1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
4/3/20 6:45 p.m.

In reply to jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks man, I was really happy with these when I made em but I think I need to revisit them and see if there is a slightly better way to mount em

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/30/20 2:39 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

About now I started to work on teaching myself casting, I started to work on a twin Weber 2bbl conversion

A lot of pictures for that, so I'm going to just leave the album here.  That pretty much brings us up to today

https://imgur.com/a/JgHx3

Still a work in progress.

Needs a lot of tweaking, possibly another print to dial in the middle linkage, but...

solfly
solfly Dork
9/30/20 3:09 p.m.

posting so I can come back and read.

nevermind, read it all. cool story. tell us more about the linkage etc. what did you decide on for suspension? keeping an inline six forever?

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
9/30/20 6:24 p.m.

Cool stuff!  I am reminded of the time I swapped a drivetrain from my brother's wrecked '67 Cougar into a four-corner drunk-dented '68 Mustang I had in the parking lot of a crappy apartment building I lived in many years ago.  Good times, I think . . .

As for suspension (sales and tech), Mike Maier (of Mike Maier, Inc) is the god of all things '60s Ford suspension.  There is a ton of of easily researchable stuff on the Web, but Maier has done suspension and racing his whole life, and is a really cool dude.  He will generally answer whatever questions you can throw at him directly.

While the leaf springs don't really need to go, especially at your power level, they do tend to suck a lot.  The front does, too, and a Mustang II setup would be absolutely zero improvement, unless you wanted to install an elephant. 

The main thing in the front is geometry insufficiency (upper control arm locations); in the rear, it's spring wrap/weakness and shock crappiness.  There are pretty cheap solutions that can make large differences with little money . . .

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/30/20 6:44 p.m.

You people are making me want a 3d printer bad.  I just have visions of me spending 3 days at a computer to design a part that would have taken me 1 day with a grinder and welder.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/30/20 6:53 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Well, I got E36 M3canned from work a couple months back, so most of what I've been doing and working on is minor stuff that doesn't require a lot of expenditure.  I get to spend a decent amount of time on my CAD software screwing around with stuff

I need to get some physical measurements as discussed in here https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/when-designing-a-carb-linkage-specifically-the-throttle-cam-are-there-any-guidelines-to-follow/177084/page1/ as well as figure out if I want to keep the crappy fox body gas pedal that I currently have in there or work on putting in a stock style linkage.  I will probably go back to the stock pedal and figure something out with the linkage based on that.

Losing my job definitely put a damper on the suspension plans (haha! get it?)

I haven't fully decided what I want to do there, but I have a decent amount of good info here from a couple forum members https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/classic-mustang-suspension-stuff/170497/page1/ 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/20 6:56 p.m.

Very cool.  I love the old Mustangs.

I will pay close attention to your casting work.  I've got a 3d printer that I run constantly and I have a casting setup too.  I've never really done much with the casting stuff but I'd like to.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/30/20 7:10 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

You people are making me want a 3d printer bad.  I just have visions of me spending 3 days at a computer to design a part that would have taken me 1 day with a grinder and welder.

I'm in the same frame of mind. I have visions of spending a month of evenings to learn what I need to know, so I can then spend several more evenings designing something I could just go make in a couple hours. Even if I learn the skills to 3D print I'll probably run out of life before I get the benefits of the time investment.

I've got a 66 Mustang, how'd I miss this thread?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/30/20 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

The biggest thing for me with the printer was the instrument cluster.  I've revised it once and am about happy with it.  I'll post pics when I get home with my pizza.

Now, if i can get my hands on metal filament that I can sinter, I might change my mind.

twentyover
twentyover Dork
9/30/20 8:11 p.m.

Realize I'm late to the party, but have you considered a coupla SU side drafts?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/30/20 8:40 p.m.

In reply to twentyover :

Nice work there.  I didn't think of them as a crazy New Zealander put the Webers in my head.  Never seen em done either, so I thought they would be more work than it appears to have taken there.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/30/20 9:27 p.m.

Posted my update on FordSix forums.  I've been surpassed already!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/30/20 9:32 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

The biggest thing for me with the printer was the instrument cluster.  I've revised it once and am about happy with it.  I'll post pics when I get home with my pizza.

Now, if i can get my hands on metal filament that I can sinter, I might change my mind.

So, revised cluster.  Haven't installed all the gauges, or painted them matte black though

twentyover
twentyover Dork
9/30/20 10:37 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to twentyover :

Nice work there.  I didn't think of them as a crazy New Zealander put the Webers in my head.  Never seen em done either, so I thought they would be more work than it appears to have taken there.

Problem w/ Webers is you need main jets and idle jets and air correctors and God knows what else to jet corectly. With an SU you need a needle.

I'll stop now. Carry on.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/2/20 12:19 p.m.

This is a very cool thread - both for building an engine you don't see often and because you only have one first car. That gauge fitment looks like they're stock - very impressive.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/2/20 1:35 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Thanks man.

I'm pretty happy with the gauges, but I'll have to tweak the blue part of the small gauge hold down.  One of the tabs keeps wanting to pop off.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MmQL20tAu4c7bmoTdUKHa8b1jNT6ysrL4On5e1Sg2d8qsjMt80unHuxR2asySqs1