Project_Brumble
Project_Brumble
4/30/20 5:13 a.m.

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and just starting the build I have been dreaming about for the last 4 years at University.

Currently I have done most of the work on CAD but now I am getting into the actual building it is time to seek help from people who have done this before!

Here are some pics of what I have so far (CAD). I have built a jig table for the chassis and have the engine. Now I need to get a hold of a donor body and start building!

The first question I have is regarding max operating angles for CV joints. I want to put the engine as far forward as possible, but this is restricted by the max angle that the drive axles (rear) can operate. Is it possible to shift the engine and gearbox forward and run the drive axles at an angle when viewed from above? Or is it best to accept the position of the engine and avoid any issues this will give me?

Stay tuned as the build continues!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/30/20 6:09 a.m.

Oh this is going to be so cool.

What type of CV joints are you using?  It may take some digging, but I bet there is a maximum operating angle listed somewhere for them, or you can get close with the specs of a similar design.

For example, chosen at random, if you scroll down on this page for an RCV Series 30 joint you'll see a maximum angle of 28 degrees, so you would need to stay short of that and make sure the plunge is in range throughout your suspension travel.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UltraDork
4/30/20 6:11 a.m.

Most excellent project. I have always had a soft spot for the Brumpy (Brat here in USA). 

I'd say accept where correct axle angles place the engine. Keep It Simple Stupidsmiley. To my eye, not tape measure, the front of the engine will be very near the stock rear bulkhead this way anyway, and your f/r balance will be great.  I just learned that  the EZ30 is a  Subaru flat 6, which reinforces my opinion.

Welcome to the forum.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/30/20 1:59 p.m.

AWESOME

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/30/20 2:15 p.m.

Subscribed to your newsletter.

what kind of a pace are you planing on for the build? Do you have the tools and fab skills or are they "Just in time delivered"?

Did you do FEA on the chassis? It looks stiff. The lower B pillar detail is a bit confusing from this angle.

Had no idea what a "Brumpy" was until pointed out that it was a Subaru Brat. Guess the neat rear seats are out of the picture!

I am going to guess that  lot of what you are going to do will follow the FFR 818 when it comes to locating the drivetrain and its components. The wheelbases are almost exactly the same. 96 for the 818 and 96.7 for the Brumby.

Project_Brumble
Project_Brumble New Reader
4/30/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I'm using Legacy axles at this point, but there's a few axles that fit the 6MT I'm using. I have found a thread on the max operating angle for Subaru axles but will have to track it down again!

Project_Brumble
4/30/20 4:13 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Yea I have actually daily driven one for the last few years! It has served me well and just clicked over 275,000kms without missing a beat.

I may have just been overcomplicating it, I did some tests with varying axle angles and it barely shifts the engine. I think keeping it simple stupid is the way to go!

Project_Brumble
4/30/20 4:21 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'm hoping for a relatively quick pace, but that will include many steep learning curves. I have done a bit of fab work before but nothing to this extent and will definetely be drawing on friends and colleagues for a lot of skills and tips!

I have run some basic FEA and yes, it is very stiff! I am also attempting to get it road legal (Quite difficult in NZ) so the design has to be deemed acceptable to a board of experienced certifiers who recommended I stiffen the chassis after my first iteration of the design.

The main drivetrain will be based on the FFR818, but instead of using Subaru suspension I am doing my own double a-arm design (just something I've always wanted to do). It won't help the build time though...

Project_Brumble
4/30/20 4:24 p.m.

A couple more photos of the next stage:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Pgf0nKfrs98GlZsx6NREZHeYyB63GIfDdokVB7kVzXx7AUWGg0vyzGSxPXTrogf