6 7 8 9 10
Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/6/18 7:32 p.m.

No pressure.  We'll find out when we are told!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
3/6/18 7:52 p.m.

I bet it is made by Chevrolet. A wise man once told me when asked if he’d ever attempt a different type of engine, “I’ll use a different engine when something better comes along.”

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/6/18 8:54 p.m.

OK here goes my take....5.3L  twin scrolls .....home brewed spray......high 8's.....definitely way shallow nines...oh and a mid 30's AX for good measure.....g'night  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/7/18 6:02 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

I bet it is made by Chevrolet. A wise man once told me when asked if he’d ever attempt a different type of engine, “I’ll use a different engine when something better comes along.”

And then Chevy said to themself "Self, we can't design an engine to save our lives, so let's copy the 351C's generous intake ports and dry intake manifold, get the bottom end from the Ford Mod motor except without those berking jackscrews, and run a crank driven oil pump and rear oil gallery/main seal piece like the Buick Series II V6.  We'll still screw it up by saving money with inline valves instead of canted valves, but we'll but that sh-- in EVERYTHING, so we'll still get a following like we got with the small block"

laugh

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/7/18 6:10 p.m.

Air cooled flat 6?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/7/18 6:14 p.m.

I think i have Patrick pretty well figure out at this point. So i can definitely say that its a ford 302 on nitrous with an aod and solid rear. laugh

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/7/18 6:57 p.m.

Since buying his Ram, Pat's become a big fan of diesel... 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/16/18 1:37 p.m.

Minor developments as I hope to work on it this weekend.  Traded truck harness from the 4.8 for a c5 harness.  Now i can plug into the car, but have the wrong injector plugs.  

Also my $19.99 radiator is too wide, but unbeknownst to me c5 radiators are $55 shipped so I ordered one as well as a balancer so i can get the rack installed.  Plan has changed from do metalwork to make it run and move first.  First order of business was vacuum the pine needles from underhood, which meant cleaning off the hood

Also through archive.org I found the post on ls1tech from the local guy I bought my LS1 intake from for $20.  So I have to steal that off the Impala.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/16/18 4:20 p.m.

I have seen this project up close and personal. 

Color me impressed and very jealous.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/17/18 11:18 a.m.

Things are happening today including ingenious work light solutions 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/17/18 12:06 p.m.

File this under things to do before you put engine in and body on:  wash subframe to have clean working area.  Instead i chose to use a toothbrush and brake cleaner because i was too hasty to just roll it outside and pressure wash it

see: corvette balancer installed because this guy is going in next 

Next order of business: dig up a couple brake tees to eliminate the ABS pump because it’s not here but all the lines still are.  

Wiring diagram of c5 front and rear exterior lighting would be appreciated too if anyone has access to that so I can meld the two harnesses so the corvette switch controls the corvair lights.

current status: much like Saint Patrick did to the serpents of the Emerald Isle, the brake cleaner fumes have driven me from the garage 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/17/18 2:03 p.m.

Truck intake off, so much room for activities 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/17/18 2:29 p.m.

Starting to make sense of the fuse block location, will fit the new inner fender to the block for mounting.  Hoping to get it forward and low enough to be able to mount the battery in the OE c5 location behind the fuses.  All original battery cables are present so there would be zero reworking or cost involved to do that.  I’d even be fine with having to pull the coils and wiggle the battery in sideways to save the budget space and pain of new cables, kill switch, sealed box, and all the other pains of battery relocation 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/17/18 3:04 p.m.

Speaking of inner fenders, grabbed a pair off the scrap pile and started cutting using the “spit on your finger and mark on the dirt” method and am here on the passenger side 

Done for the day, going to dinner at my cousins house 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
3/17/18 3:07 p.m.

With the discovery of the intake, does that mean you could have left the hood uncut?? 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/17/18 3:29 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

With the discovery of the intake, does that mean you could have left the hood uncut?? 

Yep.  I’ll hunt down another one 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
3/17/18 4:56 p.m.

Nice progress!!!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/18/18 4:13 p.m.

For the first time in my stewardship, the c5 turns the wheels when you turn the steering wheel.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/18/18 4:48 p.m.

I like the cowl hood. Keep it. Especially with the patina it's got. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/18/18 5:03 p.m.

Starting to fit inner fender for real.  I guess after looking at the car versus the chassis and inner, the plan is fit the inner, cut away all that gray stuff above it leaving a lip under the outer fender, then make a new lighter gauge piece to fill it all in to clean everything up and delete the rest of the rot.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/18/18 5:30 p.m.

Is that from the big block donor?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/18/18 6:19 p.m.

No those didn’t exist anymore.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/18/18 6:26 p.m.

They were definitely a whole bunch of holes held together with very little rust....

They do look like gmt400 inners though. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/18/18 8:37 p.m.

Who knew corvette parts were so cheap.  Power steering pressure hose was $15.36 shipped from rock auto.  Hoping to take an old pump from a lumina or other such nonsense that i have and make it work.  They’re both type 2 pumps, so I don’t see why not.  I’ve dissected them before, and i’ll do it again 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/20/18 7:12 p.m.

Testing fit

165/40/17 v rated on 17x5 aluminum spare wheel.  Budget permitting, this is the front combo for drag racing 

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wO6c6DDDD7xZyABn5D6hxhwwfEkvWSLfsz42NaSTkfUKdhxPDyd7V4VTExaMkHKK