1 2 3 4 5
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/15/23 2:51 p.m.

For you folks that haven't been to a farm or ranch, Stampie's got 6.60 football fields to play with.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/15/23 2:55 p.m.
dyintorace said:
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to 914Driver :

If you thought Stampie was an expert at hoarding projects before... 8 acres of E36 M3 boxes is going to be epic! 

His neighbor directly to the north has already gone down that path! Something tells me they're going to get along real well! :D

If he gets along well with that neighbor, they can sit on each side of road drinking beers and make fun of the attendees of the wedding venue at the end of the road.  devil

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
3/15/23 5:18 p.m.

Awesome! I love it when a deal comes together. Now to get started on Stampie's Project Emporium and Nature Preserve.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/15/23 5:45 p.m.
jgrewe said:

Awesome! I love it when a deal comes together. Now to get started on Stampie's Project Emporium and Nature Preserve.

Yep!

In the nature preserve, he can save pintos, mustangs, barracuda, thunderbird, eagles, cougars, bobcats, bluebirds, Phoenix, etc...

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/15/23 5:59 p.m.

I ran around town getting stuff for my camp out tonight. Once I got back there were a few things I wanted to do. First the ditch wasn't draining right near where I planned to drive in. Little bit of shovel work and it's much better. 

At some point someone put some kind of bench thingy near the NW corner of the lot. I ripped it out.

After that I did a trash detail and filled a bag. Found where some stuff was thrown in the NE corner. It's a little deep in the woods so I'll finish it later. 

At that point I decided to reward myself with a beer. Dyintorace hooked me up with a great local grocery store so I grabbed some chorizo and asparagus for dinner. The two pictures above took about 10 minutes to upload so I doubt you'll see dinner pictures tonight. It was better when I stood on the Suburban's bumper so I have a feeling I'll be putting a cell phone in a tree as a hotspot. Maybe later I'll type out the whole story about buying this place since that won't take any pictures. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/15/23 6:12 p.m.

So when can I come visit? I've got a tent!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/15/23 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Come on. You're pretty safe right now cause it's too overgrown for me to walk around naked. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
3/15/23 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Do you want ticks? Cause thats how you get ticks.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
3/15/23 6:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Come on. You're pretty safe right now cause it's too overgrown for me to walk around naked. 

You have to at least walk around and pee in various places so the critters know there is a new sheriff in town.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
3/15/23 7:13 p.m.

A 20 foot storage container?  Why go there when they sell 40 footers, and two of them spaced far enough apart become the base for one of these?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/15/23 7:52 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

You think that hasn't happen yet?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/15/23 7:53 p.m.

In reply to travellering :

That's cool. Got a link?

travellering
travellering HalfDork
3/15/23 8:16 p.m.

That one is Clearspan brand , but I think there are others available as well.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
3/15/23 8:19 p.m.
Asas_Dad
Asas_Dad New Reader
3/15/23 9:51 p.m.

I guess the first discussion is going to be the temp living quarters.  I hear what you guys are saying and am pondering.  I'm not so sure about a container.  First it would be as much work to insulate it as building what I was thinking.  Second I worry about getting rid of it once I'm done.  Buying an RV makes sense.

I suggested one because:

• Instant storage - you don't have to build anything.  You ought to be able to find decent ones in Jax for cheaper than here.
  • It's steel, more secure than a wooden structure.  And only someone with a roll-back is going to haul it off; the tare weight on my 20 footer is just under 5,000 lbs (empty).
  • You don't insulate it; you pay some company that sprays in 2" of expanding foam.  Mine cost me $800 for that, makes a BIG difference.  But if you're going to want to wire it in the future, you need to weld in the light  and conduit hangers before the foam.  And I've made provision to install a window AC in the end wall, just to keep things dry.

One drawback is that these days any kid with a cordless drill and cutoff wheel can cut your locks.  But that would apply to everything.  I would park it so the doors are in view of your neighbor the deputy.

Why would you get rid of it?  We all need storage, and more of it.  I like that Steelmaster option - but it would cost more than my house.

OR - buy an enclosed work trailer like we put the lathe in in Inverness, tow it and your tools with you every trip, leave nothing there to be stolen.  You could even put a cot in there, screen the doors, get one of those super-quiet Honda or Ryobi generators for lights and for your tools.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/15/23 10:05 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Stampie :

Do you want ticks? Cause thats how you get ticks.

Don't worry, myself or dusterbd will check him out if necessary.  That's what bros are for.

Oh, E36 M3.  You got one on your butt....  no wait, that's just a mole.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
3/16/23 12:14 a.m.
Stampie said:

At some point someone put some kind of bench thingy near the NW corner of the lot. I ripped it out.

My bet is on an old hunting blind, especially if there are firing lanes cut out from it.
Oh, and about that boar? I know a guy that's good at turning them into BBQ (It's me).

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/16/23 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Could be. It was in a place that you'd have good fire lines on most of the property of it was cleared. It's been cleared in the past so maybe. 

First I'm downtown so I have internet for pictures. Here's dinner. 

Don't know if this will work but here's the night sky around 9pm. No light pollution. 

It got cold last night. I woke up in the middle of the night and put on my socks. This morning there was a little ice on the Suburban. Now I don't expect that often but last night was pushing camping in the Suburban. 

Dyintorace met me for breakfast then I went over to his house to check out projects. Heading back to do a couple of things then back to Jacksonville. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
3/16/23 11:35 a.m.

This is awesome.  So stoked for you Stamps!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
3/16/23 11:48 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/23 11:57 a.m.

that's a good-looking sausage!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/16/23 12:05 p.m.

^ no homo, right???

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
3/16/23 12:21 p.m.

On the subject of generator, if you are buying one, get a dual fuel that runs on propane.  So much cleaner/longer run time/cheaper than gasoline!  I bought a Duromax and I love it.

Great property, congratulations!!

On the subject of living quarters, single-wide mobile homes are often insanely cheap too.  Park it on cinder blocks (as they do in mobile home parks) and throw on some skirts to keep critters out of the underside (for the most part).  Lots of room for storage or this plus a shipping container really gets you in business cheap.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
3/16/23 12:28 p.m.

Great to see you this morning! The first of many get togethers. :)

Asas_Dad
Asas_Dad New Reader
3/16/23 6:41 p.m.

You have to at least walk around and pee in various places so the critters know there is a new sheriff in town.

I've done that, wild critters pay it no attention.  You can do it to teach your dog the boundaries of your property, but since a single acre is 209 ft. on a side, you'll  need to be full of piss...

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oK8zAkkHMVN2hUVT7ZOMpUagWIIkPrvG8n7HhkwcF1GO1eBIR2kihyxlTdnywGTZ