1 2 3
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/16/20 12:46 p.m.

I'm separating this car out at least for now as it's our easy button for this year's Challenge. To catch you guys up this is a 350z I picked up from pimpm3 sans brakes and wheels and with a questionable engine that we hope is just timing chain.  Build starts in the morning but I need to do the work at a neighbor's since I'll be jacking it up.

Here she is ready to be towed over. Just waiting for Lil Stampie to get done with school.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
9/16/20 1:34 p.m.

Challenge 350Z!?!? I'm here for this.

Are you going with a junkyard bumper or some sort of a formula D tube bumper setup?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/16/20 1:51 p.m.

In reply to ebelements :

Not only Challenge but half budget Challenge.  Unfortunately the two yards here don't have any 350z's right now.  I like that bumper and my first thought is if we have time I could make something out of electrical conduit.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/20 1:53 p.m.

Since I won't be there, please uncork it.  Straight pipes.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/16/20 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Why do you hate so much?

Here's the current budget:

Known:

$313 Nissan 350z ($260 cash, $33 labor 4 hours x $8.25, and $20 tip to ex boxer)

$10 Radiator (FMV thread)

$28 Used timing chain off Ebay

$71.92 Junkyard brakes

Estimated:

Free four 15x7 wheels and 3 good  Toyo R1Rs

$150 1 good Toyo R1R (no budget hit)

$200 Brake pads and rotors (no budget hit)

Recovery:

$25 Sold 350z horn to myself.

Total:

$397.92

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/16/20 2:17 p.m.

$400 for a car?  Pretty decent wheeling and dealing there, even if it does need a bumper

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/16/20 2:33 p.m.

Wow, that's a cheap Z-car.  Must be Auto trans, I presume?

I'm surprised the 15x7s will clear the brake calipers.  Looks like fun though.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/16/20 2:37 p.m.

Looks awesome! Following with interest 

pretty soon every member on this forum, would have bought a car from, or have had a car purchase facilitated through PIMPM3

devilcheeky

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/16/20 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

This is how that happened. I was over where pimpm3 keeps his projects and he said he'd gotten this 350z off copart for ~$1800.  He'd bid on it without inspecting in person but once he started it up it had what he and I both thought was a rod knock. He said he'd no be able to flip it and make anything on it. While we're looking at it he says the Volks wheels were worth ~$1000 and the Brembo brakes ~$800.  I made him an offer of I'd remove those for him so he could sell and I'd pay any difference to get him at a break even point. That's how I got the car for $313.  It also has these on the passenger rear fender.

When I was loading the car to bring it home a very good mechanic that works there causally mentioned that I needed to change the timing chain real quick before it went. What we thought was rod knock he thinks is just the chain. We'll find out soon enough. 

Lil Stampie is out of school so we towed it over.

And our tow truck driver.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/16/20 2:40 p.m.
Hoondavan said:

Wow, that's a cheap Z-car.  Must be Auto trans, I presume?

I'm surprised the 15x7s will clear the brake calipers.  Looks like fun though.  

It is a 6 speed. Some of my initial talks with pimpm3 were about putting the trans behind the old Q45 engine. I'm positive I'll have to grind down on the calipers to get the wheels to fit. I had to on the Q45 and it's brakes are about the same size. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/16/20 2:57 p.m.

Watching with interest, carry on!

9/16/20 4:44 p.m.

I don't hate, i just want to hear uncorked vq35 videos

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 5:00 p.m.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/16/20 5:57 p.m.

oh man, so much potential...

MUCH EXCITE!

BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter)
BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) New Reader
9/16/20 6:18 p.m.

Yup, the plastic timing chain guides are a common issue and sound like bottom end noise.  I did the timing chains, guides and tensioner (and water pump since you are in there) on a friend's daughter's Nissan Maxima about 3 years ago with what is essentially the same engine turned sideways and jammed up tight against the passenger's frame rail.  The long plastic guides for the timing chain from the crank up to each bank break over time causing chain slap and dodgy timing.  I skipped the Step One: Drop Engine part, doubled up on swear words and beer and got er done.  I did end up using a die grinder on an alternator bolt.  I did a deeper dive than you probably need to and changed all of the chains - crank chain and the two chains between intake and exhaust on each bank.  Some, but not a lot, of blind wrenching in that configuration.  Your front to back layout should be less frustrating as far as access goes.  One important tip:  I remember having to drop the (lower?) oil pan to remove a bolt or two that runs straight up into the face of the front engine cover.  Miss those and you'll break stuff.   My special tool was a strap wrench to hold the cam pulley's hydraulic timing adjusto-mo-gizmo.  Can't even remember why, but it was helpful.

If you are really trying to make budget, you only absolutely have to replace the broken plastic guides.  Insert  Jeffrey the Mad Englishman's comments to me about "false economy."  I still have all the torque specs taped to a cabinet in the garage somewhere if you need them.

Good luck,

Brian C.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/16/20 6:53 p.m.

In reply to BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) :

I'm all about false economy for the Challenge and that's our plan.  Once I get it broken down I'll see what the root problem is and slap her on the ass before I run her.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/16/20 7:06 p.m.

Diggin it!

The young Stampy isn't that Lil any more. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/16/20 7:35 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Same kid 2015 Challenge.

As you know it goes way to quick.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/16/20 9:46 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I just want to watch uncorked vq35 videos, on mute

FTFY

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/17/20 7:55 a.m.

It's official, I've now spent more on brakes than the entire rest of the car.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/17/20 8:33 a.m.

Watching. I love and hate 350z but a cheap one is all love. 

9/17/20 8:45 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Same kid 2015 Challenge.

As you know it goes way to quick.

Robbie photobomb

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/17/20 8:56 a.m.

Lug nuts not install yet but preliminary test fit says little to no grinding needed.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/17/20 9:02 a.m.

Be sure to put it on the ground and roll it. i had a similar fitment that i thought i was in the clear, but when placed on the ground and all stresses and moments applied, it did in fact start rubbing. 

Better safe than sorry. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/17/20 9:21 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

Yep will do.  Seems I removed a bracket for the soft line with the Brembos but didn't grab that bracket in the junkyard.  I have something at 11 then I'll go grab those.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HlX0kIyHRU8Q6CtxjyjBRBxmr2voNRwPNxPjE2wSp2BiaCkX9vn6FIlYshLn3R7O