8 9 10
Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/6/18 10:06 p.m.

10 extra concours points for the name alone.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/7/18 7:04 a.m.

I was sad to hear you weren't  coming, but mostly because I like hanging out with you and your family. One of these years I'm going to figure out how to work a stop by your garage into my travel schedule. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/7/18 7:20 a.m.

It’s a blessing in disguise for my finances.  

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
8/9/18 4:55 a.m.

Besides it gives you an entire 9 more days to work on "that other car"

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/14/18 2:32 p.m.

I have been informed by Carli, after receiving inquiry on the availability of Darth Nader by a grm’er, that I am not allowed to sell it.  So with this year being a no go and the other car being worked on for $2019, looks like $2020 is the goal here.  

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
8/14/18 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I was afraid to ask because I was scared of the answer.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/14/18 6:56 p.m.

Yeah $2020 challenge and then the HR Power tour?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/17/18 7:25 p.m.

So while main goals currently are finishing garage cleanup and Wartburg assembly, i’m plugging away at little Darth Nader bits.  I fought it but managed to mount one of the skinnies.  165/45 on 17x4.5 wheel that needs aluminum removed to fit.  

I REALLY need a 99-00 corvette automatic engine wiring harness.  The 01 harness i got isn’t right.  The entire build hinges on that harness cheap for challenge budget purposes.  There is ONE on ebay right now for $4xx and that’s not happening.

Ideally i find someone to trade me for the one i have.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/23/18 6:16 p.m.

Going back through the twitters i was able to salvage some pictures that I thought were gone with my old phone and the photobucket hostage crisis.  

Here’s where we started.  I’ll have the correct 2000 engine harness and pcm from Stampie via AngryCorvair freight service sometime in January.  

Once again I was tempted to sell this project to focus on something new(the 57 chevy that’s coming home Wednesday) and once again Carli reiterated that she will murder me if I do anything but finish it.

So we’ll get back on it when it gets warm out.  

Please be on the lookout for cheap c5 ls1 water pump, cheap non plastic race seat that will fit a larger gentleman, and a cheap to free center console and trims for that and the dash.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/23/18 6:19 p.m.

I mayhave a line on aluminium seats. Ill have to ask dallas, but i think hes going with different seats in the amc.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/23/18 6:36 p.m.
Patrick said:

Please be on the lookout for cheap c5 ls1 water pump, cheap non plastic race seat that will fit a larger gentleman, and a cheap to free center console and trims for that and the dash.  

I may have a couple Sparco seats that may suit your needs, if you are looking for something Challenge-worthy and not driver-worthy and/or FIA-legal.  (Mice/rats/something ate some of them, while leaving the post-digestion leftovers behind.  Also, they are way out of date)

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/23/18 7:03 p.m.

Challenge friendly is key.  Budget is going to be close because of the ambitious scale of challenging what is essentially a c5.  I have a $25 plastic seat and a $25 ebay special “racing” seat but the plastic seats frankly suck, and the ebay seat doesn’t fit my butt.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
12/23/18 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I sent a message to Aeromoto. He has the remnants of “a very bad day” of a former C5 owner. I’m not sure any of these parts survived(not much else did), but I’ll get you two in touch if he can help. 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/26/19 2:36 p.m.
Patrick said:

task: move car inside alone.  

step 1, formulate idea. 

step 2, visit harbor freight and spend $23

step 3, find junk laying around and build something.

the junk, cut and parts to be welded cleaned and/or beveled

the junk, welded together with my little flux core 20 year old century welder, because this crap is too dirty to bother pulling the lincoln mig out for

maybe at this point, you're thinking "wtf is this guy doing?" because i'm pretty sure that's what the bandsaw and bench grinder were thinking.  you may also ask yourself "where does harbor freight come into all this?" or tell yourself "this is not my beautiful wife" or ask "where is that large automobile?"

well, here is all that junk that i welded together, attached to the 4x6 post on the edge of the back garage door opening with structural screws.  yes, it is that awesome having a roll up door on the back of the garage especially for ventilation.

this is where harbor freight came into play.

ohhhhhh.  you mean i finally did that thing my wife has been telling me to do for years?  put a winch on the back wall of the garage?  yes, dear.  and the gear reduction of the worm drive makes it so easy even she can help now!  haha, evil genius strikes again.   but does it work?

started on blacktop

holy crap it works!  halfway onto concrete now.  it's slow going as the gearing makes for 7 cranks equal to one inch of pull, so i came in because my arms are tired.  i have some stuff left to move, mostly garbage for the dumpster, that i'm heading out now to load up to get rid of when i go pick up the kids.  our dumpster lives at my parents house, one of the perks of having a business.  

maschienbau i keep forgetting to get you pictures of the gantry.  i made it so i could pull the legs out and leave the top in place, will take some when i go outside to crank on the winch some more and sweep things.

Think the winch idea coulf be temporary mount to a cinderblock wall? Been looking for a way to get non-runners up the hill into my workbay without pushing with my truck. 

Ideal solution is to make a mount that bolts to the wall somehow, that the winch could be mounted to when needed, and the mount not be a stab hazard at all other times. 

Ideas?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/26/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Reece reeiverr hitch pocket in Wall?

Dusterbd13-michael
9/26/19 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

If the wall wasnt foundation, yes. I cant get inside or backside of it.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/26/19 3:12 p.m.

That's why I got Terence the tractor. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/26/19 3:36 p.m.

Sink female thread inserts into floor

instant removable winch mount

Dusterbd13-michael
9/26/19 3:48 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I didn't even THINK about the floor.

Good call.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/26/19 3:53 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Good call.

Of the car being a shelf covered with Wartburg and 57 chevy parts

Dusterbd13-michael
9/26/19 4:08 p.m.
Patrick said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Good call.

Of the car being a shelf covered with Wartburg and 57 chevy parts

Much cooler than the duster being a shelf for Miata and neon parts ....

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/26/19 4:30 p.m.

Or the Focus currently acting as a storage locker for my Ford Probe parts...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
9/26/19 8:22 p.m.

Can you make an adapter to attach a cordless drill to the winch?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/26/19 8:25 p.m.
vwcorvette said:

I guess I should update.  I welded the nut to the shaft and used the impact and it blew up the winch.  So i went all out and got the 120v winch and moved the mount to the floor, and it’s awesome.  I just add straps to get the length needed to pull stuff to the garage.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/27/19 10:41 a.m.
Patrick said:
vwcorvette said:

I guess I should update.  I welded the nut to the shaft and used the impact and it blew up the winch.  So i went all out and got the 120v winch and moved the mount to the floor, and it’s awesome.  I just add straps to get the length needed to pull stuff to the garage.  

it's like sometimes we share a name *and* a brain.

8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BkWsvPKV4BpKELKZXeIN5dGGq48nS77VoEK8RLXkQbzZM2ck4fPLQ1RgPHiLMQZj