3 4 5 6 7
Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/8/20 8:47 p.m.

Looking good, LC!!!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/23/20 9:05 p.m.

I started to patch the cowl and realized it needed too much so I have ordered another one. In the meantime, I had the floor back in and lined up pretty well. It took many hours of fiddling but it was all lining up pretty good. Then I realized that to install some front pieces, the whole floor had to be removed. Dammit!!! Now the pieces are installed and I welded in new kick panels and now the floor is back in and I'm trying to get everything lined up again.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
1/23/20 9:47 p.m.

This is epic!

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
1/24/20 2:45 a.m.

EXCELLENT work!!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/25/20 6:37 p.m.

I usually post before and after pics but this time I'm going to share the current pictures of areas that have me discouraged. I WILL fix them but damn, it's going to take work. These are behind the drivers side black panel

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
1/26/20 2:01 p.m.

You've got this. One piece at a time.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/31/20 7:29 p.m.

Big week for getting rusty metal replaced. I also removed the damaged plywood floor in the back

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/3/20 10:09 p.m.

I removed the middle floor and sent it out for media blasting, should be easier to patch now

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
2/3/20 10:27 p.m.

Now would be the time to mini-tub the rear for larger tires.  Not that skinny tires are the "bomb" in the snow, but some wider rubber would look great on this when it done.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/4/20 10:19 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

On these trucks, they look better when you push the tire width out, not in. If it was 2wd and I was slamming it, tubs would be awesome but in 4wd, stock wheel wells are plenty big

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/6/20 5:57 p.m.

It took 6 hours of work just to fix that darn hole. There were multiple layers of sheet metal that had to be recreated from raw sheet metal. This is the corner behind the rear seat on the drivers side. You can see it after sandblasting in the previous post.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/6/20 7:09 p.m.

Holy carp that impressive swiss cheese repair.  

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/6/20 7:18 p.m.
84FSP said:

Holy carp that impressive swiss cheese repair.  

Thanks. I did not sign up for this level of repair and it's far worse than anticipated but when you're past the point of no return, your only choice is to keep swimming or drown

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
2/6/20 7:24 p.m.

You are doing excellent work.  Keep it up!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/10/20 7:38 p.m.

Continued the process of cutting away bad metal and replacing with good. It's not getting easier but I am feeling less overwhelmed because my confidence in my abilities is getting better. Spent today just getting these 3 sections of panels to fit close to correctly.

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
2/11/20 5:04 p.m.

What I learned at a young age is body work is simply "bend to fit, paint to match".

After watching nohome , you and others tackle the various sheet metal challenges, I think it's a bit more involved that the above statement...

Keep it up.  You are learning tons in the process.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/15/20 6:37 p.m.

There is a crossmember under the rear barn doors that is all rusted away. I couldn't find a rust free one so I am building a new one out of 2x5 tube, some 14 gauge sheet metal and bits of the old one. Here is the crossmember and the tube before work has begun

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/16/20 6:41 p.m.

Suburbans did not come with the fancy wood slat beds that you could get in the pickup trucks. Suburbans had plywood floors but I don't want to put one back in so I ordered a high end oak slat floor and polished stainless steel straps and fasteners. The kit arrived today and I'll have to make it fit a vehicle it was not designed for.

Eurotrash_Ranch
Eurotrash_Ranch New Reader
2/16/20 7:07 p.m.

That's going to look really good.

Source: Am Suburban lover

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
2/17/20 8:17 a.m.

oh man, that is going to be AWESOME. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/17/20 6:01 p.m.

It took 4 hours but I cut the crappy old upper cowl out and here is the new one test fitted but not yet welded. I also picked up a spot welder to make that process easier.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/17/20 7:02 p.m.

Dude, you are doing phenomenal work!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/17/20 7:14 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Dude, you are doing phenomenal work!

Thanks, I'm taking my time and using every skill I have to do this

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
2/17/20 9:28 p.m.

LooseC....this is truly an acknowledgement,of all those that have gone before you and decided to tackle/conquer  the 'rusted past'. Thank you for your effort......cuz what else would you be doin' .....shoveling the sidewalk???

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/21/20 11:44 a.m.

Ok, the new cowl,firewall and both front rocker panels are welded in. I'm really cooking now!!

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BEEiohqb8K37epclS0UY93CDgZR7V7pCPErjuOu2Zh5w8QoVri25HExkJ1oimUA7