1 2 3
TJL
TJL Reader
4/13/19 3:52 p.m.

Big boy! Congrats! Enjoy every minute. From not sleeping more than a hour or 2 over a few days, getting poop, pee and puke on you to having him sleep on you like a perfect angel. It goes SO fast! My boy will be 4 in july, I regularly wonder where my baby went. 

And yeah being a dad will greatly effect garage time but its worth it. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/13/19 7:31 p.m.

Kids grow up so fast, my 26 year old is ready for her first HPDE while my 9 year old helped bleed a clutch today.  Those are the girls, also have twin 12 year old boys.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
6/20/19 3:33 p.m.

I acquired a Continental Flex Fuel Sensor to support my planned use of E85 when it becomes more locally available here to me.

The guy I purchased the turbo kit from listed up this Aeromotive A1000, so I picked it up for a great deal!

Wired up my MSPnP2, and hooked up the PLX Devices DM-6 wideband so it should be ready to fire for the first time.

I need to get some new couplers, and finish up the intercooler piping.  But progress is progress.  

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
6/27/19 4:38 a.m.

Compression is good, timing is good, it has spark, so I'm gonna borescope the intake and look for a blockage.  

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
7/15/19 5:07 a.m.

*Update*

We have pretty much confirmed the ecu the issue (suspect 2 bad injector drivers).  The ecu arrived at DIYAutoTune for repair Friday, so hopefully it should be back here possibly this week.  Missing a coupler that's already enroute.  Beyond excited to hear it run on all 4 cylinders!

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
7/24/19 8:11 p.m.

DIYAutotune contacted me with an undate on my ECU...  Everything tested perfectly.  Tomorrow i'm pulling the injectors and plan on sending them back to Fuel Injection Development to be checked out.  Hopefully its an easy fix!  I just wanna drive it!!!

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
12/11/19 7:19 a.m.

Once the injectors were sent in they checked out fine.  In the haste of trying to get everything finished up before my son came.  I inadvertently crossed #2 & #3 wires at the cap.  The car immediately fired up and ran great...  until I shut it off and tried to restart.   My laptop battery dies and it said the firmware didn't match blah blah blah and had a page full of errors.   Through many exchanges with Matt instill couldn't figure out what my issue was.  I was convinced it was a settings issue.  I replaced the ignitor, Coil, all injectors were functional, had spark.  But my tachometer was literally all over the place and misfiring like crazy (at one point the coil would start firing constantly as soon as you turned the key on.  Well the wife had my son and was Christmas shopping so I had a bit of free time. To work on the car.  I noticed a small puddle of oil on top of the back part of the transmission, below the distributor.  Felt the bottom of the dizzy and it was wet.  Then I removed the cap and saw oil inside.  A few years ago I'd rebuilt the dizzy with a new bearing, and seals so initially I thought I'd be doing that again.  I pulled the distributor to check the o-ring and low and behold i see this.

Having had to grind off a few teeth on the DIYPnP I built for my MX-3, I knew the teeth shouldn't have edges that looked like that.  

I'm gonna say this is why my car is running so erratically, and misfiring bad!   Lucky to have ran across this by pure accident.   New dizzy on the way, will post results!

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
4/18/20 9:13 p.m.

Picked up an MS3X and harness for my car.  Eliminating a wiring issue as a problem with a great deal from a friend as it's set up for a Complete COP setup which was included.  Should have it installed sometime this week.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/18/20 11:58 p.m.

Glad to see this thread bumped up especially from some of these longer term projects. It's coming together so well. 

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
4/19/20 1:34 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks!  I'm done excited to hear it finally fire up and actually run right!  I'm hoping to have it driving for Memorial Day weekend, becoming a Dad has cut into my garage time, but I can say its definitely worth it!

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
4/30/20 3:24 a.m.

MS3X arrived, as did both new wiring harnesses.  Days off coming up so hopefully I'll get most of this knocked out and have it running shortly!  

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
8/20/21 11:52 a.m.

I can't believe I took the car off the road 3 years ago this week..   Alots happened in those 3 years I Became a Dad, My awesome mother passed away this past March, Switched careers, moved, and death with the craziness of the Covid19 frenzy.

I originally wanted to to just a few repairs and call it done.  That in turn, because a full engine build, Ecu upgrade,  Turbo upgrade, Clutch Upgrade, and rust repair.  I am super happy to report that it fired up yesterday on the 1st crank on a new Link G4X Plug In ECU!

Gotta work tonight, but I'll share a video or it later.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
10/6/21 10:37 p.m.

Well would ya look at that!  Today it moved under its own power from the deep slumber in my garage. 

immediately gave her a quick bath! 

Immediately my 2 1/2 year old lays claim to it, and demands a ride around the block.  Sooo, around the block we went!  Man what a feeling of accomplishment (driving the car out of the garage that I started when I found out I was going to be a father, with my son in the passenger seat). I Still need to set up a tuning appointment, top off transmission fluid that leaked outfrom a defective axle seal, and locate a small exhaust leak.  

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
1/1/22 12:02 a.m.

W

I did locate my exhaust leak and am replacing the turbo coolant lines, as the AN fittings are something awful to access.   Im replacing them with banjo bolt fittings.

Hoping to get it licensed this week!  Then get that tune scheduled!  

i had to pass on this jewel, but passed it to one of my best friends.   A 93 nonturbo with 1 owner for the last 20 years.  The PO messaged me and offered it to me for  $500... had a miss, diagnosed it to an injector stuck shut.  Talk about lucky!

Wishing everyone a Safe & Happy New Year!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/1/22 12:31 a.m.

Looking good!

It could be the angle but did you have a dump tube for that wastegate?  I ask because I've seen some crazy things happen with wastegates opening in the engine bay and not dumping out on to the ground far enough. 

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
1/1/22 11:22 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I have a Dump tube, just made turbo removal easier by taking it off to improve access.  

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
12/13/22 11:02 a.m.

Got everything buttoned up and had a remote tune done by ATS Racing in Texas.   Have the Flex Fuel Sensor fittings enroute and will be in for a dyno session to finalize the tune.  But shes running great!  Next will be a repaint! Probably next winter for that.

Added some Stage 8 fasheners to keep the axle bolts from coming out.

My 3 year old wanted to park his buggy in the garage with the racecars too.​​​​​​

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TGqFuccTZjtBFJqIOrcjrjY4XqPZ3i0eQZ8SnJ2xZyXgk4BNVAsmUupNWvZdBAh2