Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/23/20 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

The engine that is half in the car and half exploded-view on a workbench is the original engine to the car.

The engine I bought for the car, then installed, turned out to be warped like a Vans tour so it came right back out again, and I rebuilt its bottom end because I am impatient and enjoy spending money on things I shouldn't I guess.

So this is both the second engine I bought and the second engine for the car.  Erie Vo-Vo has a really solid reputation.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/26/20 8:27 a.m.

ugh this bothers me.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/26/20 2:46 p.m.

Here we go again.

Turns out what exploded was a bent fitting.  Replacing condensor under warranty anyway.

It should not have done that, and the line did not do that on the old condensor.

Front of the car looks like a Predator crawled inside and ate a grenade.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/26/20 3:18 p.m.

New radiator coming tomorrow.  Went to flush it with Purple Power.  Poured it into one tank, it didn't flow to the other tank.  Used the water hose and white chunks blew out.  Nope.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/27/20 7:02 p.m.

Three hours of sleep last night, kind of crosseyed now, forgot how to use a tablet.  Reached peak berkeleyit for the day.

Bumper is off mainly because it makes leaning over the core support easier on my knees.  The Facet thermostat did not have a port for the PCV coolant line so I had to scavenge a cover from a dead stat.  This was after an hour of crossthreading the F U banjo bolt on the intake manifold.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/28/20 1:27 p.m.

Is that the new engine in there?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/28/20 2:30 p.m.

Invincible the Third, yes.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/28/20 2:38 p.m.

Well it starts and runs and sounds okay.  Now to see if it holds coolant.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/28/20 2:50 p.m.

The Airlift did not lose vacuum.  Nearly 2 gallons of Peak brand premixed blue Euro coolant, most of a $29 liter bottle of Pentosin in the power steering system later, the A/C is going on vacuum again and I am grabbing a burger.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/30/20 6:01 p.m.

Well I feel really sick.

On the warranty paperwork, there was a clause that oil pan gasket and rear main seal must be replaced to maintain warranty.  I did not do this because everything looked clean, and you are as likely to create a problem as prevent one by replacing good seals.  Besides, if it developed a leak, I would fix it instead of filing a warranty claim.

Engine was leaking oil fairly heavily from the oil pan.  Half the bolts were less than finger tight and some O-rings were missing.  Rick opined that they probably pulled the pan to inspect the insides.  Makes sense.  That is not the part that makes me sick.  This is.

They clearly had removed the flex plate to shoot aluminum colored spray paint on it for some reason.  Did they torque it?  If they were expecting the seal behind it to be replaced, probably not.

Looks like I am pulling the trans next weekend.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/30/20 7:34 p.m.

That's terrible news. Is it at least running well other than that?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/1/20 8:27 a.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

It's not leaking, not knocking, not tapping, not blowing the dipstick out, and not pressurizing the cooling system.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/1/20 9:05 a.m.

Oh berkeley me.  This car hates you and all you do is shower it with affection and vanity plates

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/1/20 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

did an 18psi pull all the way up the hill on state road this morning, to verify cooling system and piston ring integrity.

I really don't want to pull the trans right now, I have a lot of other irons in the fire, so I will just keep a patient ear on the engine for knocking sounds from the bellhousing region.  Plus if for some reason the engine does have to come back out, I'll feel stupid for pulling the trans.

7/1/20 10:40 a.m.

Good plan.  Maybe they put it back with some ugga duggas and it'll be fine.  You'll hear it if it comes loose before it gets bad

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/1/20 10:57 a.m.

Can you call the junkyard and ask them?  I know they probably go thru a zillion cars, but that engine is pretty unique.  If the work was done recently, someone might remember.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/1/20 11:59 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

Can you call the junkyard and ask them?  I know they probably go thru a zillion cars, but that engine is pretty unique.  If the work was done recently, someone might remember.

I won't, because i was supposed to replace the rear main seal to validate the warranty.  So the torque is irrelevant as far as they are concerned.

i did replace the complete timing set and cam seals, because it was an oil spoogy mess under the cover.  And the water pump was indexing.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/1/20 5:56 p.m.

Got home, no oil pressure, engine is knocking something fierce in the top end,

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/1/20 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Omg.  You know this is 2020, right?  Pull it.  Replace oil pan gasket and rms....  send it back.

What is going on that you are nuking these engines?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/1/20 6:32 p.m.

There is no oil pan gasket, just sealant and some shockingly expensive O-rings.  Structural oil pan that bolts to a ladder-frame on the block.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/1/20 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I just meant do whatever gets you the warranty...

I realize the oil pressure is bad juju....  no chance the sound is the flywheel?  The oil pressure is a coincidence of a failed sender?

7/1/20 9:06 p.m.

Light on fire, buy $12k 556hp ctsv from poopshovel

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/2/20 6:13 a.m.

I hate V8s.  I do not like the sound or their slow acceleration.

Even more than the sound it made when the turbo seized on the way to work.  How do I know it was the turbo that made the sickening sucking screech sound?  Engine suddenly felt like I was driving an old Type II.

oil filter housing full of metal.  The brown area is big metal flakes, too.

I love the car but the inability to get parts for it is heartbreaking.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/2/20 6:54 a.m.

No automatic 1l Fiestas in Ohio.

There are six auto 1l Focuses but my god, for 10-12k I could buy a 3rd gen Fit.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
7/2/20 8:23 a.m.

Does this car have an oil cooler? Did you re-use it? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9tn07upnbHwQempG7GIDSKe94Co8nbsgd2HecCZAQMohWjpoFo4afxQ6SWWhT1tv