9 10 11
03Panther
03Panther New Reader
11/28/19 10:11 p.m.

Yep. I'm sure the front wheels never left the ground, but it sure felt like it!!!! No ac,so with the windows down I saw the headlight trim on drivers side flying; later I found it on passenger side of seat... Apparently when it was passing my window, I was busy white knuckling the wheel, and didn't notice it passing BEHIND my head to get there!!!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
11/29/19 7:46 a.m.
Stampie said:

And in

Stampie, I hate to be THAT GUY, but please be careful.  I do not like the looks at all of this photo.  

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/1/20 2:01 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Sorry I must have missed your post with Thanksgiving. That photo perspective is misleading. He was below trans level and was more in danger of the impact falling on top of him than the engine. 

Today was all about a quarter inch.  Here's how the distributor ended up after we got the engine in. 

We loosened up all the motor mounts and trans mounts and hooked the hoist so it would pull the engine forward. This shows where the mounts were and where we ended up.

And we have success.

Good thing we replaced the cap. Looks like someone pushed my button to the limit.

And new cap on just in time to go see Star Wars. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/13/20 5:01 p.m.

We decided to gather up all the core parts so I could return them but first we installed the hood because everyone knows once you put the hood back on you're close to the finish.

While we were in there I decided to put the crank pulley on. 

I'll need to retorque it because the torque converter isn't hooked up yet so the engine spun pretty easy. Yes the last person to do the water pump believed in RTVing the hell out of it. 

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
1/15/20 3:06 a.m.

This is so cool.

That's all.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/15/20 6:34 a.m.

In reply to Georges1991 :

Thanks.  I was just thinking the other day about why I was putting so much effort into a vehicle I bought for parts but it comes down to yeah it's a cool truck. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/17/20 5:15 p.m.

I'm having bolt issues. I didn't put it in this thread but last week I grabbed a serpentine setup from a 96 Suburban 454. I ended up cutting the stud on the drivers side head to get it out.   Here's the junkyard 454 engine.

I went back this morning and grabbed the cut off stud so that I could match it up.  After I left the yard I realized I had my E sockets in the truck and could have grabbed the passenger side stud as well. 

After lunch I had some time so I went to a different junkyard that was close by. My theory was a similar year SBC probably used a similar stud. I already knew the 454 used an E10 socket so I went in with just a socket and ratchet.

Looked under the hood of a 98 Tahoe and see this.

Grabbed it and looked under some other Vortec hoods until I found a second one. Thought I was good to go until I compared then to the cut off 454 stud and realized they were different sizes. 

Here's what I have.

Top is the cut off stud. It's 7/16 14.  Middle is one of the other two bolts per side from the 96 454.  It's 3/8 16.  Bottom is the SBC stud I got today. It's 3/8 16.

Thinking that the BBC were all 7/16 I grabbed a stud from Ace Hardware on the way home.  Once I got home I found that my 86 454 is different in a strange way.

Driver's head is all 3/8ths.  Passenger side head right (stud location) is 7/16.  The lowest hole on that side is also 7/16 but the other hole is 3/8th. What confuses me is the two heads are different. Maybe that's the way they are. I think I'm going back to the 96 454 and grabbing the stud I didn't cut and that'll leave me with just having to buy a 7/16 bolt for the lower passenger hole. 

Are you now as confused as I am?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/17/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yes.

What a cluster berkeley

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/17/20 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Oh and I forgot to add that we go to the GMC dealer to get a new stud like the 96. Dude says it'll be two days and then said it's $35 per stud. Berk that. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/17/20 5:42 p.m.

Allthread.

Use allthread.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/17/20 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It's not factory man!  I know that's the easy button but I get hung up on stupid stuff like this. 

9 10 11
Our Preferred Partners
g3kY6KrHDdzerMdXTxB5tssLzWld5WUYzRNWLzCmM7oVThPIXDLJoxtrQu8mtCuo