.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/25/19 1:18 a.m.

About eight iterations of Hydroboost mount brackets, trying to find something I like, and kind of copying what others have done before me.  In the end, I will likely do a very simple bracket that bolts on where the original clutch/brake master sat (blocking off the clutch hole), and have the Hydroboost mount to that.  Need to make a BIGASS wrench though.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/25/19 10:34 p.m.

I may not have fully thought out the ability to tighten the adapter-plate-to-firewall fasteners.....

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/30/19 8:40 p.m.

Got the Hydroboost mounted.  Just have to alter the link to the brake pedal.

Also mounted the PS/Alt bracket, after a duck-shaped coating of Plastikote Aluminum engine paint. PS pump was blasted and sprayed with Zinc and then Tremclad Hammered finish. Pulley is black brake caliper paint I had.

Pump reserviour was the nicest one I found at the wreckers, but lo and behold, it was beginning to rot out under the powdercoating. This is turning me off of powdercoating the frame. Reserviour was blasted, zinc'd and will get a coat of Tremclad Hammered tomorrow.

I put the "non-bent" fender on the driver's side and was pleased to dicover this truck is NOT too low after all - it can steer!  It'll be DANG low, but it will steer easily AND be able to hit bumps at the same time.  Yay!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/1/19 8:41 p.m.

Trimmed the inner fenders to clear the shock mounts, steering shaft, and raised crossmember. Placed nose just to see how to fit intercooler. And AC condenser. And trans cooler. And PS cooler. And oil cooler. And cooling fan. Going to be an interesting challenge. I quit and went in when my brain was full.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/1/19 9:23 p.m.

Thread continues to deliver. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/1/19 9:55 p.m.

Indeed.

Wow!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qqsyHYXSQV23XkQ0p8rR41DxdBrE4GP4frX0kxliqgEo6clfTonapkUlN4PnkVxy