1 2 3
Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/12/18 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Oh, I know. I went through one some time ago for a customer. 

They're actually the same basic chassis as the 1st gen Mustang, just a little longer.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/28/18 7:57 a.m.

Fabrication is complete. The chassis is headed off to paint today. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
3/28/18 8:22 a.m.

Awesome project, looking forward to further updates!

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/28/18 7:38 p.m.

While the Falcon is off for paint, he rolled in another of his cars for some TLC. This one was built 20 years ago and never put on the road. He's been making noise about selling it. It's a really nice looking setup. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/28/18 8:03 p.m.

That's rad!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
3/28/18 9:15 p.m.

That's beautiful.  I love it.  

grover
grover Reader
3/28/18 9:46 p.m.

what a beauty

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/29/18 1:15 a.m.

Am I the only person here who thinks this guy is delusional, or outright lying? 

With that kind of quality, he's obviously got the bug, there's no chance he can stop for long. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/29/18 6:42 a.m.
Crackers said:

Am I the only person here who thinks this guy is delusional, or outright lying? 

With that kind of quality, he's obviously got the bug, there's no chance he can stop for long. 

He's 79. He's had some medical issues over the last year. He's afraid he's going to kick off before the Falcon is done. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/29/18 8:41 a.m.

Ugh, that sucks. 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
3/29/18 9:30 a.m.

You've posted that green car before - didn't know it was the same guy (but probably should have guessed).

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/29/18 10:26 a.m.

That looks to be a aluminum body on the green car. Very well done.

Is it an original or meant as a tribute car to something?

Pete

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/29/18 10:34 a.m.

Wow that is a awesome landlord! Love the falcon.....

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
3/29/18 3:02 p.m.

Looks like an Aston Martin DBR1 tribute to me.  

Im only 62 but I think my Cheetah inspired build will be my last.  I've had and continue to have serious health issues.  The mind is willing. The body not so much. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/29/18 4:43 p.m.
NOHOME said:

That looks to be a aluminum body on the green car. Very well done.

Is it an original or meant as a tribute car to something?

Pete

It is a hand formed aluminum body. 

I'm pretty sure it's a one of a kind custom build from top to bottom. 

Jim's been building cars and motorcycles for a long long time. 

This is another of his creations. 

Link for the interested.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/6/18 6:20 p.m.

Some info on the green machine. 

"Yep. All aluminum. First issue, '59, cut down '48 Ford chassis, fiberglass body, flathead. So bad an execution a gallon of gas and burned to ground. Thank goodness no pics.
Fast forward and in '94 we celebrated Mary's birthday in England.
Ran into guys who had just completed a Lotus 11 body. Simply orgasmic.
Permission was granted from the boss and design began. Mary designed the body and shape. (Whole nother story). Contacted the Lotus body guys and they proceeded.
I then built a 5' x 20' full scale drawing board to loft the body, chassis and drivetrain.
6 months later (with lots of consternations-fax and phone only!) we merged the body and a running chassis. 
Another 6 months she was painted, titled, and terrorizing the back roads. [Lt1-L99, six speed, 9", minimal stuff, 1900lbs].
In short form there ya have it.
The name-Aquila-latin for "eagle". I have always collected eagle memoribilia, loved Dan Gurney, etc., etc."

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/7/19 6:41 p.m.

Long time since this was updated. It spent a considerable amount of time in the paint shop due to health issues that the painter had. He's not much younger than the builder. A large amount of the assembly is done. 

First runs are going to be with a fairly stock manifold and carb. 

Should be running in the next month or so and will be making it's debut at Roebling Road in Savannah, GA. 

Hard as it is to imagine, while the Falcon was stuck at the paint shop, Jim needed a project to keep the gears turning. Enter...

While at a show, he talked to the guy that is remaking these. Ardun heads for the flat head Ford. The bug bit again. 

He does seem to have a thing for quick change rear axles. 

Jim (center) has been building cars for a long time and is very good at it. Shooting the breeze with him costs me on average, an hour a week. It's an hour I pay gladly. 

I always feel a little self conscious shooting pictures in his shop, but I'll try post more updates as things happen. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/7/19 6:44 p.m.

He says the shop will be shut down by mid September and he will be out of the building business. That will be a sad day for the automotive world. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
3/7/19 7:23 p.m.

What an incredibly cool car. And based on that and your words, what a cool builder.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
3/7/19 9:32 p.m.

I see a GRM article there before he closes his doors

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/27/19 10:00 a.m.

Slow but steady progress is being made. This thing is going to be wicked on the track. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/27/19 12:19 p.m.

Frickin' sweet!

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
9/27/19 12:44 p.m.

DOOD!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
9/27/19 12:49 p.m.

That is a pleasing sound!

Still slowly making progress on this. 

It is moving under it's own power now. This is the second drive. All the mechanical work is done. Just needs to be buttoned up. With no events to speak of this year, it's been on the back burner.

One of the reasons it's not done is he got sidetracked on this project.

This is the first drive on this one. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C3lsTaUNIEQVf772ZsSNoU5kQSmkDbaXMgZGHdgmQmSmXClbHVymIrOjkpnbJ8yS