3 4 5 6 7
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/31/19 7:58 a.m.

The offending wheel and crack. No impact, tire is fine. Age problem? Stress? Inside lip, rear wheel.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/31/19 8:59 a.m.
Javelin said:

Ugggghhh! I'm tired of spending money right now! frown

And yet you just bought TWO Audi A4's.  Just saying!  laugh

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/31/19 9:02 a.m.
docwyte said:
Javelin said:

Ugggghhh! I'm tired of spending money right now! frown

And yet you just bought TWO Audi A4's.  Just saying!  laugh

That's why I'm tired! 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
4/12/19 10:24 p.m.

I see that you're trying to find a 18x7.5 wheel for your car. We had the Porsche dealer print off all available wheel options for our 2004 Boxster and on that list is 18x8 front, 18x10 rear wheels and these are the sizes we ran in CS at Nationals. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/13/19 9:28 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

In 2000, the year that my car is, 18x7.5/18x9 is the largest set offered. The 18x8/18x10 didn't come out until 2002 from what I can gather.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
4/14/19 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

My 01 also is 7.5 and 9.5 rear.  

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/17/19 7:23 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I see that you're trying to find a 18x7.5 wheel for your car. We had the Porsche dealer print off all available wheel options for our 2004 Boxster and on that list is 18x8 front, 18x10 rear wheels and these are the sizes we ran in CS at Nationals. 

I've found documentation that those wheels were available in 2000 as well. My wheels are actually that size already, so I ordered a replacement because mine has been repaired once already.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/23/19 10:25 a.m.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a wheel!!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/23/19 11:53 p.m.

Old and busted (L) and freshly rattle-canned hotness (R).

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/24/19 6:19 p.m.

Red alert! The Boxster is back!!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
4/24/19 8:40 p.m.

WOOHOO!!!  Have a blast!  I'm going to go to the AutoX school for real on May 4th and am very excited.  I may do the PCA autoX the next day too.  I will be in my slightly different yellow Boxster and am looking forward to it.  I had to get a tire repaired thanks to all the new construction in our neighborhood.  The tire had maybe 20 miles on it too...... helmet and chairs are already in the frunk and trunk from the last autoX school I didn't attend due to my kid catching the flu. 

How are you liking the shocks you went with (Koni's but I'm going to reread and verify)?  Do you think for a DD, autoX, track toy coilovers would be tons better or would you go with plates to gain camber instead and GT3 type control arms?  Honestly, long term, I don't care about classes or trophies. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/25/19 1:06 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Yes, Koni Sports (yellow) with stock springs because I had to. For autocross/street I think it's pretty good as they are adjustable. Add camber plates and you're good to go honestly. I've had some bad experiences with even high end coilovers, so I'm not sure I can objectively answer that.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
5/4/19 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I took it to autoX school today.  Got in quite a bit if sit time and got to drive the car stupid hard on a figure 8 too.  It understeers, pushes, plows and getting the rear loose requires stupid use of brakes and steering.  When driven within mine and the car’s limits its very nice.  I’d really like to get it more neutral and destroy the Conti ECS’s before adding stickier tires to the mix though.  

I’d be interested in knowing if you’ve been able to tame the understeer.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/9/19 9:21 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

The stickier tires helped and so did the alignment. But mostly slow in / fast out. I also left foot brake.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/9/19 9:25 a.m.

So here's the big update on events 4 & 5.

These came loose in the test and tune session on Saturday after event 4. We fixed them in the parking lot but need to find a permanent solution.

Squad goals! Both Caymans are brand new to autocross. I was not only the fastest Porsche, I was also the 18th fastest overall out of 100 finishers on Sunday. Giggity.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/17/19 6:40 p.m.

We're getting ready to go racing again. Time for our first National Tour site course, we're going to Packwood, WA.

I gotta figure out how to get a tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 bed rolls, a cooler, 2 helmets, and 2 bags of clothes into a Boxster...

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
5/18/19 1:26 p.m.
Javelin said:

We're getting ready to go racing again. Time for our first National Tour site course, we're going to Packwood, WA.

I gotta figure out how to get a tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 bed rolls, a cooler, 2 helmets, and 2 bags of clothes into a Boxster...

Wear the helmets......

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
5/18/19 5:30 p.m.

There's so much storage room in a Boxster, all that stuff should be an easy fit. Good luck this weekend

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/22/19 1:10 p.m.
loosecannon said:

There's so much storage room in a Boxster, all that stuff should be an easy fit. Good luck this weekend

We had to make some choices on what stays and goes but did alright with the camping.

Driving was a different story, we did okay-ish. News at 11.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/8/19 9:18 a.m.

I'm finally catching up to editing video from May...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/13/19 5:22 p.m.
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/13/19 5:30 p.m.

You’re making me want to pickup a Boxster S.  How has it done at the last couple of events?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/13/19 5:36 p.m.
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/13/19 6:34 p.m.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/13/19 6:59 p.m.

My driving went downhill from there, but my co-driver did better. Sitting 12th and 15th out of 19 on day 1. Car is doing great!

http://sololive.scca.com/CS.php

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xsAesneWgdClD7n4ogaHxzCdblTOtu85JHSDUygdFrQSHXptfa4JZA54ihUQ61od