2 3 4 5 6
Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/25/19 12:03 p.m.

This is going to be awesome. I love seeing American hotrods with import engines in them. I guess I just want to watch the world burn. LOL 

I thought the Jag IRS was fairly power limited. Are you planning any upgrades for it? 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/25/19 3:40 p.m.

YIn reply to Crackers : That same basic rear end is what 427 Cobra’s used and very similar to current front engine Corvettes  Beloved by hot rodders   and kit car builders.  It’s a Dana 44  

Group 44 used it in their championship winning Jaguars because it’s nearly bullet proof. It’s also what Jaguar has been using since 1950 in both straight and IRS  rear ends. 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
4/25/19 7:50 p.m.

Damn that is a cool engine. Don't know if I would have the gahones to use the nitros. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
4/27/19 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Mykk :

I like the courage you’re showing. You dare to be different and I think in a very good way. 

Have you figured out your plans to run the car yet? What ECU, how will you sort out all the variables?  I mean is there a blue print for a super/ turbo charged BMWV8 to start from?  

Then how much time and expense will it take to sort everything all out?  

I ask because my MGuar is similar. I settled on  using the Jaguar distributor and system and putting carbs on top of my blower.  Rather than trying to sort out a full ECM for a V12.  

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
4/27/19 3:09 p.m.
frenchyd said:...Have you figured out your plans to run the car yet? What ECU, how will you sort out all the variables?  I mean is there a blue print for a super/ turbo charged BMWV8 to start from?  ...

Thank you everyone for the encouragement.

The standalone EFI of my preference is a budget, opensource, DIY system called Speeduino. It's a speed density algorithm and the EFI board has a 2.5bar built in MAP sensor (Up to 20psi of boost). 

Speeduino uses TunerStudioMS software, same as megasquirt. But different firmwares so it has different tables and options as MS. Tunerstudio is capable of building a base map to get the car running using engine specs, then once running it can auto-tune the VE map based on wideband O2 input. There is even an online calc for a base ignition timing map based on engine and operating condition specifics.

I've used Speeduino on a naturally aspirated version of the same BMW V8 and I know it works great on the application, here's a short video of the first fire up and test drive on that car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjPw6jeFoU

ctk339
ctk339 Reader
4/28/19 4:46 a.m.

I like this 

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
5/12/19 7:11 p.m.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
5/12/19 9:42 p.m.

I'm starting to want to build a T-Bucket.  Curse you, fellow enabler!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
5/13/19 12:29 a.m.

IF only a bucket could be accepted with decent front suspension I might do a "Track T" inspired build!

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
5/13/19 6:41 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

There are countless examples of well designed front suspensioned  Hot Rods.   However with the flat frame as presented here of very little value.  Part of the reason the front beam axle works here is the frame will be flexible enough to make it sorta work. 

Don't get all hung up on theory.  A Morgan works in spite of a very flexible frame,  countless other examples of less than perfection are beloved and enjoyed. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
5/13/19 10:08 a.m.

Frame stiffness can be improved dramatically with a few hidden hoops and braces.

For me if it won't corner decently it's not worth the effort and dollars.

Here's an old multi-award winning show car that's a bit different, Corvair engine, Tempest transaxle, and cleverly done front "Beam" axle.

It's actually competitive in Auto-X!

Not sure how the suspension upper arm works but it seems that it does.

Note, no ugly and heavy transverse leaf spring, as I recall it's on a torsion bar setup.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
5/14/19 2:41 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

“ corner decently”. 

Like I said a Morgan has a very flexible frame, and really stiff suspension but together it’s a fast car that can be very competitive in it’s class.   

Circle track sprint cars are capable of astonishingly fast lap speeds with a very basic beam axle suspension Front and rear.   Sprint cars have beat the best sports cars and in turn been beaten by sports cars  

As far as a springing medium goes Corvette is capable of extremely high cornering Speeds, with the same transverse buggy springs.  

It’s not the individual components,  rather the combination working together. 

I’ve raced pickup trucks, hot rods, Sports racing cars and production sedans, it’s the details that make one work while another struggles. 

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
6/5/19 8:33 p.m.

Collecting parts for steering, and I have a vague idea of how I'm going to hang the steering gear for cowl steering. But first the steering gear needed to be reversed rotation by flipping the input shaft around to the other side of the housing:

Sprint car pitman arm to mount the box high but keep the steering arm low & parallel to radius arms

kurtiswj
kurtiswj New Reader
6/8/19 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Mykk :

steve makes a nice kit for Jag super charger I run it on my 540 speed interested in your plans for dme replacement ? megasquirt? that with the nos is my thoughts for my street car - 

below is my 32 ford truck with a ford engine 928 transaxle and a little welding 

let me know your thoughts on ecus 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/9/19 7:38 a.m.

In reply to kurtiswj :

Do you have a build thread? I saw your comment on the SHO Ranger too. Welcome, and please share.

kurtiswj
kurtiswj New Reader
6/13/19 8:20 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

I have some photos of things as we progressed mostly just Midwesterners working on metal and being quite about it -  looking to maybe move this and couple of other project cars I have completed and what does a build thread entail? we are close to running this on the road for its tune and some kink working out - with every part made and fit by hand we have a little fine tuning - the tilton levered peddles and the speedo driver need a little more work and I have a little spacing issue on my air box over all a small list given the hours and effort to do it right the first time.  looking also for some ideas on keeping the metal finish and reducing the maintenance to it using a gibbs and some mat clear coat in the un reachable spots some times think about tearing it down and painting, powder coating, and chroming.  but have never felt like the work should be covered up???  

thanks 

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
6/30/19 7:51 a.m.
kurtiswj said:

In reply to Mykk :

steve makes a nice kit for Jag super charger I run it on my 540 speed interested in your plans for dme replacement ? megasquirt? that with the nos is my thoughts for my street car - 

below is my 32 ford truck with a ford engine 928 transaxle and a little welding 

let me know your thoughts on ecus

Your truck is gorgous! I'm planning on running something a bit quirky for the EFI, an opensource DIY Arduino based ecu called Speeduino. Here's a vid of my previous N/A M60B40 in an E34 running off the Arduino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjPw6jeFoU

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
6/30/19 8:57 a.m.

Not much in way of updates. The T project was moved from the shop space to my work where it sat on display while a T-bucket event came through town.

While my T was at work I did manage to get going on the fuel system. Installed the in-tank EFI pump and fuel level sender, made hard lines and -6 braided hoses.

My intention was to run as much hard line as possible. Starting with a 25' coil of line I'd make & bend a line, get 4 or 5 bends in then kink a bend and start over. Eventually started to run out of hard line, so when a bend would kink I'd just cut it there and run the steel braided line. It's not perfect, but it'll work.

With the T now back at it's shop I plan to have the steering hung this week. Have all the holes, mounting and bits cut out from the body. Finish sectioning the grill and then soon the body panels go in for paint. The paint scheme plan as of now is to go semi-gloss black with a passenger/right side offset euro style red thick and thin stripe, a nod to it's euro drivetrain.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
7/23/19 7:31 p.m.

As you can see above, the flipped upsidedown M3 exhaust manifolds point right at the steering arm. We'll come back to that.

Sectioning the grill so everything can go off to paint:

With the body pieces away for paint I can keep myself busy with other things to get done, like that exhaust. I've decided to start experimenting with headers from engines that have similar dimensions. SImilar bore spacing, exhaust port spacing & flange designs. I've found the 2011-2014 Ford mustang 5.0 is really close. So below is a set os long tubes for a mustang, flipped upside down...naturally.

The passenger side fits beautifully. The drivers side, not so much. But that's okay, I've got more pipes to experiment with and then ultimately can modify a set that closest fits to clear that steering arm.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/23/19 7:53 p.m.

Been following along because, well, it's just soooooo cool!

Bonus points for guitar in the shop.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
7/23/19 7:59 p.m.

Thank you. Playing in bands has been a big part of my life for a very long time.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/23/19 8:11 p.m.

I played for about 40 years, kept an old Strat in the garage at times. Mess around with it waiting for paint to dry or welds to cool.  Then my house was burglarized while I was away for a couple months. They made several trips with a large box truck & emptied everything in the house including all the furniture, clothes etc. even the big appliances like the fridge. Came home to empty house with a couple inches of water on the floor from the ice maker feed line.  Insurance wouldn't cover any of my "stuff" and I haven't played since.

Mykk
Mykk New Reader
8/11/19 9:18 p.m.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
8/12/19 8:55 a.m.

Awesome! Love the custom emblem!

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
8/12/19 10:27 a.m.

What is the layout tape called? That looks like a good way to do the measuring. 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zzAltQVwu8BtbiT99oyIs84M7hMVBAXXP8Zo1qda3l41KBY5hzv31DAW8wATehQO