AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
9/17/19 12:30 p.m.

Pete - Yes - compressing the front springs. No - no engine in the car.

I gave a call to a good Healey friend over lunch who confirmed the steps for the threaded rod approach. I'm working out of town today so I may not get to the shop this evening. If not, Wednesday is the day.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
9/18/19 7:52 a.m.

After a long day of work and travel I just wanted to be home last night... still needed to make some sort of progress! I decided to run to the shop and grab the gauges and switches from the dashboard which has been hanging, painted in my basement for literally years. I would work on it sitting on the couch with my wife. 

When I got to the shop I was sucked into the drivers side leaf spring and gave it another shot. Had it done in 10 minutes. Success!

In reality, the tach, speedo and fuel gauge have to come back out as the little rubber washers were completely dry rotted but I'm pumped about how it looks.

Home Depot run was this morning. 3/8 rod, nuts and washers have been collected. Front springs going in tonight. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
9/19/19 2:19 p.m.

The Healey has suspension. I actually took a picture of the process so that there would be photo evidence on the internet for the next poor soul who tries this but I apparently deleted it...

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
9/20/19 12:45 p.m.
IMG_105903648

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
9/23/19 8:41 a.m.

It doesn't feel like I have much to show for the work I did this weekend but here goes. I painted a bunch parts, bent the lines from the reservoir to both master cylinders, rebent the front brake lines to go around the steering components, installed the dash, wired much of the dash, wired much of the rest of the car and more. I also took the BMW out yesterday morning. It ran extemely well but the front brakes are dragging.

EDIT: I also cleaned up and painted the ebrake mechanism and started poking through the complicated throttle assembly.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/23/19 12:07 p.m.

I also cleaned up and painted the ebrake mechanism and started poking through the complicated throttle assembly.

Don't you just love how Healeys present as a collection of Rube Goldberg machines traveling in close formation? The linkages are exquisite in their complexity no matter how banal the actual mechanical task requirement is. Hood latch release  and throttle linkages  must have had engineers paid by the component. I broke down the linkage on a 100-4 to its smallest clip and washer, and there were like 70 ish parts needed to make the throttle open.

Pete

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
9/23/19 12:28 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I also cleaned up and painted the ebrake mechanism and started poking through the complicated throttle assembly.

Don't you just love how Healeys present as a collection of Rube Goldberg machines traveling in close formation? The linkages are exquisite in their complexity no matter how banal the actual mechanical task requirement is. Hood latch release  and throttle linkages  must have had engineers paid by the component. I broke down the linkage on a 100-4 to its smallest clip and washer, and there were like 70 ish parts needed to make the throttle open.

Pete

YES! Many systems seem to be an exercise in round-a-bout engineering.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
9/30/19 8:10 a.m.

The Healey is a roller! Well...if I were to put the wheels on it would roll around and steer. Pretty exciting stuff. 

Rear brakes / axle - Done. Front brakes / hubs - Done. Front brake hardlines from flex to caliper - Done. Rear brake hardlines from the distribution block to wheel cylinders - Done. Engine bay wiring - Done. *except for the things that can't be hooked up yet. Dashboard wiring - Done. *except for the two light build sockets I need to splice in that didn't come with the harness. 

I'm now on to the engine. I removed all the bolts for the intake and exhaust manifold but the damn thing wouldn't come off yesterday. It seems to be married to one of the studs. It's soaking in it's 4th coat of PB and will come off tonight. I also started degreasing the engine and trans for paint. 

I lost most of last week due to being out of town for work so I'm behind schedule. My goal is to have the engine painted by the end of the week. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll have the oil pan and valve cover gaskets done as well.

Just an aside about how much of a strange combination of parts this car is. When I sent off the calipers to be rebuilt, Apple Hydraulics confirmed that they are the calipers that are used with the servo braking system. There is no servo on this car nor has there ever been. No huge deal, just means a bit more foot force to stop it I guess. It did, however, cause me a bit of extra work. The mounting holes for this caliper are further apart than a non-servo caliper. Obviously the stub axles are of the right variety but the bracket that allows the flex line to connect to the hardline had the wrong hole pattern. I don't remember how it was when I took it apart but it must have only be using one of the two holes. 

Sorry no pictures. My phone has decided it is full and can't accept any more information. I'll try to remember my camera tonight. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/1/19 7:46 a.m.

Forgot my camera but last night was pretty boring anyway. 2.5 more hours into degreasing and cleaning the engine and it's still not ready for paint...

artur1808
artur1808 Reader
10/1/19 8:56 a.m.

I don't have anything useful to add, but I love those gauges!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/2/19 7:11 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

I have to say that I agree. This dash and those gauges have always been a favorite of mine.

I'm really dropping the picture ball here but the engine and trans are in primer.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/2/19 7:24 a.m.

You can do eet.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/4/19 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I may or may not can do eet but I'm sure giving it the ole' try.

The Lump is painted. I could throw it on Craigslist as rebuilt...

There are two colors that Healey engines were painted. Darker Green and Lighter Green. This is Lighter Green and I much prefer it to Darker Green. Not sure if it's technically the right color for this particular unit but I am sure that I don't care! I'll paint the oil pan when it's off to do the gasket and I'll paint the valve cover separately too.

Here are some pictures from the progress in the last week.

I should have a few hours to spare tomorrow before our first wedding of the next three weekends so hopefully I can get the engine and trans separated and maybe even replace a couple things.  Sunday is the Rallycross so there will be no Healey time. I'm nearing the final stretch here but time is-a-tickin' to meet my end of October deadline. I suppose you could say this is a bit limp wristed but really as long as we get to drive it a couple times this fall I'll be a happy guy.

I also really want to get the body out of Elmore's bed so I can drive it a few more times and store it correclty.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/7/19 8:10 a.m.

First off, I think the Rallycross was a success all in all and the Fairgrounds people seemed happy. I think we'll be doing more of them. There was a really great showing from the OVR/MVR guys as well as a number of people from the Detroit region. We also had Dead_Sled and Knurled come out. It was a long day but a good day. I didn't run during the actual event but took the URS6 out on the course once everything was cleaned up. 

Saturday allowed for a couple hours on the Healey between hanging with my family and getting ready for Wedding #1. I pulled the valve cover, mounted the fan and separated the engine and trans. Although the clutch operation felt fine last time I drove it, we apparently need a new pressure plate.

I'm hoping a friend can get me one early this week so I don't have to pay Moss' ridiculous shipping costs. I want the engine and trans back together this week. Although the engine hasn't run in quite a while, everything seems dry from the rear main - a common issue with these motors. Maybe it's had the "permanent" fix done. There's some gunk in the bellhousing but less than I would have expected.

The valve cover had two tags riveted on from the factory. The replacement tags are actually stickers. Do we think I need to weld up those 4 little holes or will the stickers to the trick?

The last thing I did before leaving to get ready was pull the oil pan. 

What I found at the bottom of the pan... I've already lost sleep over. Not only is there a biblical sludge at the bottom of the sump (maybe not unexpected) but there were what I would describe as chunks of metal buried in the sludge. The biggest piece so far was about 1/8" round and 1/16" thick. I didn't have time to inspect the bottom end on Saturday, that will be tonight. When we had this thing running, it was buttery smooth, no strange noises whatsoever. I have to assume that if we have chunks of bearing missing that big, there would be some noise.

I'm thinking (see: hoping) that this is remnants from a previous rebuild. This engine has been painted at least two times in its life, definitely has been apart and much of the other work done was done by a highly capable hack. From what I know about this car, I could definitely see the guy rebuilding the engine and either not cleaning out the oil pan or just chucking one on that he had laying around.

Years ago I tracked down who I believe "restored" this thing and he said he built a number of 3000s and this one in particular sounded like the last one he did with whatever parts he had laying around.

In all reality, however, it doesn't change the course of this project. An engine rebuild it certainly not in the cards right now.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
10/7/19 9:12 a.m.

The valve cover had two tags riveted on from the factory. The replacement tags are actually stickers. Do we think I need to weld up those 4 little holes or will the stickers to the trick?

If you're ordering a pressure plate, you may as well get the correct plates for the rocker cover (408-900 for the Austin plate, and 408-910 for the valve clearance plate).  The stickers are for a late BJ8, and wouldn't seal the holes properly.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/7/19 9:23 a.m.

In reply to RoddyMac17 :

The plates (stickers) should be arriving today. The plate on my cover said to adjust when hot and that's only available as a sticker from Moss now. I'll weld up the holes.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/8/19 8:27 a.m.

I guess I misremembered. I was able to order the correct plates. They should be here today since they didn't show up yesterday.

Valve cover is painted up and the engine mounts are painted with all new buffers. Crappy pics and only got two becuase my phone decided to die.

I got the oil pan all cleaned up and didn't come across anything else that I wouldn't have expected from a 50+ year old engine in there. Although I couldn't see any bearing material everything on the short block looks really really good from underneath. There wasn't even anything in the oil pickup screen. There's still crosshatching in the cylinders and it even looks like nylocs were used on the rod caps. I also think that the oil pan has the original paint on it. I'm sticking with the short block was rebuilt before my dad bought the car and the guy just tossed the oil pan on.

I'm leaving the oil pan painted as is. I kind of dig the fact that it may be literally the only part of the car that hasn't been berkeleyed with in its life.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/8/19 8:58 a.m.

Nyloc on the rod bolts? That sounds like a bad thing to me?

Do they look like this? Then I wont worry cause they are a compression design.

Pete

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/8/19 10:35 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I didn't notice the top of the bolt but the nut looks exactly like what you have in the picture. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/8/19 1:41 p.m.

Some Austin engines had nyloc rod nuts from new. I hope the last guy used new nuts on reassembly.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/8/19 1:52 p.m.

It didn't need that chunk in the oil pan, send it

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/8/19 2:51 p.m.
Patrick said:

It didn't need that chunk in the oil pan, send it

Yep. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/8/19 2:51 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

You and me both.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/9/19 9:19 a.m.

Definitely nylocs. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures before buttoning up the oil pan. Rocker cover done.

Mounts mounted.

Manifolds separated.

U-Joints separated. I'd rather not go into how long it took me to do this nor the techniques employed because I intend to completely erase it from my memory.

The pressure plate is supposed to arrive today. I don't have much free time between now and Saturday morning when we leave for Wedding #2 but there is a possibility of me having the engine and trans back together and the driveshaft ready by the end of this weekend. That would legitimately mean engine back in the car for the final time next week. Holy E36 M3. You know it's getting real when my parts order for next week is the interior.

This is a reminder for myself that I need to order the windshield when I get back home tonight.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
10/11/19 8:03 a.m.

Had about 1.5 hours to throw at it last night. Got the clutch and pressure plate on, bellhousing cleaned up, engine and trans back together, starter on, alternator on (still need a new belt), new washer for the oil pressure line bung and new slave cylinder on.

I typically don't sacrifice Friday nights with my wife but we'll be together, just the two of us, all weekend at Wedding #2 so I'll go to the shop tonight. My hope is to get the exhaust manifold painted, intake manifold cleaned, get both back on the engine and replace the rubber in the trans mounts. Depending on how long that takes, I'll clean the driveshaft and chuck the new U-Joints in. I think I can say with a high level of certainty that the lump will go in the car next week.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rxv4KigrHLfuoZCwEL4iOtdnksh4nOGvxaphG1WD5iiMdroncf0cEWgdoZFWgWmb