1 2 3
Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
5/6/18 9:17 p.m.

I love it.  I spent a bunch of time driving one of those around.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/18/18 10:12 p.m.

Picked up a 6.0L LS and a 4L60E complete with ECU and harness for $1000 CDN ($765 US at today's exchange). Ran when crashed into. Delightful price.  Pick up one of these and then check out Sloppy Mechanics and tell me you don't get inspired.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/18/18 10:26 p.m.

We're putting a supercharged 6.0 LS truck engine into a Beaumont at work right now.

When I was researching what the stock bottom end of these engines could handle, I came across a Super Chevy article where they managed to get around 1500hp out of it before it spat out a connecting rod. I think they were using an eBay twin turbo kit and spray.

That's with those tiny stock pistons with almost no skirt on them too.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/18/18 10:36 p.m.

Do you have the link to that article?  Sounds like a saucy read.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/18/18 11:08 p.m.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1711-how-much-boost-can-a-6l-ls-truck-short-block-take/

Sorry. My mistake. The smaller engines used CXRacing turbos, this used Borg Warner turbos.

No spray, just 1400hp at 28psi!

Run_Away
Run_Away HalfDork
8/18/18 11:08 p.m.

Oh you lucky bastard. I've been keeping an eye on those and prices are stupid! That's a steal.

Looks like the harness is uncut too?

Did your success with the TBI tuning tip you towards the LS?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/18/18 11:29 p.m.

The LS was a significant plan for the '61.

I -have- a Vortec 350 I got for free because it made a ticking noise and the dude thought it was a 305.  But once I got it apart, I found it spun two rod bearings. I get a crank and a couple rods and fix it..... but at that point why not build a stroker? But that that point, why not just move up from 1955 and go LS. The Vortec is still on a stand at work.

I also have a late 700R4 (4L60 non-E) on a shelf that ran when I pulled it, but to make it handle decent power, you're going to spend some serious coin. I want to run boost. So it's still on a shelf. Truthfully, I wanted a stick, but if I boost the 6.0, I may not have a stick for long.  Even the TKO600 -may- not last as long as I want behind a 600+hp LS.

TBI tuning on the V8 Firefly was just because it's what I had, and I didn't want to spend lot sof money on a car I'm going to sell next year. It was good to dabble a bit in OEM ECUs, though things have increased in complexity significantly since 1988. I am reasonably confident I can work my way through this ECU when the time comes.  Failing that, I still have an MSII-PCBv3.0 on a shelf, but then I'd have to find some way to control the trans. With this (and yes, the harness is un-cut, though some connectors got broken), I'm solid.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
5PRYY7zecSMskCAJrU3gZjtu5nRqyKhrjKLapfbjcolZR0moMBkLoSPv4LKoo2dy