Sent you the video to email

petey
petey New Reader
11/22/20 9:20 p.m.

mine turned out great.the bubbas loved it

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX New Reader
11/24/20 9:29 p.m.

Sounds healthy! How was the oil pressure?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/24/20 11:28 p.m.

In reply to OneSickGNX :

60 psi. laugh

Good start.

Timing is a bit tricky because of course custom alloy pulley with no marks on it. Cant TDC a flathead cause the plug hole opens to the valves, not the piston,

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/30/20 11:01 a.m.

One of the drawbacks to having a cool old school engine like the flathead,is that it was never meant to have the ability to drive a bunch of new. That means that if the owner want AC AND PS, then one of the two has to become divorced from the belt drive.

The plan is to go with electric power steering from a Volvo. This is not a novel idea on my part as it has been done by many hot rodders. The system is compact and self contained with its own reservoir. Lots of Youtube info if inteested

What I did not find on Youtube was any tips on how to hook up the high pressure hydraulic hose. Chances are the factory hydraulic line will not work for a given application.

What I found that opens up routing options is a metric PS-6 AN fitting. Much easier to fid than I anticipated.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/2/20 10:59 a.m.

Moving along...

The remainder of the panels are out at the bodyshop getting painted. So that should be back in a few weeks.

The truck is running and the AOD seems to be reporting for duty after 6 liters of fluid were added.

On to the interior.

The windshield is in. Always a bit nerve wracking to rope these in.

Gauges are all in and proven to be working. Sorry about the E36 M3tly light in the shop.

Sound system is actually quite good. Tried it with and without the amp and the owner likes it better without the amp driving the boom box.

And what is it with the quality of all re[po interior bits that they dont fit worth a damn?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/6/20 7:14 p.m.

As much as there has been a lot of work done, the view never seems to change since so much has been redoing stuff that was already done.

Today felt good because when we finished the day this was the view on the way out; fitted and bolted down to stay.

solfly
solfly Dork
12/9/20 6:28 a.m.

looks great

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/10/20 11:01 a.m.

The power steering is in place; function TBD but mounting complete.

Originally thought to mount it up high for access

Common sense and threats from the other Pete's dictated that I move it lower. So I did. Same location just under frame mount. Proceeded to make a Binky worthy flat mount from 2" 3/16 thick angle iron.

It now hides down in the corner and does not clash as much with the Flathead technology. Might paint i black in an effor to make it even less visible.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/23/20 8:58 a.m.

Buttoned up the interior last night. About as far as we can go until the remaining body panels getting painted black arrive from paint; probably not until the second week of Jan. Will have to wait and see what this latest Province-wide Covid lockdown does to thet schedule. Unfortunately the glovebox lid is amongst the parts to be painted.

Point to note:

The LMC car[et is such a phenomenal piece of junk that it would not fit on a flat floor. Seriously.

The complementary news is that the kit to cover the rear of the cab is equally if not more crapazoid.

So the piece of carpet that is meant to go under the seat is on the back panel covering the crappy cardboard part that LMC sells. There is no carpet under the seat because it did not fit and who needs carpet under the seat anyways! So alls well that ends well. I like the tan back wall better than black anyways.

At the moment, the truck is an amazing Jukebox. While the amp was deemed to be too much (by the owner) the big boom box and the rest of the speakers do fill the cab with good noises.

It looks like there's carpet under the seat.

What I mean to say is it looks great! No shocker there, though.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
12/23/20 1:07 p.m.

I like that.  Very classy looking.

java230
java230 UberDork
12/23/20 1:35 p.m.

Coming together nicely :D

Shavarsh
Shavarsh New Reader
12/23/20 1:41 p.m.

Great information on the power steering fitting, going to file that one away.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/23/20 9:02 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

That is because I did not have sand this one! Get back to work!!!!

java230
java230 UberDork
12/24/20 9:39 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Yeah Yeah Yeah..... I need to.... 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/5/21 4:46 p.m.

Waiting on body panels to come back from the body shop some time around middle of Jan. Hopefully Jan 2021...we all know what paint jail is like!

The missing panels will all be gloss black.

With not much left to do until the panels arrive and desperate to make something look different, went ahead and painted the side sof the box with bedliner. The same will be done to the underside of the fenders when they arrive.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/6/21 4:03 p.m.

Parking this image here for future reference.

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX New Reader
1/7/21 9:14 p.m.

Coming along very nicely. Sorry to hear about paint jail although it comes with the territory. Hopefully you'll get the panels back soon.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/7/21 9:28 p.m.

In reply to OneSickGNX :

Was going to be today but now "A couple of weeks"

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/11/21 9:56 a.m.

One of the Petes ( Re-Pete) has been designing and making a luggage storage box for the truck bed. The idea is that it should keep stuff safe and dry and be removable. Made from  solid ash ( same material as the bed). 

Need to devise a method of securing the box such that it does not slide around, but at the same time is easy to release so the box can be removed if need be. also need to make it such that whatever method we decide on, it does not involve removing the bed and box. The aftermarket wood kit makes that a PITA compared to the factory six bolts.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
1/11/21 10:24 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

How about just a leather strap like they used to use for old car hoods?  Or latches like for a jeep hood?

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
1/11/21 10:50 a.m.
NOHOME said:

At least that is what I am calling it since it came from Idaho all the way to Southern Ontario. 

Spuds is a Garage Guest who needs to get done by the time the snow melts in 2021. Project creep and do-overs could conspire against that, well see.

For now I will just do a picture dump and update as work starts

Sweet!!  I'm so happy to see a cool old Ford hot Rod that hasn't fallen victim to the "Put a SBC in it" curse!!! (I really hate that)   Major win!!  Can't wait to see the end-result!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/11/21 11:52 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'd be looking at the anchor system for a flip-up / pull-out 2nd row seat like in a Honda Odyssey.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m2decOr9uGCoYQ8Ls134qT1YcYHSEubKRQZ8aJVEMkhvt2xlVnQHQWJFhnI29tJt