Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/11/19 9:25 a.m.

Ummm....

Tge amc is why my miata has a gas gauge. I know EXACTLY how you know.

Also, that sender may or may not have a float on it....

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/11/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Haha that would be hilarious if theres no float. I'll put some gas in this weekend and see if the needle moves. Actually, I was planning to fill it all the way up and if the needle does move I was going to make a mark at "full".

Dusterbd13-michael
10/11/19 9:44 a.m.

I honestly don't remember at this point if there is a float or not or what the ohm range is for the factory sender.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/16/19 11:47 a.m.

What's going on here?

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/16/19 11:49 a.m.

That's a piece of Reynobond, that I bought at the local scrapyard for $5. Its two pieces of aluminum sandwiching what looks to be a plastic material like plexiglass or something. In total its about 1/8 inch thick. 

I wouldn't say it is 'light' but it's not really heavy either. 

Dusterbd13-michael
10/16/19 12:19 p.m.

Unless its a LOT lower than it was, i dont see the splitter helping a lot. However, im not steve. 

Looking forward to seeing this again, and seeing what you guys have done with it.

It will also be a good reminder of how ludicrous i can get and still have a build work....

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
10/16/19 12:23 p.m.

They are running shorter tires and have reworked the front suspension...

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/16/19 12:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

It will also be a good reminder of how ludicrous i can get and still have a build work....

If you want to see ludicrous give me about 3 days... (or watch 2 fast 2 furious)

Splitter is dropped from the bottom of front bumper about 2-3 inches. Pic doesn't show that well, and I still need to fill in the resulting gap. Splitter very nearly matches the level of the bottom of the front crossmember.

Dusterbd13-michael
10/16/19 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Sweet!

Thats a  LOT lower than i thought it would be. In a good way.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/16/19 2:08 p.m.
Robbie said:

That's a piece of Reynobond, that I bought at the local scrapyard for $5. Its two pieces of aluminum sandwiching what looks to be a plastic material like plexiglass or something. In total its about 1/8 inch thick. 

I wouldn't say it is 'light' but it's not really heavy either. 

Looks like Reynobond literature on the web lists 1.58 lb/sqft. So about the same as 5/8 thick plywood. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/16/19 6:10 p.m.

Those guys with the plywood aero that everyone makes fun of will get the last laugh.

You know...like these guys:

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
10/19/19 10:35 p.m.

Clem, you know me too well. 

Everyone, I present ludicrous mode:

Still buttoning things up for the challenge, but that's a dual element wing on the front above the splitter and a triple element wing out back.

These wings cost me $10 for the reynobond, and a little for used metal from my stash. Plywood was all free from the trash (and it shows, it all got wet in a neighbor's basement). Even the wood screws are all 'reclaimed' from when I recovered a deck this summer.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
10/19/19 10:38 p.m.

Here's some shots of the process of making the front splitter and wing and mounts:

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
10/19/19 10:43 p.m.

​​​​​​

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
10/19/19 10:44 p.m.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
10/19/19 10:45 p.m.

Here's the wood screws I'm using. Not joking about them being on a deck for many many years.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
10/19/19 10:58 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Wow, that's pretty radical. Looking forward to seeing it in person in a few days.  Thanks again for helping me out with the Jag problem.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
10/20/19 3:47 a.m.
Robbie said:

Everyone, I present ludicrous mode:

a) Wooohooo!

b) I wonder if you won't want to increase the angle on the front's second element just to give more gap with the bumper structure.  I wonder if the 'back side' flow will be choked there because of the bumper.

c) you might also take a palm sander / sandpaper with you to round over the leading edges (assuming no rain in the forecast)

d) listen to Steve if he makes any comments.

Did I say:  "woohooo!"  already?   Really interested to hear how this works out.

Dusterbd13-michael
10/20/19 5:01 a.m.

Can i get the tow hook back if theres no plans for it? The miata needs one....

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
10/20/19 2:02 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Can i get the tow hook back if theres no plans for it? The miata needs one....

Hmmmm. I don't know where it is. I'll ask Ian.

RACEC4R
RACEC4R New Reader
10/21/19 8:36 a.m.

In the box of E36 M3 for AMC.

I was iffy about getting rid of it in case we needed it for some reason. 

It was much needed when loading up the car on a trailer.  Not sure I want to delete that feature.

Mike, we do have your coveted shift knob however!

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
10/21/19 11:45 a.m.

Nice, looking forward to seeing it in person, with ALL THE AERO!!!

RACEC4R
RACEC4R New Reader
10/21/19 11:59 a.m.

All your AERO are belong to us!

Thanks again Steve!  You have been instrumental in opening to the door to show us the powa of big wang! (wait wut?)

We still have a couple design features to reveal yet, so stay tuned for the final engineering signoff...(Steve, you will REALLY like this, no joke/puns intended).

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
10/26/19 11:22 a.m.

Final challenge spec!

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/26/19 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I love the colorful graphics, it really looks good. And the wings are awesome.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IKhIBbCbu2RVnhPsuYWtBBGDAgi1Unzt4pchVuMHe3OFQfrhqx3hEp0YV6oFHRgS