7 8 9 10
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/20/18 8:09 p.m.

I need something like that for a spare for my truck....

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/20/18 9:31 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I need something like that for a spare for my truck....

It’s about a $120 combo for wheel/tire/adapter. I think i can get wheels cheaper locally but just wanted to snag one quickly to test so ordered the cheapest one on eBay 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/30/18 7:26 a.m.

Update:  nothing to see here

just procuring parts with ebay discount codes.  Headers, x pipe, and mid pipes are on their way.  C5 radiator is going to work well, just need to find a cheap expansion tank at the junkyard or scrap guys that will work without the corvette tax.

I’m having some issue with the engine harness and really need to find a c5 that someone will let me look closely at.  The chassis is a 2000.  Engine harness i traded for says 2/2001 on the sticker.  Both autos, but i have one plug that goes to nothing i have and the TAC module plug has the notch on the wrong end of the plug.  TAC modules are advertised as 97-04 and the one that came with the car is the correct corvette only part number, so i’m a little confused there.  I found my factory service manual cd’s so i hope there are wiring diagrams on it.  The reason I kept all the corvette wiring was for ease of electrical work after spending 15+ hours with engine wiring on the Datsun, so i hope this is easy to figure out.  

I tore the a4 pulley tendon in my right ring finger Tuesday and didn’t stop to rest it all week so looking forward to this long weekend to start that healing process and get some easy things done.  

I was just staring at the engine bay and removed the engine harness, going to pull the fuse block and get all the wiring tied over tothe engine and covered up and worry about that later.  It’s become apparent to me that my plan is backwards and I really need to do all the engine bay metalwork and have it done and painted before i pursue wiring.  That way i only need to do everything once as opposed to mocking up, tearing down, then reassembly.  If this is going to be done for $2018 I don’t have much time to waste.  Thankfully baseball season is back, I do my best garage work with the Indians on my radio.  

Still have 2 gallons of rustoleum rusty metal primer and 3 gallons of low gloss black from when lowe’s put them on clearance several years ago when they switched something around.  Not sure if it was VOC compliance or what but when i saw all those 5 dollar gallons i loaded a cart with them.  

I really wanted to go forced induction but with the tuning learning curve it’s best to stick NA for now before i dive into that.  Plus that opens up a significant amount of budget that was set aside for boost purposes.  I know a 4.8/5.3 can take 150 shot of nitrous with ease if fueled properly so the $100 nitrous kit from eastsidetim will probably come into play at some point.  I really need to build a test stand so i can set an engine up and baseline tune it before it goes into anything.  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/30/18 8:11 p.m.

The main thing I have learned about LS swapping things is that Chevy hates you and wants your life to be diffcult if you want to swap things around.

The most difficult engine swap I have done (am in the process of doing) involved a '97 Camaro and a '98 Camaro engine.  Which required a '99 Camaro PCM to control the trans, because of course it needs a 4L80 due to all the boost that will be thrown in it.  A '99 PCM is completely different harness-wise from a '98 (LS1) Camaro, as well as the chassis ina '97 Camaro.   Basically, I have come to deeply appreciate my high school autos teacher who tried to instill in all of us a great disrespect for all things GM, even if Buick was pretty cool.

Don't be discouraged from forced induction.  You have local resources for that.  Also, NO project called Darth Nader could ever exist without making a lot of wheezy noises, so from a cultural correctness standpoint....

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/31/18 8:01 p.m.

While it may seem like 1 step forward 2 steps back, it’s just going to be easier starting with a blank slate so I chopped everything out from under the fender so i can work from a blank slate instead of cobbling E36 M3 together.  Bonus, cut out 10 pounds that otherwise would have stayed 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/31/18 8:49 p.m.

So above picture you can see my temporary frame to body bracket.  Angle tacked in.  I dragged the frame cutoff over to the garage so i can use that to make pieces to tie everything together permanently.  I caught some undercoating on fire and breathed the smoke(can’t see smoke with my plasma cutting goggles on) so i packed it in to let my lungsand sinuses recover.  I really should have grabbed my respirator from the trailer but lazy won.  Derp.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
4/1/18 5:03 a.m.
Patrick said:

Testing fit

165/40/17 v rated on 17x5 aluminum spare wheel.  Budget permitting, this is the front combo for drag racing 

I may need a set of for of those for your old car!

Have I mentioned lately that I heart you?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/1/18 7:42 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo :

Not since $2016

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
4/2/18 10:56 a.m.

Love it.

Carry on.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/6/18 9:26 a.m.

frown

17x8.5 c4 sawblades do not in fact fit the front of a c5.  So much for $35 wheels.   Looks like for autocross it’s going to be c5 17x8.5 up front and c4 17x9.5 sawblades in rear, then the c5 18x9.5 will get the drag radials.  If I don’t have budget room for front skinnies no big deal, I’ve learned a lot experimenting.  I’ll use them elsewhere.  Really think the skinny 17x4 GTO wheels would look awesome on the chevelle with the 17x11 grand sport rears.  

I spent a little time on it yesterday before getting mad at myself for not finishing garage cleanup before resuming work so i put a few hours in cleaning before attacking the Forester engine replacement.  That thing is holding me back and needs to move to someone new so i can get my money back out of it.  Budget isn’t constrained by the $2018, it’s constrained by my actual wallet right now.  I missed work most of December sick, still trying to play catch-up from missing a month of pay.  I’d really be screwed if not for a few grand in ebay sales the last few months.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
4/6/18 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

FWIW I have a pair of 17” C5 wagon wheels I picked up for $50 you’re welcome to. I can bring them up to IL in May if you want them?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/6/18 12:38 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Patrick :

FWIW I have a pair of 17” C5 wagon wheels I picked up for $50 you’re welcome to. I can bring them up to IL in May if you want them?

I’ll let you know.  I still kick myself for passing on a whole set of c5 wheels for $60.  This was before i ever could have expected building a corvette based challenge car 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/6/18 3:14 p.m.

Why don't the sawblades fit?  I put a set of the 17x9.5 ones on the front of mine.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/6/18 3:59 p.m.

The 9.5’s fit fine.  The 8.5’s hit the caliper before the hub hits the wheel, and it’s moot to use a spacer, because at that point more wheel/tire makes more sense with the 9.5 wide wheel.  Cheaper too.  I got a $100 set of c5 wagon wheels at Gimp’s house that i’ll have to make a point of getting sooner than later.  The sawblades were attractive because $70 for all 4 and whatnot.  I sold my 9.5” set of 88-90 wheels to johnny pruitt for his project.  If i run the wagon wheels up front and sawblades on back for turny rubber, i can switch to the wagon wheel in back with my drag radials so they match for concours without having to switch back.  $2017 i knew i could finish high in autocross, really high in drags, and do pretty good in concours.  I’m planning on similar autocross performance, little slower drag time, way better concours with this car.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/28/18 9:16 p.m.

I believe I discovered a skinny wheel i can modify slightly to fit the c5 with no adapter.   Not letting the cat out of the bag there because it looks like i’m the first person in Internet history to find this combo, and if that’s the case i may be able to bankroll the challenge project by buying all the ones i can find cheap, doing the machining, and selling to corvette guy at a profit.  

And on that, i think i want an lq4. Prefer a whole longblock but can be a good shortblock that i can slap heads/cam onto.  I want more understressed grunt for this car because i can see it doing the power tour and being generally usable for regular driving after the challenge.  A high strung forced induction 4.8 sounds easier to keep together in something i intend to drive less, where there is no time crunch and the tuning learning curve doesnt matter.  As it is i’m having a hard time seeing it be done for October.  Work is pretty nuts and i like playing with my kids too much to go to the garage after dinner.  

Almost ready to put the new engine into the Forester so that will hopefully be back on the road ready to sell soon.  

I’m ditching stuff left and right to make this a priority, but the Forester was too big a money maker to not get into.  

Probably more soon, i hope

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
4/28/18 10:07 p.m.

One of the worst parts of our recent trip was not being able to spend time looking at the project cars along the way. At least I got to lay hands on this one when we pushed it out of the way to get the engine and hoist by it. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/2/18 8:41 a.m.

Ok elsewhere  you've alluded to a 4.1/2 grinder attacking an appendage of yours.....so can one conclude that for all intents and purposes this is effectively shut down for this years' challenge (insert DUH here)????

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/2/18 10:19 a.m.

I think you need to still come to the challenge this year. You can borrow the Q”Ute” to run. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/2/18 11:38 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Ok elsewhere  you've alluded to a 4.1/2 grinder attacking an appendage of yours.....so can one conclude that for all intents and purposes this is effectively shut down for this years' challenge (insert DUH here)????

Well, I wasn’t going to let things public prior to the challenge but Darth Nader is mothballed.  Two reasons.  First and most bigly, the engine harness i got a killer deal on is the wrong year and will not plug into the chassis.  Second is the sheer amount of metalwork needed was going to take way too much time away from my kids.  It does roll steer and stuff by itself.  I’m not sure what the future holds, but for now it’s inside and covered up.  I would entertain offers if someone was ambitious enough to want to finish it, but it’s out of the way for now.  

There is another top secret build in the shop right now that was to be an all out drag monster this year, but with no drags we’re out.  I can’t get excited to autocross, i tried, it bores me.  I’m going to take advantage of saving $2000 on hotel, entry fees and diesel to knock out my remaining credit card debt so next year i’ll be free and clear to come play without making more credit card problems.  

I’m not sure the current build can be secret for 14 months or not, but i’m going to try.  

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
8/2/18 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'm excited to see what you have in store. Not going to the challenge has definitely taken a bit of pressure off. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/2/18 3:04 p.m.

Also i only lost 10 build days to the attempted thumb amputation.  More importantly i lost 0 days of work.  It’s about 70% back to normal, still some limited movement and numbness with extreme pain if i hit it with something.

$2019 should be interesting, we’ll see if i can keep my mouth closed or not.  If anything i’ll be waiting until i fire it for the first time and do an x bomb style build thread where it shows past happenings.  I’ll give one hint.  Proof of concept stage for engine with multiple power adders is well underway.  

Going to clear some headspace tomorrow at the Cincinnati art museum seeing the terra cotta army, will regroup Saturday and figure things out.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/2/18 3:27 p.m.
Patrick said:

Going to clear some headspace tomorrow at the Cincinnati art museum seeing the terra cotta army, will regroup Saturday and figure things out.

How much time do you have in Cincy?  I’m usually off work by 4:30 or so if you want to meet up.  At the very least, I recommend hitting Krohn Conservatory if you are going to be at the art museum.  It’s in the same park, so not out of the way at all.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/2/18 4:50 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Coming home after art museum, i’ll bug your phone if we’re still around for after work food time.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/2/18 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

No worries, it’s a long enough drive it makes sense to head back north as soon as possible.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/6/18 4:19 p.m.

Did some head clearing.  Here is where things currently lie

No decisions have been made on the future of this project, but i’m dead set on pulling the LS1 from the Impala and selling that as a roller.  To deter use of the ooollddddd tires i did a massive burnout yesterday to “test the posi” 

I originally was thinking LS swap the belair but duh, it’s got a 330hp vortec head 350 and th350 with 3k miles.  All I really should do is limited slip and 3.23ish gears.  So in all likelihood the 400+hp ls1 and low mile trans will find their way into the datsun for its post challenge life, and i’ll have the $169 5.3/trans for future challenge use.  It’s all documented and still runs fine, so probably makes sense to do it that way.  

I may do an x bomb type teaser build thread for the current project that kicked Darth Nader out of the garage at the end of may.  We’ll see what i feel like sharing and what I think can stay in the shop.

7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SksvUCAlpZ7PPjXVf2AwhsE9eRl9l9BPH3O3GX6N0wMjZXzpIhKNpC146zPvdaxU