1 2 3
JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/8/20 5:24 p.m.

More progress, it's always helpful when it's not 34 miles away lol, so seats are in but did not realize how messed up the drivers seat is so need to look for an actual race seat

Also need to do a solution for the steering rack that pissed all of its fluid out when I pulled the inner boot, heard the STI pre 07 is the way to go

so that's the next big obstacle as of now

Pulled a bumper cover, headlights and hood from a 97 OBX that will make the look a bit better Imho 

Now to put the engine back together and mate the transmission.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/8/20 5:26 p.m.

Also forgot , the entire back of the car is in and ready to go!

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/22/20 5:42 p.m.

So taking the Andy Nelson approach by doing something every day is an amazing strategy, was finally able to get a scoop for the OBX hood and it's starting to look the part.

The battery at one point boiled over (will be more rust repair soon enough) so while in there dropped the front cross member, cleaned and painted it.

I will say the biggest pain in the ass with most of this swap would be trying to find the right bolts to use tbh.

Engine is in!!!! Have to figure out the steering rack before the trans goes in just for ease of installation but I'm getting excited for progress!

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/22/20 7:03 p.m.

WRX got the same steering rack from 05-07 as the STi.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/23/20 9:50 a.m.

In reply to NGTD :

REALLY?  I thought the Saabaru was the only car to get the quicker rack besides the STi.

This would have been good info when I was kinda interested in a Subaru but didn't want a WRX because of the slow steering and didn't want an STi because they were manual only.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
1/23/20 10:54 a.m.

This is a cool project, I've got a 98 Legacy wagon with plans for a manual and H6 swap.  But I've got to finish my MF car first, and actually get a season of racing in.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/23/20 3:02 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to NGTD :

REALLY?  I thought the Saabaru was the only car to get the quicker rack besides the STi.

This would have been good info when I was kinda interested in a Subaru but didn't want a WRX because of the slow steering and didn't want an STi because they were manual only.

My 05 WRX wagon had the same rack, at least dimesionally and design wise. I'm not 100% sure that it's the same ratio as the STi.

02-04 racks don't bolt in to 05-07 WRXs. 

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/26/20 5:18 p.m.

Quick update, this 95 Impreza is now officially a manual!!!

Will definitely say I need a trans jack for the next one, pain in the ass doing it solo with 2 jacks.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/9/20 4:52 p.m.

Wow been a little bit, so had to fix former owners "fixes" which is half the reason for the harness swap.

Ended up just getting a normal rack but put some white line Anti lift's and rack bushings in.

Thanks to Josh I was able to score an actual seat, a half day with some fabrication and we are G2G 

And there is an amazing video I have to post but I have to figure out how lol, will say though it has officially moved under its own power as a MT for the first time in its life!!!!'

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
8/16/21 4:39 p.m.

Super long time no update, well let's get in to it, here is the beverage holder, works extremely well and is the old airbag controller box, roll of duct tape and masking tape glued together and all held in with nail glue and duct tape.

The day has came where the donor chassis met its maker, it donated 90% of itself to make the 2door live so I can't be mad at it, so long piggy!!

After the start up and initial drive there was a fairly good leak that appeared from the bell housing area, so after many beers and a week or 2 of not looking at the car I ended up pulling the transmission back out and in subarus infinite glory with an 02 3.90 you HAVE to split the case to replace a $20 input seal, on the plus side everything looks good inside of it so that's cool.

^^berkeleying this......

First start and manual transmission test (again FML) but after this it is time to gooooooooo!!!!!!!!

To the first adventure, driving 3hrs away to do a 2day rallycross on a car I put less than 50miles on.

For those in the mid Atlantic region 10000% go to any panthera event, was my first event here and fell back in love with rallycross!!

Now keep in mind this was a year ago now but video editing and driver have been improving over the past season, super excited to be going back to this site.

More to cover up to now in a bit, even a wild Josh driving an AWD car??

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
ow7HMJfb5n6VCr9lXNc3v9KkNuGL5KZ5bunINvGo0zoGV9ac3NQ8qNMPExderX98