Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/11/22 3:58 p.m.

Sigh...

Note I have not driven the car since the NEOhio event... or rallycrossed since then...

Should probably make sure the battery is not dead.  And scrape all of the Subaru parts off of it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/14/22 6:02 p.m.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
6/14/22 6:03 p.m.

That's a whole lot of BMWs.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/14/22 6:28 p.m.

Yup.

Just acquired an Escape knuckle for its studs for the 9 inch in the '84.  Looking at the layout, the whole knuckle assembly may be an upgrade for the front of the '84.  

The car that I need to remind myself will probably never be rallycrossed again after 2022.

Also acquired a steering shaft that may solve ALL the problems with Colin, as well as an air to fluid trans cooler.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/14/22 8:00 p.m.

Thinking further forward.  I could still demodify the 84 if I can get a floor chunk from a dead Series 3 (S2/S1 are different) and go with a four link suspension mounted in the wheelwells like MRTE did on the Group B cars.

Or I could say berk it, sell the car to someone who runs somewhere a little more rules-lax, pay down the amazing debt I have built up putting Colin together, and focus on other things. Like the '81.  Or the Quantum, which would be awesome for Detroit events.  But jeez I have had this car for 15 years, hard to let go.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/14/22 8:46 p.m.

Angry at being woken from its slumber, the '84 brapped to life and went on a short reconnaissance trip.

Runs OK on November's fuel, had a quarter tank in it still, but it was running a mite richer than I remember so probably the light ends evaporated off.

Drive belt is getting replaced before I drive it home tomorrow.  Huge crack across it, and this car does not have am airpump to keep the water pump turning if the belt fails.  Has a NAPA 25-7290 on it, seems to cross reference to a 15290 in Dayco speak.  Will get two.  Because of the tiny drive pulley you cannot use an OE fit belt.

Will try to get a Continental belt, they slip less, and slippage with the aluminum pulley is an issue.

Definitely feel too old to drive this on the street.  It's harsh and more antisocial than I care to use on the road anymore.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/16/22 8:32 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/17/22 9:14 p.m.

The MSD decided to die right as I was getting ready to take the car to 42 to verify WOTness because there is something ticket inducing about running a 13B to 10k on the street.

Of course, I got it diagnosed in time to not have enough time to go to Summit and buy a new one.

And MSD no longer sells the 6AL with rev pills.  Thanks China.  They changed the design to have a dial, which is fine except I need the pill setup for my 2 step to work.  Which I use to keep from overrevving when (not if) I miss a shift.

A non limiter 6 is now $291.  A 6AL with a built in 2 step is $409.  Well, the last time I bought an MSD was 14 years ago, the price hike is not that bad...

Being somewhat budget limited thanks to Colin, looks like I will not have a 2 step anymore and will have to rely on a hard fuel cut in the tune.  Plus, I might possibly maybe be able to transfer it to the '81 and still be Prepared legal if it does not have a rev limiter.  Will pose a rules clarification to see what they say.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/18/22 12:03 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I have an old nascar gm heavy duty 6al down here. Its actually an external box that does the rev limiter. 

Dunno if that helps or not

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/22 10:41 a.m.

Helpful but not really, car is getting hauled away in about four hours.

MSD acquired, now to figure out what the hell I was thinking 14 years ago when I put this in.

And dangit, I was at Summit and forgot to buy an overfilter.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/18/22 1:10 p.m.

Hauled away to?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/22 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

You may have seen this van pulling such vehicles as moxnix's former RX-7....

or Powar's former Mini Cooper, or my soon to be former WRX, which are in the process of being united in some sort of perverse forced marriage/reassignment surgery deal... although last I checked you could get quality SRS for only $10,000...

I did not think about it until just now, but the last time I had an RX-7 strapped through the rear wheels, it bent the axles.  Hopefully the big 31 spline units are stronger than that smiley

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/22 9:45 p.m.

OK, the plan.

It's a stupid plan, but it is still a plan.

Evan and I both have absolutely zero interest in going to Nationals this year, which is *waves hands vaguely* somewhere in Colorado.  We also want to go to a DC region event at Panthera because they apparently kick ass.  And DCR has a very, very deep MR field, which is enticing.  And this is probably the last year that the RX-7 will be RallyCross legal thanks to pending rules changes.  I have driven his Miata many times, he has only driven my car for like one run to finish a day out.

So, as mentioned, the Plan, is Evan drags the RX-7 to Panthera, I meet him there, we co-drive and suck dust and/or mud, consider it to be our "Nationals".  And then... Evan takes the RX-7 back to his place and sort of keeps it there, maybe scares the local wildlife by buzzing it around the backyard.  What happens at the COG stays at the COG.  It's like when you put beer in someone else's fridge, you give up exclusive access.  Point is, as soon as Colin can roll on four wheels, it will get dragged up here to sit in Thing 1's spot in the garage, where I can do the plumbing and wiring at my convenience without having to spend 5-6 hours round trip to get to the car. (times X/gallon times Y/mpg)  And Evan gets his spot in the garage back until such ministrations are done.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
6/18/22 10:01 p.m.

What bumps it out of mod?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/22 10:19 p.m.

In reply to ojannen :

The big hole in the floor that the rear axle's upper link comes through.

(old pic, but demonstatory)

This was 100% the reason for wanting to build a C4 car.

By the rules the BOD wanted to present, essentially all current Mod cars would be illegal.  As it is, the compromise ruleset would make the majority of Miatas illegal due to having holes drilled into them for chassis braces.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
6/20/22 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I am ready for the whole mod rules change thing to be resolved.  I don't even care what the rules are going to be anymore.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/22 1:30 p.m.

In reply to ojannen :

As far as I know, which ain't much, there were hiccups that prevented it from being ready for the 2022 season, but they will be implemented for 2023.

I do know that the rewrite committee basically wanted the structure of the car between and including the front firewall to the lateral beam behind the driver to be stock but everything else had allowances.  The original counter was zero tub mods, even areas like the radiator core support.  There were two or three or four compromise proposals and I do not know which one, if any, were approved, but I am fairly confident that cutting a 20" long by 9" wide pizza slice out of the floor is no bueno under any of them.

I do know that I have a PR car, a C4 car in the works, an MA car in the back of the Batcave, I could probably put the '84's innards in the RX-3, I still have the GTI...  So I am not personally affected much aside from wanting to run the '84 while I still can.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/26/22 7:42 a.m.

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
6/27/22 7:51 a.m.

The '84 is a great car.  I will be sad to see it retired from competition.  With that being said, it would be a clean break that you might never have been able to make yourself just because of the depth of your investment in time, effort, materials, and money, and overall blood, sweat and tears in the '84.  The MINI has a lot of potential, and it's a clean slate for you.  It's already got a lot going for it, plus there's the new process of discovery and refinement that still lies ahead of you.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/27/22 10:47 a.m.

Will there still be the exception for stage rally cars?  If so, cage the RX-7?  Or is the seat already as low as it will go?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/27/22 8:14 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

It's not really relevant, as even if it wasn't cheaper to just buy an already currently logbooked car, the chassis of the car is capital D done.  See how the fender is bent up?  That is because the chassis is so flexible.  The fender is actually sitting forward of its bolt holes enough that most of them are not in place, but the car is stretching or getting shorter or something.

And I don't think any scrutineer would logbook the car, too much rust.

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
6/28/22 9:41 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

It's not really relevant, as even if it wasn't cheaper to just buy an already currently logbooked car, the chassis of the car is capital D done.  See how the fender is bent up?  That is because the chassis is so flexible.  The fender is actually sitting forward of its bolt holes enough that most of them are not in place, but the car is stretching or getting shorter or something.

And I don't think any scrutineer would logbook the car, too much rust.

With all that being said, what is your plan for this car in the future?  One more season of rallycross, then part it out?  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/28/22 7:37 p.m.

Have not thought that far ahead, nor do I care to.  The red RX-7 still needs its Dell rejetted and installed, after I remember to bring some electrical testing stuff home to see how the TPS system works so I can adapt a workalike to the Dell so the vacuum advance works because I like getting nearly 30mpg from a stockport 12A.

Also want to check exhaust backpressure before doing any of that.

The Volvo is badly in need of a new rack.  Could smell the fluid burning off the exhaust several times on the trip to WV.  Replacing the rack is... involved.  And expensive.

And of course, the black RX-7's current spot is now full of Subaru and AMP EFI parts.  Granted, they were in that spot before, technically, they all just had a Mazda under them.  Hopefully this time next month there will be an R53 clogging the bay.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
6/28/22 9:09 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/31/22 8:12 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yNMz41FC9zfCepE2KzYO5J2TKUL6PDMDqc4yaUlE4wf0iiN453SrAOQHk5GFaC5b