1 2 3
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/27/14 8:14 p.m.

I removed the pedals and master cylinder brackets tonight. I am assuming that the bracket area has been modified and that the metal on the body was bent to make room for a different brake master cylinder.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Dork
8/28/14 3:45 p.m.

Do you have some sort of attachment to this car?

The reason I ask is because it seems like a ton of work. You are rebuilding the engine. Rebuilding the suspension. Rebuilding the chassis. Rebuilding the body.

Why not just start with a different car?

I understand that the build can be more fun than any other part, this one just seems a bit scary!

Good Luck!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/28/14 6:50 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Well I like the early Spitfires the best and I got this one for free. It has racing history. And any Spitfire would end up getting torn down to this level any way. The suspension and a lot of other components just aren't strong enough for racing in a Spitfire so any of them would end up a bare frame .

Admitted the body is really bad but hopefully I can find a parts car with a better one.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
8/28/14 7:47 p.m.

Doesn't look much worse than the TR4 I started with. I've made 70 some odd patch panels and took it down to a bare frame for a vintage racer build. I did all the body and rocker patching/replacing before I pulled the body off the frame. Can almost see light at the end of the tunnel.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
8/28/14 8:41 p.m.

Seeing this thread again makes me glad I'm starting my TR6 with very little rust. OTOH, I'm in about the same place in terms of being stripped down to a bare frame. If you replace the sills on your existing tub, listen to what others have said about bracing the door beams and tacking both sides carefully. I did one side at a time once, and even with bracing and the tub bolted to the frame, it ended up a bit off. If you can find a better tub, it would save a bunch of frustration.

Cool project.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/2/14 10:03 a.m.

Removed the steering rack, steering column, two of the front lower A-arm mounts and the upper a-arm/ shock mounts.  More evidence of racing lots of shims on the A-arms.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/15/14 8:28 p.m.

Let the painting begin.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/15/14 9:00 p.m.

Hmm... first time I'm noticing this... why was the frame cut? Wouldn't that add flex to the chassis?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/16/14 4:50 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Hmm... first time I'm noticing this... why was the frame cut? Wouldn't that add flex to the chassis?

I have absolutely no idea but I guess I haven't even looked at the frame of a stock one. Cause I didn't notice....

I really need to find a parts car...

Does that cross member just bolt on or is it welded? Victoria British sells the crossmember by it's self.

68TR250
68TR250 New Reader
10/16/14 5:16 p.m.

Hey 93, Have you checked with Matthews in B'ham for a body? There also to used to Merrill's on HWY 278 in Piedmont, AL....might be worth a call.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/16/14 8:32 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Welded on my cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YowXYmZOElQeWz79KVlu3ZHmd6Ke5hvhi5yURlRQnS9CPTMh05wRHsepcrYXxZXk