22 23 24
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/12/22 2:51 p.m.

Another reminder for me to listen and ride more. Hope all is well out in TX. Rubber side down. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/12/22 4:11 p.m.

Big wave hello from over here in Decker Prairie...was wondering how y'all were.....busy as usual I see

rothwem
rothwem Reader
4/12/22 4:34 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

and thinks that pursuing a degree in materials engineering is the best way to head in that direction. 

Hey--lurker in this thread, the motos look like a lot of fun. 

You've got my attention with this though, I have a bachelors degree in materials engineering.  I regret it.  One should not get a bachelors in materials science and/or engineering.  Get a bachelors in mechanical engineering, and if the materials part of it is super appealing, get a master's degree in materials.  She'll need one anyway to advance past process engineering in her materials career, but the mechanical undergrad will give her options if she finds herself pidgenholed.  The master's in engineering is usually free also, most engineering grad programs have you work as slave labor for a bit in return for a small stipend and tuition covered.  

Just my 2cents.  

TexasEx
TexasEx New Reader
4/12/22 5:54 p.m.

Seth, what is the name of your podcast? I would love to hear it.

Chris

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/13/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to rothwem :

I agree with a lot of what you said, and that is a conversation to have with her when she gets closer to ransferring from this program to whatever her "main" school will be. All of my kids have changed their mind as they learn more about different stuff in college anyway, but for now I'm psyched that she has a legitimate interest in a thing when entering school. 

In reply to TexasEx :

The show is called Track Walking. It's on a bunch of the usual outlets apparently, but I still link people to Track Walking on Track Tuned because Track Tuned are our buddies and helped us get going when we were aprehensive to get things started. We apparently have 70 episodes now, so maybe enough so you can get a feel for us? 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
4/13/22 1:31 p.m.

Seth, 

Question for you. Where are you trail riding at? Is that over in Sam Houston? I've been wanting to get more in the dual sport riding scene and looking for places to ride. 

Looks like you and the Kiddo had a great time at MotoGP. I was working as a marshal at 8 high there and had a few visitors there over the weekend. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/13/22 2:37 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

We've done a little trail riding over by Austin but 95% of our miles are in the Sam Houston National Forest. This winter/spring has been a little rough with frequent trail closures due to mud and torn up trails. Hoping things dry out heading into summer. Even Mrs. Deuce gave it a try on the big OSET. She likes it a lot more than regular gas bikes. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/13/22 3:26 p.m.

Man, I hope I get to have half as many cool adventures and bonding time with one of my kids as you have with your track buddy daughter.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
4/14/22 1:21 a.m.

Seth,

Forgot to mention it before but your daughter may want to reach out to Cara Adams. If you don't know her, she is the chief firestone tire engineer for indycar. She has been active in women in stem.

No promises that she will respond but she has been very available the couple times I have seen her.

It seems like that is the exact direction your daughter wants to go in.

mazdeuce - Seth
4/14/22 9:08 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Huge thanks for that heads up. I'll pass that along to her. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
4/23/22 11:08 a.m.

So if I was looking for opportunities for this type of racing in the northeast, what would be the search terms to use? 

My google-fu is failing me and I need some guidance. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
4/24/22 6:01 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

I suspect your best shot is to try to look for kart tracks and then find out whether any near you run motorcycle events. I read the term "mini moto" a fair bit, and our local organization that corrals the bikes on the local kart track is called Oregon Lightweight Moto, in case anybody's running with that designation.

OLM in turn works through the local karting club (you join the kart club to ride with OLM), which is affiliated with the NKA (National Karting Alliance) for insurance and stuff, and I was expecting to find a track or club list at the NKA's site, but didn't. You might check kartpulse.com as  a source for looking up tracks?

No Time
No Time SuperDork
4/24/22 6:39 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Thank you. That gives me some more search terms to use. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/25/22 12:45 p.m.

If you do facebook stuff, there is a group called Mini Moto Alliance that has connections to basically all the mini racing in the country. They're a good resource. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/28/22 2:50 p.m.

Pro photographers make us look better than we are. Me anyway, my kid really is this good. 

22 23 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sWQyLVbVFTUScgX7Ljnci0zhnNFq7XTI6hukLPPduRzOmpc67ECz6hncPPnLnyzU