donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/5/22 1:06 a.m.

so it's been about 16 or 17 years I think since I owned my last mr2... now that my last kid is soon to be out of HS I can justify something like this...

anyway a friend contacted me a few weeks ago, his son picked up an mr2 a few years ago and i'd given them some help and info on some issues with it for a while but it always had something not right with it so it kept it as a project car and picked up a daily driver.  He's now off at college and the family is selling their house and needed it gone... so the price was right.

I rode the motorcyle over to get it and called AAA to tow it home....

some very minor rust, a good bit of the interior is pulled apart or broken, the windshield and sunroof is cracked, the top end of the engine was removed and in the trunk, the oil pan is sitting in a tub in the passenger seat and I found a set of new rings in the box also so it looks like he was planning on doing an in car rebuild or something like that.

on the plus side I found a nice 4-2-1 header pretty sure its a KHS unit and some prothane urithane bushings... I haven't done a deep inventory yet.

I haven't decided what to do with it yet... when I got it I knew the top end was apart but not much else so I'd planned on just getting it back together and drive it but I'm not sure that is the best option right now.  The next natrual thought was a smallport engine but those seem to not exist in the import market anymore... it was the budget upgrade path when I was into mr2s in the past... but I suppose now that it's been 30 years since they where made they aren't a real option... 20v engines are stupidly priced now... talking to an old mr2 buddy it sounds like toyota v6 engines is the new hotness (mk1.5 with the 3sgte was just taking of as a popular option when I sold mine)... I've wanted to do a GRM challenge car since about 2002 so maybe this is the car for it? who knows... but for now I want to get it going and teach my son to drive a stick shift haha.

so here is what we've got to work with right now lol...

Mrfurzzy
Mrfurzzy New Reader
10/5/22 6:15 a.m.

Pictures aren't working for me. Congrats on the MR2! I'm finally getting back into my MR2 project. Hopefully will have it running in the next week. I unfortunately just sold the sunroof from my parts car otherwise I would have given you a great deal on it :/

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/5/22 6:22 a.m.

Im happy you're back!

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/5/22 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Mrfurzzy :

thanks I'll get that fixedlater tonight or something haha.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/5/22 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Same here.  It's been a while.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
10/5/22 11:04 p.m.

Yes! The 1st gen body style....V6 Camry swap?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/20/22 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Agent98 :

camry swap is being researched... I'd like to get it running/driving first but after looking at how torn down the engine is I'm not sure that is going to happen without a swap... 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/20/22 5:40 p.m.

Was hoping SW content :(

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
10/20/22 9:25 p.m.

...and some of us look forward to AW11 content:)  All three generations are great!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
irZ5wupEXSGZMm8ZFlqvoijfVEnR7hw88WZualcKaLtyud6TrH0tHxlEEvkUsLc2