1 2
Ben
Ben New Reader
10/9/13 3:59 p.m.

I assume you're going with the race version, as the sport version is not eligible for SCCA Hillclimb due to lack of full cage. Which is too bad, it's a safer setup than a stock Miata, which is eligible under some of the autocross classes. Boo.

Adding trailer towing capability doesn't look like it will be difficult. I'm using Curt p/n 49512, which is a weld-on class II receiver tube and p/n 49950, which is the loop for the safety chains. I'll add the trailer wiring hook up when I'm building out the harness, no big deal and you can get the plugs at etrailer or walmart or wherever.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cht-49512 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cht-49950

The only real challenge I'm seeing is an exhaust intended for Miata fitment won't work. I'll build a different exhaust, or ask Jason from Enthuza for help maybe. He's been good to me in the past.

I have the Exocet chassis mocked up on some spare subframes (my 01 donor car is still intact). I've not tried, and am not going to try, to fit the original fuel tank with the weld on receiver. I assume it will still work as the tank can't hang below the subframe. I have a 10 gallon RCI cell instead. It leaves enough room to put a battery box on one side of the cell, and something... else... on the other side. Today I acquired that something else. I won't tell you what it is, but will give you a hint. It's spelled: NOS.

Where are you located? Maybe I can borrow your steam cleaner. ;)

HoserRacing
HoserRacing Reader
10/9/13 8:35 p.m.

Nope, going with the sport version. In the SU class that SEDIV runs, street legal cars only require a rollbar. I'd like to check out how everything looks on your mock-up, see how the receiver fits & interacts with the other stuff. I'm in Chatsworth, GA, just at the base of Fort Mountain if you ever come up to play. Yes, I'd be willing to trade steam cleaner usage for building help Also like to see what you're doing with the megasquirt on your car & see what results you're getting

Ben
Ben New Reader
10/10/13 7:48 a.m.

My understanding was that the Sport was eligible for TT Level III (track trial), but not TT Level IV (hillclimb).

I'll be posting an update / build thread once I'm a little further along. There are a couple of projects wrapping up at the shop that I am going to let finish and clear out before I get rocking.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing Reader
10/10/13 8:14 a.m.

Hmm, I'll double check on that. As soon as I have an answer, I'll get back with you.

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota Reader
10/12/13 7:18 p.m.

Hehe he said homo and miata in the same thread

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
11/7/13 3:41 a.m.

I revise my previous statement!

I'm guessing the r-comps wiggled these guys loose. Kevin pressed these in carefully. Yup, definitely weld them.

I would keep the stock units and just paint them gloss black. You can't tell the difference between gloss black paint and gloss black powdercoat, visually at least.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing Reader
11/7/13 8:58 p.m.

Dang Hatet to see that. Ok, sticking with stock :) Ended up changing my order to the Race version, just heard back from Kevin and I can get the new body work Y'all just don't know how psyched I am about this. I've got to get with DIY & see about the harness they're doing for the VVT motors. I volunteer with a Christmas charity & been too busy trying to get prepped for doing toys for 600 kids this Christmas to do too much on stripping the donor, hope to start on it over Thanksgiving.

chpmnsws6
chpmnsws6 New Reader
11/12/13 11:48 a.m.
HoserRacing wrote: Dang Hatet to see that. Ok, sticking with stock :) Ended up changing my order to the Race version, just heard back from Kevin and I can get the new body work Y'all just don't know how psyched I am about this. I've got to get with DIY & see about the harness they're doing for the VVT motors. I volunteer with a Christmas charity & been too busy trying to get prepped for doing toys for 600 kids this Christmas to do too much on stripping the donor, hope to start on it over Thanksgiving.

You'll still want to tack the stock ones in. I had an OEM unit come out. I ended up pitching my V8R units after over tightening and a few other reasons (none V8R's fault though) and buying a new set of OEM units.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wdJdlcgNgaQxMZtL706EQkeHcuEfI173bv68sNNQ5dSiYpV2xmILZsm7Zfy2QpNx