Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/16/20 4:41 p.m.

Adam needs tires made in this century.  And a steering quickener.  (That is now my answer to everything)  And maybe some more horsepower, but that is the expensive one.

cghstang_chris
cghstang_chris Dork
6/16/20 4:45 p.m.

Was Adam driving his Volvo?

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/16/20 4:46 p.m.

In reply to cghstang_chris :

Yep, he had it there so he decided to enter and get some seat time.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/17/20 6:00 p.m.

See that?

Here's another angle.

Cracked right through from the exhaust seat to the water jacket.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 6:10 p.m.

So, you found the problem with the Volvo finally?

Full coverage? Rag and a lighter?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/17/20 7:18 p.m.

It would not be so bad if I hadn't spent $bank to rebuild the 2.4 bottom end, and buy gaskets and bolts for assembling the top end.  I was expecting to use this head on the 2.4 bottom end, you see.  Worst case, I can probably sell the 2.4 bottom end for $1000 no problem, or I have other ideas.

Erie Vo-Vo does not have any low mileage B5244T5 engines in stock.  They do have a one year warranty B5254T4 from an '07 S60R with 144k on it.  I'll call them tomorrow morning.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 7:41 p.m.

Chop it up and throw it in the scrap dumpster 

lxnm
lxnm New Reader
6/18/20 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I have one of these T5 engines I don't know what to do with.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/20 9:12 a.m.

In reply to lxnm :

Do you mean B5244T5 or just generic "turbo five" or do you mean an engine from a T5 badged car?

They do not mean the same thing.

lxnm
lxnm New Reader
6/18/20 9:21 a.m.

It should be a B5234T3, so pretty generic.  I had to look it up.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/20 11:20 a.m.

In reply to lxnm :

That won't have the correct cylinder head.  Only S60R/V70R and '06-09 S60/V70 "T5" trim have the correct head.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/20 11:57 a.m.

$1650 to Erie Vo-Vo later, Invincible the Third is arriving.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/20 10:49 a.m.

With no Volvo action this weekend, and realizing that Miles was coming up so he could collect my helmet from Columbus (oops), I signed up for the NEOhio rallycross, because why not.

Friday after work, I changed the oil and replaced the LSU4.9 sensor that lasted about a thousand miles.  Used a sensor for a '06 Kia Spectra (Bosch 17212) as it is a nice short length.  Spent some time trying to fix an off idle hiccup, got things mixed up while playing with deadtimes, gave up and loaded the previous tune and said screw it.

Went to go to my storage locker to pick up my tires, and to teh 'cave to finally get that Audi engine and trans out of the trailer.  Noticed that my EZPass was missing.  Crap!  Pressing on, I made sure I had money for the turnpike and, halfway there, realized that my garage door opener was also missing.  Crap crap!  Get to the exit, turn around, get back on the turnpike, go to work to collect them from the Volvo...

By this time it was well after eight, and I was in no mood to get home after ten, so I went home.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/20 11:10 a.m.

Today, left home at 7:30 and hiked to storage locker to collect the tires, after having to turn around twice because I first forgot my Bag O' Lunchmeat, and then my Summit cooler bag... 

20 minutes later, at storage locker, the gate is not working.  I'm trying my gate passcode over and over again, and finally it works. Dimly remember the proprietor say that the gate will not open before a certain time, maybe it was 8am? Collect tires, shove into back of Mazda without bothering to secure them for the 3/4mi drive, get car turned around... and now the gate will not open to let me out.

Many slow, deliberate code entries later, the gate opens, and I rush to teh 'cave to unload the trailer, which involves unburying the cherrypicker because Audi five cylinder blocks are HEAVY, etc etc, tools and tires in the trailer, rush to Speedway, collect $25 in fuel, two bags of ice for the cooler, and some coffee and gut bomb sandwiches for breakfast.

Broke open the macaroni salad container while trying to close the lid of the cooler.  Berk.

Set GPS to a previously found address in Burton, which is probably where I have to go.  ETA 9:52.  I can do this.

9:49, arrive at site.  Wander around trying to find where the event is.  Park next to Miles' car about three Rhode Islands away from the registration trailer, sign a waiver, wait a while, then get handed a sticker to put on the car.  Hobble back to car, and driver's meeting is announced on the PA.  Berk it, if I go to the meeting then I won't have time to get ready before the event starts, I'll just ask questions later.  Unload trailer of tires and jack, transfer car stuff to trailer box, change front tires, change rear tires...

It was at this point that one of the studs on the last tire I was changing decided to gall.  

Okay, world, you win.  I am not going to rallycross today.  If someone tried to run a car through tech with only three lugs on one wheel I would tell them to fix it or GTFO.  So I threw the street tires on the front, redistributed the stuff in the trailer and car, and got TFO...

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/20 11:57 a.m.

Damn that's harsh

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/20 12:07 p.m.

Berking studs.

The good news:

(why is that sideways??)

Anyway, good news, these are .509 knurl, which means I probably have twenty or thirty scavenged from GM wheel bearings.  Will replace all eight rear studs, as I did notice the threads starting to spit shinies when taking the nuts off.  Will also scrap all the lug nuts because I have 56 of these in a drawer.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/20 1:10 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/20 2:56 p.m.

Went to teh 'cave to find my collection of scaveneged GM studs, to find that I threw out the whole lot of them.  Did find two, so grabbed those and a new lug nut and came back.

The studs do not fit.

Rick is here, and mentioned that he replaced a hub in an Escape yesterday.

Turns out the studs are an exact match, same knurl and length and nose.

Pressed in the one, saved the other four for later.

Now to see about rebending the exhaust.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
6/22/20 12:48 p.m.

Damn. Saw you pull up, sign the waiver, and then next thing I knew you weren't there for the run group. Sorry about the luck.

I take from your wording you don't like how we set things up there. Happy to take your suggestions.

I've hoped that the map I send the night before helps participants and with where the Fairgrounds want us to run (way in the back) we don't have much choice to put the timing/registration trailer anywhere else. I suppose we could separate registration from the timing trailer but it all typically goes into the computer that needs power from the trailer. We also could move tech and the paddock up the hill to be closer next time. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/22/20 1:32 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

i blame Miles for parking reeeeeally far away from registration smiley  I am still not at 100% for walking after whatever the hell it was i did to my foot two weeks ago.

I didn't see any maps and didn't get your e-mail until Sunday.  Didn't have time to check.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
6/22/20 1:47 p.m.

Got it. 

Was glad to have you coming, again, sorry about the luck and hope the foot heals up!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/23/20 3:08 p.m.

6/23/20 3:09 p.m.

Engine number four for the Volvo?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/23/20 4:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Engine number four for the Volvo?

Two.

6/23/20 4:49 p.m.

Two engines? Twin engine turbo awd Volvo? 

You, sir, are WINNING. 

(Im sure you meant Engine two. I was thinking it had been more than that)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TXqivIhqNuAaBoQLdmf2PwiLAhfiOVZ1EbfJMMpOIUPzCmFZfFVDZmNSyiqZZBSU