That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy HalfDork
6/30/22 3:49 p.m.

I've been away from the GRM community for a while, but I thought I'd pop back and show off a few of the things I've been working on.

Up first, may I present the "Suspect Device" - a traditional post-war "rail job" that my car club (SuspectS Motor Club) recently built and ran at The Race of Gentlemen in Wildwood, NJ.

If you are unfamiliar with T.R.O.G., it is 1/8th mile drag racing event run right on the beach since 2012 featuring pre-war cars and motorcycles hot-rodded in late 40's/early 50's style. They are very tuned into the aesthetics and want everything to be as authentic as possible.

The spec sheet:

• Ford Model A Chassis
  • 1920something Dodge Brothers cowl
  • 1954 Olds "Rocket" 324CID V8
  • 1949 Mercury 3-speed transmission
  • 1946 Ford truck banjo rear end
  • 1949 Cadillac radiator w/ 1928-29 Model A grille surround
  • Mustang steering box
  • 1940 Ford 16x5 steel rear wheels / 7.50-16 tires
  • 1935 Ford 16x4 wire front wheels / 5.20-16 tires

Build Features:

• stock bottom end and heads
  • homemade lake-style open headers
  • dual stromberg-style carbs on 4bbl adapter (recently updated to triples on Edelbrock 3-2 manifold)
  • hard mount rear axle / no rear suspension
  • extreme engine set back / direct trans to rear connection (no drive shaft)
  • center-rear driver position / above rear end
  • Cowl steering w/ custom machined pitman arm and very long drag link (bumpsteer AF)
  • "suicide" front axle
  • Ford juice brakes (rear only) 

We initially started the build just before COVID hit (purchased chassis December '19 and engine January '20) and were actually planning it for a different event that was going to be started in our neck of the woods (SE michigan) and run at a small airport - but that ended up being canceled in both '20 and '21. At that time, OHV V8 were not allowed at T.R.O.G. so we really didn't have it in our sites. The car was in my buddy's garage and he did a little solo work during COVID shutdown, but we really didn't make much headway until April '21 once everyone was vaccined.

There's a lot more to the story of our experience leading up to and going to Jersey, but I'll hold that for a bit and just show some pics of the build ....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/30/22 3:52 p.m.

Oooo, fun.

Question: is that the logo for your car club up in the rafters?

That_Renault_Guy
6/30/22 3:58 p.m.

All of these pics are by an amazing professional photographer named Xander Cesari that helped document the event

That_Renault_Guy
6/30/22 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

It sure is :)

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
6/30/22 4:13 p.m.

Okay, this is berkeleying cool!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/22 9:03 p.m.

Simpson DEFINITELY  approves!

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
7/1/22 12:47 p.m.
That_Renault_Guy said:

I've been away from the GRM community for a while, but I thought I'd pop back and show off a few of the things I've been working on.

Up first, may I present the "Suspect Device" - a traditional post-war "rail job" that my car club (SuspectS Motor Club) recently built and ran at The Race of Gentlemen in Wildwood, NJ.

If you are unfamiliar with T.R.O.G., it is 1/8th mile drag racing event run right on the beach since 2012 featuring pre-war cars and motorcycles hot-rodded in late 40's/early 50's style. They are very tuned into the aesthetics and want everything to be as authentic as possible.

The spec sheet:

• Ford Model A Chassis
  • 1920something Dodge Brothers cowl
  • 1954 Olds "Rocket" 324CID V8
  • 1949 Mercury 3-speed transmission
  • 1946 Ford truck banjo rear end
  • 1949 Cadillac radiator w/ 1928-29 Model A grille surround
  • Mustang steering box
  • 1940 Ford 16x5 steel rear wheels / 7.50-16 tires
  • 1935 Ford 16x4 wire front wheels / 5.20-16 tires

Build Features:

• stock bottom end and heads
  • homemade lake-style open headers
  • dual stromberg-style carbs on 4bbl adapter (recently updated to triples on Edelbrock 3-2 manifold)
  • hard mount rear axle / no rear suspension
  • extreme engine set back / direct trans to rear connection (no drive shaft)
  • center-rear driver position / above rear end
  • Cowl steering w/ custom machined pitman arm and very long drag link (bumpsteer AF)
  • "suicide" front axle
  • Ford juice brakes (rear only) 

We initially started the build just before COVID hit (purchased chassis December '19 and engine January '20) and were actually planning it for a different event that was going to be started in our neck of the woods (SE michigan) and run at a small airport - but that ended up being canceled in both '20 and '21. At that time, OHV V8 were not allowed at T.R.O.G. so we really didn't have it in our sites. The car was in my buddy's garage and he did a little solo work during COVID shutdown, but we really didn't make much headway until April '21 once everyone was vaccined.

There's a lot more to the story of our experience leading up to and going to Jersey, but I'll hold that for a bit and just show some pics of the build ....

Props to Captain Redbeard for having "hot balls" and not even flinching 

That_Renault_Guy
7/1/22 2:04 p.m.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

it only took me a few more times to learn my lesson and actually pay attention to where I stand when hitting the starter button wink

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/1/22 2:11 p.m.

This car berks!

Love the aestetic. Such a cool old mishmash of stuff. I don't have the skill(or time to make up for skill) to build a car like that, but I would rock one so hard.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/1/22 3:04 p.m.

I guess launching on the sand, you don't have much chance of blowing up the rear end, but I'd feel kind of vulnerable. 

Awesome build, and I'm very thankful for the post since I've never heard of this series. Thanks for expanding my horizons!

orthoxstice
orthoxstice Reader
7/1/22 7:30 p.m.

Posting in this thread for one of the catchiest punk songs of all time (if I'm getting the reference right). 

That_Renault_Guy
7/1/22 7:53 p.m.
orthoxstice said:

Posting in this thread for one of the catchiest punk songs of all time (if I'm getting the reference right). 

Sticky Little Fingers FTW

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
7/2/22 3:10 a.m.
That_Renault_Guy said:

In reply to StripesSA1 :

it only took me a few more times to learn my lesson and actually pay attention to where I stand when hitting the starter button wink

So that's the face of the mad genius behind this..... Nice!!!! Always said that beards have magical powers....

That_Renault_Guy
7/2/22 7:34 a.m.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

ginger beard in all its glory

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
7/2/22 8:37 a.m.

Ginger beards FTW, though mine has since turned white...

Will you be at TROG this year? I have a buddy heading that way.

That_Renault_Guy
7/2/22 8:51 a.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Ginger beards FTW, though mine has since turned white...

Will you be at TROG this year? I have a buddy heading that way.

we'll be there for sure!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
USLe7kflzvW7vVWgPcBb4ztbPIvUy3bq3k9zR4vidmgiBixLcipdlci6naZ4mzX9